Thompson vs MP40

Status
Not open for further replies.

WD40

I made one post
Joined
Dec 5, 2009
Messages
8
Simple question: Which gun is better?

I usually play on the Axis so I don't use the Thompson very much, should I start picking it up when I see it?
 
Simple question: Which gun is better?

I usually play on the Axis so I don't use the Thompson very much, should I start picking it up when I see it?

<(^_^)> (>^_^)> <(^_^<) ...wha? Oh, answers. Well, consider:

Code:
MP40
"Damage" "40"
"Accuracy" "0.055"
"AccuracyMovePenalty" "0.1"
"Recoil" "2.2"
"Penetration" "1.0"
"FireDelay" "0.09"
"IdleTimeAfterFire" "5.0"
"IdleInterval" "5.0"
"BulletsPerShot" "1"
"WeaponType" "SubMG"
"clip_size" "30"
"primary_ammo" "DOD_AMMO_SUBMG"
"secondary_ammo" "None"
"weight" "20"
"item_flags" "0"
"printname" "#Weapon_MP40"
"bucket" "0"
"bucket_position" "1"

Thompson
"Damage" "40"
"Accuracy" "0.055"
"FireDelay" "0.085"
"AccuracyMovePenalty" "0.1"
"Recoil" "2.15"
"Penetration" "1.0"
"FireDelay" "0.085"
"IdleTimeAfterFire" "5.0"
"IdleInterval" "5.0"
"BulletsPerShot" "1"
"WeaponType" "SubMG"
"clip_size" "30"
"primary_ammo" "DOD_AMMO_SUBMG"
"secondary_ammo" "None"
"weight" "20"
"item_flags" "0"
"printname" "#Weapon_Thompson"
"bucket" "0"
"bucket_position" "1"

MP40 = longer firing delay, greater recoil, same damage, accuracy, clip size, accuracy movement penalty and all else. On paper, the thompson is slightly better. Not huge, slightly. Conclusion: play to your preference.

Done, and everything after this post is anecdotal so let's get that out of the way.

But, I dunno, I like the MP40 beter and i gets more hs's

No wai dood thompson pwns and ill pwn u with it 2

Got everything covered boss, answered, locked? :crying:
 
Depends, in the game. Most of the US weapons have been nerfed. Otherwise it would be totally unfair for the German side. A point which the game designers built in. They also made the maps favor the German side.

The strongest advantage to taking your enemies weapons is that they can't track you by the sound. If you can get behind them then they won't know its an enemy shooting them until they're dead and they see the kill scroll.
 
I still say the B.A.R is supreme! but I prefer Thompson, just refer to my Links in my Sig =) Advantages & Disadvantages of Weapons DODS
 
Last edited:
n00b tube hands down. It can head shot better then any sniper from farther away. THOMPSON FTW.
 
n00b tube hands down. It can head shot better then any sniper from farther away. THOMPSON FTW.

You told me you break out in hives whenever you pick up anything besides the Scoped k98.
 
i found this really funny, i saw this thread and was like " Hey! that looks familar!", sure enough, when looking through my old post, the first thread i ever made on the forums was:

http://www.edgegamers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=86709

MP40 Vs. Thompson!

and you were all wrong


lol, it is ALL psychological. The only empirical evidence that exists is listed above, every other opinion you guys form on the two weapons is from experience and will vary. Which weapon is better? Why, it's the one you do better with! It's in your heads dudes.
 
You told me you break out in hives whenever you pick up anything besides the Scoped k98.

You of all people should remember my Donner days, that's where we met, I'm hurt that you don't remember :crying:

But for almost 6 months I wielded that Thompson with reckless abandon. You think they hate me on Flash now, you should have seen the spite that axis side had for me :cool:
 
MP40
"Recoil" "2.2"
"FireDelay" "0.09"

Thompson
"Recoil" "2.15"
"FireDelay" "0.085"

This is what sets them apart and in my opinion gives the Thompson its edge over the MP40. While it may not seem like much, it matters.

I once went one on one against CaptGoomba for an hour and a half. He had the Thompson and I had the MP40. I could not win. Every time he would absolutely destroy me. It was only after getting killed 8 times in a row that I was somehow able to kill him, that I would steel his. I was then able to go toe to toe with him. This is how it went every time. It was a frustrating hour and a half, it was absolutely fun, but frustrating.

The stats show it's not all in your head. The Thompson, a.k.a. n00b tube, is just a better gun. Besides, it was on the winning side of WWII :P
 
MP40
"Recoil" "2.2"
"FireDelay" "0.09"

Thompson
"Recoil" "2.15"
"FireDelay" "0.085"

This is what sets them apart and in my opinion gives the Thompson its edge over the MP40. While it may not seem like much, it matters.

I once went one on one against CaptGoomba for an hour and a half. He had the Thompson and I had the MP40. I could not win. Every time he would absolutely destroy me. It was only after getting killed 8 times in a row that I was somehow able to kill him, that I would steel his. I was then able to go toe to toe with him. This is how it went every time. It was a frustrating hour and a half, it was absolutely fun, but frustrating.

The stats show it's not all in your head. The Thompson, a.k.a. n00b tube, is just a better gun. Besides, it was on the winning side of WWII :P

I bet you if you gave a new player a thompson and another new player the MP40 the MP40 would win. More recoil coupled with a new players inability to control recoil in general leads to more headshots from those players aiming at center mass, which is most players. But this is an impossible determination to make because there's just no way to test how much (or how little) a difference these stats actually make. The point is moot. We're talking about .005 of a second firing delay difference? And a .05 recoil difference? Is that a pixel multiplier? Displacement from weapon origin? It all seems so insignificant especially when you consider Support weapons have more than TWICE the recoil. That's the scale we're working with, it's just so little a difference.
 
Before it turns into an arguement, let us just say that each person will find something in each weapon that is better.

Just play with either weapon and you will learn which one you prefer
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top