A MOTD stating the server rules?

The problem with popup boxes is that people blow past them without reading the rules.

They can run past billboards too of course, but they can't claim the couldn't see them, and they are there every time you spawn.

sm_msay sends a message in a menu panel, requiring user input to close. If we simply put "Press 1 to accept server rules" in the msay message with the server rules then there is absolutely no defensible argument the player can make when they are caught breaking the rules. They can't say they didn't see the message because they closed it. They can say they didn't read the rules, but we can then say "then why did you actively accept them?" It's the same thing with the MOTD. You have to hit OK to close the MOTD with the server rules, it is implicit acceptance, and a clause should be added that states "By clicking OK, you agree to follow our rules etc etc." and if they don't agree with them they can disconnect.

It still boils down to warn/kick/ban, who cares if they have read the rules? It doesn't matter. If they break one then they get warned that they've broken it, no harm done.
 
Last edited:
I think we should flood the drop box with this idea.

I disagree with you entirely. When people flood the box with the exact same thing, it looks suspicious in the first place, and just annoys the people that have to physically move all those threads to the completed section after copy-pasting the same response to each thread asking the exact same question.

We're working to try and just get the basic functionality of our servers back at this point, and this type of stuff will be next on the list. As for sm_msay, I believe it does disappear after long enough (about 30 seconds, if I remember right). The point remains, the rules "should" be somewhere. They never appeared on my computer for some reason with Vista and downloading server files (I never heard the bandage for medic either), but when we had the Verizon ads, they were essentially sprays on different surfaces. This is along the same lines, and could potentially be doable. The MOTD would obviously be the preferred option, though.
 
The TF2 servers have something like this as well...Its a message that pops up whenever you join an eGO server and you have to press 0 to exit the window...Doesnt pop up for admins and its nice to have
 
I disagree with you entirely. When people flood the box with the exact same thing, it looks suspicious in the first place, and just annoys the people that have to physically move all those threads to the completed section after copy-pasting the same response to each thread asking the exact same question.

We're working to try and just get the basic functionality of our servers back at this point, and this type of stuff will be next on the list. As for sm_msay, I believe it does disappear after long enough (about 30 seconds, if I remember right). The point remains, the rules "should" be somewhere. They never appeared on my computer for some reason with Vista and downloading server files (I never heard the bandage for medic either), but when we had the Verizon ads, they were essentially sprays on different surfaces. This is along the same lines, and could potentially be doable. The MOTD would obviously be the preferred option, though.

Servers I've been on for sm_msay auto kick you if you do not agree. I really don't know much about server functions and commands though....
 
sm_msay sends a message in a menu panel, requiring user input to close. If we simply put "Press 1 to accept server rules" in the msay message with the server rules then there is absolutely no defensible argument the player can make when they are caught breaking the rules. They can't say they didn't see the message because they closed it. They can say they didn't read the rules, but we can then say "then why did you actively accept them?" It's the same thing with the MOTD. You have to hit OK to close the MOTD with the server rules, it is implicit acceptance, and a clause should be added that states "By clicking OK, you agree to follow our rules etc etc." and if they don't agree with them they can disconnect.

It still boils down to warn/kick/ban, who cares if they have read the rules? It doesn't matter. If they break one then they get warned that they've broken it, no harm done.

I disagree. I believe that if the rules were stated in an MOTD upon joining our servers that it could make one aware of the rules ahead of time, perhaps even lowering the likelihood of someone breaking the rules. I see the rule most commonly broken is swearing. I'm 100% confident that if that rule alone was stated in an MOTD that it would in fact lower the odds of someone swearing.

The only exception is those who join a server to specifically break the rules, & we'll never be able to do anything about that besides kick/ban.


I do agree on the warn kick/ ban system, but I just think that it could potentially save us some trouble as admins.
 
I disagree. I believe that if the rules were stated in an MOTD upon joining our servers that it could make one aware of the rules ahead of time, perhaps even lowering the likelihood of someone breaking the rules. I see the rule most commonly broken is swearing. I'm 100% confident that if that rule alone was stated in an MOTD that it would in fact lower the odds of someone swearing.

The only exception is those who join a server to specifically break the rules, & we'll never be able to do anything about that besides kick/ban.


I do agree on the warn kick/ ban system, but I just think that it could potentially save us some trouble as admins.

What do you disagree with? I was saying that sm_msay is just the same as an MOTD, because you have to actively push a button to close out of either, and I support using both. But it doesn't mean people read them. I don't join a server and peruse MOTDs, I spam "Enter, 3 (random team) 3 (support class)" as quick as I can. There are a lot more people who don't care what the MOTD says than there are people who do. It just gives us something to point to when someone breaks a rule i.e. "@Please don't use inappropriate language on our server, type 'motd' to view the complete list of rules" so they can no longer use the argument "Well, your rules weren't posted anywhere so how do I know?!"

Anything is more effective than nothing, but don't expect it to curb bad behavior by too much; people still won't read it
 
What do you disagree with? I was saying that sm_msay is just the same as an MOTD, because you have to actively push a button to close out of either, and I support using both. But it doesn't mean people read them. I don't join a server and peruse MOTDs, I spam "Enter, 3 (random team) 3 (support class)" as quick as I can. There are a lot more people who don't care what the MOTD says than there are people who do. It just gives us something to point to when someone breaks a rule i.e. "@Please don't use inappropriate language on our server, type 'motd' to view the complete list of rules" so they can no longer use the argument "Well, your rules weren't posted anywhere so how do I know?!"

Anything is more effective than nothing, but don't expect it to curb bad behavior by too much; people still won't read it

This.

I'm 100% confident that if that rule alone was stated in an MOTD that it would in fact lower the odds of someone swearing.

It doesn't have much of an effect. If people are going to swear they're going to swear. If they legitimately didn't know it was against the rules, you can warn them and they will more than likely stop. If they continue, an admin warning didn't help, what makes you think that MOTD will? There is nothing wrong with having an inappropriate language admin chat bind.

As far as I'm concerned, if swearing happens and you have warned someone using m_say or c_say or y@, the whole server was warned. You don't have to worry about warning player after player about swearing. Just because a single person wasn't given their warning individually doesn't mean they cant be kicked. They just saw their buddy get warned for it, and they did it anyway.
Consequently, if a player then swears shortly after then its just a kick.

An MOTD has little effect on this. Do we kick people who swear immediately on infraction? No. We warn them first. The MOTD is not considered a warning; otherwise the phrase would go: KICK/BAN. Those who will follow the rules about swearing will heed your warning should you issue one via adminchat. Those who don't care about the rules will continue to do whatever they feel like regardless if there is a list of rules on the MOTD.

Also, don't look for trouble, take action when the server is being disrupted. If someone says damn, and it didn't cause a problem, you don't need to jump down their throat in admin chat, kindly psay them and let them know that its not allowed.

As ronpaul said, its nice to have something to point to when you want to re-iterate the rules of the server, but it should hardly determine your actions as far as WKB is concerned.

Like Jeod said above, the MOTD is low on the priority list right now, there are plenty of other plugins that need to be fixed just to get the servers back to normal. Buck up and admin - we shouldn't rely on these things to keep the server in order because obviously, they aren't always there.
 
Also, don't look for trouble, take action when the server is being disrupted. If someone says damn, and it didn't cause a problem, you don't need to jump down their throat in admin chat, kindly psay them and let them know that its not allowed.

Actually I believe that "Damn" an expression of regret at a particular happenstance is allowed. "Damn name" or or "Damn pronoun" or "Damn you" is a curse and as such can be administrated as disrespect and the warn/kick/ban applies.

But as you say there is no reason to jump down their throat. People will listen to polite friendly messages. Sanctimonious rage just upsets everyone on the server and makes for a much worse disruption.

I find a calm voice message of "Let's keep it friendly" works quite well.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top