Gimmi tips

UReadMyName

Active Member
Joined
Mar 23, 2013
Messages
403
So I'm new to this game and the title says it all :D I've only been rocking the sniper since it's the only role I play in every fps game. I got like a .5KDR from my first match so :( Anything you guys suggest the battlefield guy? :thumbup1:
 
Getting better at TF2 all comes from practice. This especially goes for the sniper, it all really takes practicing and you will eventually develop some nice habits for landing some headshots. However, if you want tools that can help, I would suggest tinkering with your advanced options to what suits you best, turning your FOV to 90 (fov_desired 90 in console), and especially experimenting with your key bindings to see what you like. Studying some youtube videos could help too.

But like I said before, it's really all just practice. Put enough time and effort into something and you will become the best. Good luck!
 
I would suggest trying out the different classes and seeing which one suits your fancy, if you plan on staying with sniper just remember charging before you peek around corners can help, and go for the headshots. Or spec the top player in the server/youtube good TF2 snipers. :) GL
 
I'm figuring out what I like and trying to improve as well. I've found my go to class to be scout or medic. Although, I tend to change classes based on my opponent's class and what my team needs. Only classes I never play are demoman and soldier. I really suck at demoman and soldier.
 
I would try playing different classes and finding which one you like. Once you have found one you like you need to practice. A lot. After that try out some MGE or something like that to get even more practice in. Good luck! :w00t:
(For sniper I would recommend trying to quick scope and be good at air head shots (Air head shots are good practice on Harvest!))
 
Practice Practice Practice.. more you learn a class and the load out the better you will become.
 
Practice matters. Watch a few of the better snipers (Snake, Hollowsoul/Sol, Bowling Lane) too. They're all very mobile and try to make things happen rather than waiting for the action to come to them.

Something that I think new players don't get used to doing early enough is switching weapons. Your secondary and melee are really the best choice at times. And if you're a sniper who wants his teammates to love him, you'll carry Jarate and use it liberally. Plus, what other game lets you soak the other guys in pee?

If you're looking to branch out, Soldier might be a good place to start. He has a high ceiling but he's accessible too since rockets are easy to rack up kills with. TF2 isn't really like other FPS. Only Heavy has a point and shoot gun style weapon and he's sort of immobile. Every other class has wonky weapons and tactics.

Edit - Also, pick a class or two and stick with them for a while. Good rounds will come. And don't forget to have fun!
 
Hey man, wassup?

A few tips I can give you for sniper:

Move around
Use Jarate
Don't twitch that much. Wait for the enemy to run into your crosshairs. Unless they're standing still, in which case you twitch.
Practice practice practice. There's no easy way to get pr0.

I hope to play with you soon!

By the way, all the good snipers play on Dustbowl often. A lot of very good players in any class play on Dustbowl, so it's a good place to learn. Don't expect much from your KDR at first though.
 
Last edited:
we have things known as spies, vicious creatures, every sniper shouldn't leave home without a razorback :D http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Razorback

I dont play the class often but usually find myself switching from the cozycamper to razorback and eventually to a nice friendly pyro due to those men in suits.:P
 
Last edited:
If we're talking TF2 in general, Monday's got one of the best tips. Keep looking around, cause the game dynamic changes quickly. If you're looking for sniper tips, I would suggest a lot of time behind the rifle. A lot comes from practice quick scoping in on targets and moving out of the line of fire before being seen by another sniper. Also watch for sharks. They do play our servers *cough Cough Raynor
 
I would try a different class. A lot of people do exactly what you did: play the sniper because that is roughly mechanically analogous to how all the other FPS games work. TF2 is a very different beast, though, and the faster you embrace that fact, the better.

TL;DR, be a pyro, go for the flank, and kill everyone with fire. EVERYONE.
 
I played for about another 2 hours trying different classes and the only other one I liked was medic. My friend gave me a few rifles and bow and arrow
 
Medic is a really good class to play on maps you're unfamiliar with even if you don't like the class.

If you like playing medic, I recommend this: Always keep moving. Always. I don't care if the heavy you're healing is parked beside a dispenser for ammo and is just crouching there murdering everything in sight. KEEP MOVING. When at all possible, spam the space key and/or crouch-jump all the time.

This makes it harder for snipers and spies to target you, though spies usually just pwn you in the face no matter what you do. Spam from soldiers and demos will tend to launch you very far if you crouch-jump all the time. This is usually good because you often go flying away from more damage and you usually take less damage than if you had been standing on the ground.


I don't have any sniper tips because I am one of the worst snipers you will ever find. I always jump and move around a lot as sniper and people tell me I'm hard to hit, but I can't shoot people worth anything so I got nothing there
 
I would try a different class. A lot of people do exactly what you did: play the sniper because that is roughly mechanically analogous to how all the other FPS games work. TF2 is a very different beast, though, and the faster you embrace that fact, the better.

TL;DR, be a pyro, go for the flank, and kill everyone with fire. EVERYONE.

and have a medic, very important. Its the best way to Sanc.. i mean Pyro <3 Sanc. lol
 
I saw you land a couple nice shots yesterday on Dustbowl. That was awesome!

However, I'd like to point out that the smg sucks. Hard. I wouldn't charge anyone with it. Use it as a last, last resort. Your melee will do a lot more damage and has a higher crit chance.
 
I saw you land a couple nice shots yesterday on Dustbowl. That was awesome!

However, I'd like to point out that the smg sucks. Hard. I wouldn't charge anyone with it. Use it as a last, last resort. Your melee will do a lot more damage and has a higher crit chance.

Technically, the SMG has a better damage per second than the sniper melee weps, excluding the jarate/bushwacka combo. Source: http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Sniper_strategy#Submachine_Gun

That said, who doesn't use Jarate/bushwacka? :P
 
Technically, the SMG has a better damage per second than the sniper melee weps, excluding the jarate/bushwacka combo. Source: http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Sniper_strategy#Submachine_Gun

That said, who doesn't use Jarate/bushwacka? :P

Well, you have to hit all your shots and in comparison the Melees crit often. Also, the Jarate-Bushwhacker combo is awesome. If you don't Bushwhack the other guy to death, someone else will clean up the mess. I'm not sure raw DPS is the best way to judge the Sniper's other weapons. Intangibles matter.
 
Technically, the SMG has a better damage per second than the sniper melee weps, excluding the jarate/bushwacka combo. Source: http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Sniper_strategy#Submachine_Gun

That said, who doesn't use Jarate/bushwacka? :P

People who use the Machina.

Even I'm using a regular sniper, I can no scope players while I'm retreating. You can't do that with the Machina, that's why I use the SMG/Cleaner's Carbine.

My advice:

Stay out of my cross hairs, head shots hurt.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top