Video Card Overheating?

Angeal

Forum Fanatic
Joined
Aug 27, 2008
Messages
995
OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Bit

Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 245 Processor

Memory: (RAM) 2.00 GB

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 240

We had a very bad storm and i was going to shut my computer off but the storm beat me to it and knocked out our power for about a day, and the next day i turned on the computer as normal and it seemed fine till i started playing games then blocks came on my screen.
P1010243.jpg

This started to happen when i played anything higher than CSS, Such as BC2/OSU!/Left4Dead/
So that's where you guys come in!​
​
 
Reinstall drivers.
If that doesn't work, check the case, see if it's dusty at all. If it is, then clean it.
If that doesn't work, is your warranty still active? Does it cover what happened? You may need to get a replacement.
 
Update: Reinstalled Divers, Same thing happened with robotic noise in my headset like before.
I'm guessing my video card is very shot or my PSU Isn't holding up.
Also the PSU Is 430Watts.
I don't think it's very dusty, I tend to clean it once every few months.
And the card is a XFX so i believe it's life time warranty.
 
Last edited:
What PSU do you have, what brand ? If it's not a decent one maybe you could've had a voltage peak which may lead to damaging your hardware. And those artifacts do like like a bad GPU. I suggest waranty ;)


-Jv
 
Oh it's just the standard normal one that would come with a case or something, Pretty much when my dad got the case it was already in it, So he used that.
 
Test out both parts if you got spares around. Swap out the PSU, even though I think the GPU is the cause for the artifacting, if it's really a bad PSU, you don't want to run the risk of it shorting out any other hardware you have on the PC (or swapping int the PC). If the issue is still there, put original PSU back in and swap out the GPU. It's tedious, but it'll minimize any additional damage (if possible). I'd also look at getting a new PSU anyways. Those that come with the case aren't always the best when it comes to reliability.
 
Test out both parts if you got spares around. Swap out the PSU, even though I think the GPU is the cause for the artifacting, if it's really a bad PSU, you don't want to run the risk of it shorting out any other hardware you have on the PC (or swapping int the PC). If the issue is still there, put original PSU back in and swap out the GPU. It's tedious, but it'll minimize any additional damage (if possible). I'd also look at getting a new PSU anyways. Those that come with the case aren't always the best when it comes to reliability.

That'll work too ;) Those PSU's also have bad stability and I don't suggest trying to overclock with them too. My Antec Truepower trio 650 survived water. My motherboard because that took most of the water but I'm sure a cheaper PSU would've destoyed more then just my motherboard as the PSU went in safemode and turend itself off.
 
Well i was thinking of picking one up around 30 to 50 dollars when things get better.

I do have my 500 Watt that isn't be used right now in the older computer, Maybe i can try that.

I want to thank you all for trying to help me fix this.

But like Snipeye said, I think the same thing and i forgot to tell you my card also powers off the mother board there is no video card wire.

EDIT: Also if it's my PSU, I'd like to get this since it seems like more power and pretty cheap so i could get it in a few months.

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearc...SXS-B stealth xtreme ATX 12v v2.2 / eps 12v 6

So if it's the PSU, I will have to put the 500Watt in there till i get the new one.
 
Last edited:
well if there was a storm and there was thunder your graphic card may have been fried, allthough usually its the motherboard that gets the punch, i would actually be a little suprised if my theory is correct allthough its proably not

a little piece of advice: next time there is a storm plug your computer's charger out :P

my theory might sound crazy but then again it might be right.. who knows
 
well if there was a storm and there was thunder your graphic card may have been fried, allthough usually its the motherboard that gets the punch, i would actually be a little suprised if my theory is correct allthough its proably not

a little piece of advice: next time there is a storm plug your computer's charger out :P

my theory might sound crazy but then again it might be right.. who knows

Please read the previous posts. We already believe the PSU, GPU, or both got friend from the storm. He'll be testing the parts with spares, but in the meantime, his new question...

The PSU looks fine by me, though I'm personally wary of recertified products.
 
Please read the previous posts. We already believe the PSU, GPU, or both got friend from the storm. He'll be testing the parts with spares, but in the meantime, his new question...

The PSU looks fine by me, though I'm personally wary of recertified products.

ah ok then... my mistake ;)
 

Latest posts

Back
Top