Article ITT I attempt to review every movie I've seen.

Midnight Madness

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081159/

Night Shift

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084412/

Fast Times at Ridgemont High

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083929/

The Breakfast Club

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088847/

Men At Work

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100135/

The Magnificent Ambersons

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0035015/

I could go on and on being a bit of a movie buff myself, check em out and let me know what ya think!

If you need some more ideas on movies to review, I can probobly name a couple of hundred off the top of my head.
 
Do atlas shrugged part 1.
And Princess Monanoke
And spirited away
 
Last edited:
Wahh? I ignore this thread for a week or two and I have 13 review requests. I finish finals on Wednesday so I'll start reviewing again then. But I'll go over whether or not I've seen the movies, if not then the likelihood that I'll ever watch them.

Casablanca: Seen it...like four or five times

City by the Sea: Haven't seen it. Don't know if I will.

The Godfather Part 2: Seen it.

The Godfather Part 3: Seen it.

Midnight Madness: Haven't seen it. Due to the nature of the film, I doubt I will.

Night Shift: Haven't seen it. It stars Henry Winkler, might see it.

Fast Times at Ridgemont High: Haven't seen it. It's suppose to be one of the big 80s comedies that everyone loves. Because of its pop-culture significance I might see it...but truth be told I've never been a fan of 80s comedies.

The Breakfast Club: Check page 117.

Men At Work: I don't even know what to say about this one.

The Magnificent Ambersons: One of those films that I've always ment to see, but never go around to it.

Atlas Shrugged Part 1: Couldn't pay me money to see it and this is coming from someone whose read Atlas Shrugged and the Fountainhead.

Princess Monanoke & Spirited away: http://www.edgegamers.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1373883&postcount=289
 
Wahh? I ignore this thread for a week or two and I have 13 review requests. I finish finals on Wednesday so I'll start reviewing again then. But I'll go over whether or not I've seen the movies, if not then the likelihood that I'll ever watch them.

Casablanca: Seen it...like four or five times

City by the Sea: Haven't seen it. Don't know if I will.

The Godfather Part 2: Seen it.

The Godfather Part 3: Seen it.

Midnight Madness: Haven't seen it. Due to the nature of the film, I doubt I will.

Night Shift: Haven't seen it. It stars Henry Winkler, might see it.

Fast Times at Ridgemont High: Haven't seen it. It's suppose to be one of the big 80s comedies that everyone loves. Because of its pop-culture significance I might see it...but truth be told I've never been a fan of 80s comedies.

The Breakfast Club: Check page 117.

Men At Work: I don't even know what to say about this one.

The Magnificent Ambersons: One of those films that I've always ment to see, but never go around to it.

Atlas Shrugged Part 1: Couldn't pay me money to see it and this is coming from someone whose read Atlas Shrugged and the Fountainhead.

Princess Monanoke & Spirited away: http://www.edgegamers.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1373883&postcount=289

Ill be more than happy to watch Fast Times at Ridgmont High for ya. Ive seen a few parts of that movie, so I def wanna get that movie over w/. Same goes for Men At Work. Ill be more than happy to review them for ya if ud like.

Also since I recently re-watched Iron Eagle, ill give ya a review on that movie (I dont think uve reviewed that 1).
 
Thor_poster.jpg


Title: Thor
Year: 2011
Country of Origin: US
Director: Kenneth Branagh

Story: Norse god get banished to earth...hilarity ensues.

Review: When I first heard that Kenneth Branagh was going to be directing Thor I couldn't believe it. We're talking about a guy whose predominantly known for his adaptation of Shakespearean plays, heck my favorite film of his is his 1996 adaptation of Hamlet. So him directing, not just a comic book movie, but a movie on the Thor comic seemed to be a recipe for disaster. After seeing Thor, I can't imagine anyone else in the directing this one.

Branagh's Shakespearean sensibilities are used well here considering that part of Thor is as overtly dramatic and bombastic as any Shakespearean play. Though the most impressive feat is that the film works the way it does. Quite frankly Thor is one of the most ridicules films I've seen in a long time. The acting is over the top, as with the costumes and the CGI and just about anything else in this film. But the whole production is so well constructed that the film works. Though with all of that said, it would be a failure of a summer film if it wasn't any fun. On that count the film succeeds in spades, Thor might be one of the most fun films that I've seen in a while.

Are there flaws? Yeah, there are flaws. Some characters aren't well developed...like Natalie Portman's character. The plot feels a little rushed at times and those dutch angles are noticeably annoying. Still with like another fifty or so comic book movies coming out this summer, Thor is a damn fine way to start. Here's hoping that the Captain America movie is as good as this one. Also on a side note Chris Hemsworth just might be the most ridiculously good looking person that I have seen in quite sometime.

[7/10]
 
Last edited:
LA-Noire-Box-Art.jpg


Title: L.A. Noire
Year: 2011
Country of Origin: Australia
Director: Brendan McNamara

Wait what?: Yeah, I know...L.A. Noire is not a movie and is in fact a game. Though in my defense it was the first game to be entered into the Tribeca Film Festival, where it received official selection. So considering it won a top honor at a film festival, I think it's fair game.

Introduction: To tell the truth I've been waiting for L.A. Noire to come out since the first teaser trailer was released back in 2006. I'm still not sure if the game was worth the five year wait. It's the first game developed by Team Bondi, but that doesn't matter since the game plays and looks like a Rockstar game. So how does this game hold up against Rockstar's other games, does it live up to it's own unbelievable hype?

Plot: If there is a common theme running through all of Rockstar's games this generation, it's the theme of Man and his past. Or more specifically, Man's inability to escape from his past. We've seen this theme with GTA4's Niko Bellic and RD:R's John Marston. They are both men whose past deeds have caught up with them. Then there is Cole Phelps, who is by far and away the most depressing character yet. I wont go into detail, but by the end of the game you just feel sorry for the guy. This is a good sign by the way, since it means that Cole Phelps is a well written character. It's hard to feels sorry for a poorly written cardboard cutout. This goes for most of the characters in the story, L.A. Noire is one of the rare games where just about every character has personality. Sure there are those that aren't exactly memorable, but that's just the way it should be...considering how many people you interact with along the way.

Anyway the game takes place in 1947 Los Angeles, a city that is exploding in wealth, population, and size. It's literally a place that went from a speck on the map to a sprawling metropolis in almost no time. It was a city where drugs and violence run rampant and had a police force that was corrupt to its core. It's also a city where a whole generation was returning from a violent and horrific war to their old mundane jobs. It's the perfect setting for a good Noire story and this game doesn't miss the opportunity to tell one...or several. The game could be split into four or five parts each with their own set of self contained cases. Though many of the cases do relate to each other, especially latter in the game. My only issue with the plot though is that it gets a little disjointed at times, which is to be expected in a game. That and it's a little predictable, especially if you've read a Noire novel or watched a Noire film in the past. With that said, the game still puts it's own spin on things and despite being overtly familiar the plot still manages to feel fresh.

One of the big things going for this game is it's of the MotionScan technology, which allows for realistic facial animations. This is done by utilizing 32 cameras to capture an actors facial movements. This technology helps to lend realism and believability to the cast of L.A. Noire. The motion scan technology is so good that you'll recognize actors throughout the game. It's really some impressive technology and if developed and used further in the industry it could drastically change story telling in gaming.

Gameplay: L.A. Noire is not a game that has many original ideas Gameplay wise. Most of the gameplay that makes up the L.A. Noire experience has been done before and in some cases have even been done better. Though what makes L.A. Noire impressive gameplay wise, is how all the various elements come together so cohesively as to where it almost seems that there nothing is out of place. That is not to say that the game is perfect by any means, the character controls are way to lose for what the player is asked to do. The cover system is way to sticky for my liking and pick up evidence to investigate can be a real pain sometimes. Though the biggest issue with the game is that it can get really monotonous at times, especially while your on homicide. Sure the game tries to do something to break the repetition of evidence hunting and questioning with chasing down suspects, on foot or by car, but even they get tiresome. It is a flaw that is a massive issue, but one that is somewhat resolved in the second half of the game.

Conclusion: To put it bluntly, there aren't any games like L.A. Norie. This is a one of a kind experience and one that pretty much any gamer worth their salt should try out. Sure it has it's flaws, but this is one of the rare AAA games that is willing to take a chance out side of the mundane shooters that us gamers are asked to buy each year. So if your looking for a game that has a decent story and gameplay that is for the most part fun. Then look no further than L.A. Noire.

[8/10]
 
Last edited:
Have you reviewed Dead Man yet?

Johny Depp western, from (I think) 1995. One of my personal favorite Depp films, it was definitely not directed by Tim Burton.
 
Have you reviewed Dead Man yet?

Johny Depp western, from (I think) 1995. One of my personal favorite Depp films, it was definitely not directed by Tim Burton.

I've sort of wanted to see Dead Man, but there is just something about Jim Jarmusch that I can't stand. He's almost like the American Lars von Trier or something...just way to pretentious.
 
Hey there Sexy Beast.

I was thinking of a few movies that you might not have reviewed yet, and I finally came to one that is surprisingly not on your list.

It's called "9". It's the one that's like a post-apocalyptic world with the nine little puppet dudes. I found it quite enjoyable, but I would love to see your take on it as well.

Thanks!
 
Yeah, I know this post should be a film review...of probably Witness, but yeah...

There is a this film coming out called Drive and normally I would avoid a film like this, but the director is Nicolas Winding Refn. You know, or probably don't, he's the guy who directed this, this, and the yet to be reviewed Pusher series. So he's pretty much the last guy one would expect to direct this sort of movie. What is also uprising is that Refn has already won best director at Cannes Film Festival this year for Drive. The film is set for a September release date and here is a clip from to movie to show just how awesome this looks:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ-1PtveVGw[/ame]
 
Okay Sexy Beast, I have a movie for you that is AMAZING and not on your list!

October Sky, came out 1999 and stars Jake Gyllenhaal.
 
Witness_movie.jpg


Title: Witness
Year: 1985
Country of Origin: US
Director: Peter Weir

Story: An odd fish out of water story about a police(?) officer who has to stay with an Amish family to protect a young boy who witnessed a murder.

Review: I saw this movie once maybe eight years ago. So it is understadable if I can't remember much of the film. As such I can't really review the film, I do remember that I liked the film and I know that it is a Harrison Ford classic. I guess I can say that it is probably a film worth watching, but not one that I can give a score to.

[Not Scored]
 
October_sky_poster.jpg


Title: October Sky
Year: 1999
Country of Origin: US
Director: Joe Johnston

Story: Based on the true story of Homer Hickam, a young man who grew up in coal country and wound up becoming an engineer for NASA.

Review: October Sky is a low key, but worth while tale about following your dreams even when everyone thinks that its not worth following. This is the kind of non-manipulative, but none-the-less inspirational tale that I can get behind. Its a well acted film with top marks go to a 19 year old Jake Gyllenhaal, who does a phenomenal job with his role. Also kudos to Joe Johnston, who does a pretty good job directing this material. Overall, this is a film that is well worth tracking down and watching.

[8.5/10]
 

Latest posts

Back
Top