Best programming language for beginners?

Stealth

Famous
Joined
Mar 29, 2009
Messages
493
I have been trying to figure out the whole "Network" thing for the past few months, but i still cant understand it... so i decided to start scripting.
Any recommandations of programming language thats easy to use?
 
I think the first question you have to ask yourself is "what do I want to do"

Every program has its pros and cons.


Most people recommend Visual Basic as a beginner language (I don't because it encourages bad syntax habits)

So what do you want to program?

Web applications?
System/services?
Applications?
Games?
Mobile Applications?
etc?
 
As Death Keeper said, it depends on what you wanna do

I'm currently learning to use java for some of the basics and in my opinion as far as you understood how to actually write down a basic script you'll be good to go. And you will also be able to learn some higher program languages
 
I started in Python and got through college writing Java. Java is definitely a good object-oriented programming language to learn. Python syntax is very obvious but the structure doesn't promote the best technique.
 
Absolute beginners? Try Basic, it's slow, not very good and should only be used for teaching people how to program. Besides that, its synatax is quite easy to learn
 
kay, as i'm learning it on school, i suggest u try this:
http://www.microsoft.com/express/Downloads/

i'll send u some codes if u want, so u can start everything, just find me onvent, and i'll try to help u out. Download the complete and just launch visual basic. pm me if u want me to help u learning the basics on making an application, saving, your first lines of codes, etc etc. (don't expect to much of me, i'm still learning to, but i like to pass on my knowledge =D)

kind regards

~The Slayer
 
I think I am going to look into programming soon. I know HTML and CSS and now I would like to learn an actual language. My dad works with SAP so I think I am going to look into that.
 
I would start with Batch. Write some little batch "programs" to use for miscellaneous things and start from there. I suggest this because it's the basis of Windows, and it'll help you understand how Windows works if you learn it.

After that, I would move on to something more serious, like C, or C#, maybe even Python or Java. Or, if you're looking to do websites, you could learn HTML, PHP, Apache, and CSS. Would make it a LOT easier to work on your own website from scratch if you learn those.
 
I started with Flash and still working with it, it isn't to difficult to learn and understand. HTML was my next project. Soon to PHP, Visual Basic, and more.
 
Batch isn't a language, it's garbage lol.


I recommend trying Java. If you know java, php, python, c# are easy
 
To second what Death Keeper said earlier on in this thread; You should start with a specific goal in mind.

In my opinion, you should NEVER write Batch, and only "learn" what suits your goals.

Given, some of your projects down the road would require knowing multiple languages, but you'll have plenty to deal with when that point comes.

What do I want to do?

What language(s) are REQUIRED to do what I want to do?

Then study ONLY one of those languages, then begin to study the next REQUIRED language for what you want to do, and so on.

You know, you don't smear the peanut butter on the bread before you toast it! :)

Organize yourself, plan out your studies, and success will come much quicker.
 
if you want the most basic the programing language would be "basic" its an old language but it is truly basic
 
I started with C++. It's one of the most used languages with applications in everything. It may be more difficult to start with, but a lot of languages are related to it, so you want to branch into other ones it becomes much easier.
 
I am taking a C# class and I'm absolutely loving it. If it were me, I'd start with something C Based, like C++ or C#.
 
The language doesn't matter too much when you start. Learning syntax is the easy part, learning concepts is much more important (e.g. Object Oriented Programming, Modular Programming, etc.).

Python and Ruby have some decent online tutorials (python, ruby{this one's a bit goofy}). And they can both be run as a scripting language (no compiling and linking and all that fun stuff). However Python and Ruby aren't very fun to program GUIs in.

If you want to create windows in Windows, the fastest route is to use Microsoft's Visual Studio Express (it's free as in beer). It has a drag and drop GUI editor (wysiwyg) that is pretty much unmatched in usability. I would suggest C# or VB if you go this way.

I can't recommend starting with Java, unless you plan on taking Programming classes in the future (university\college\w/e). For personal reasons I abhor Java. But it does have decent documentation.
You might try looking at javascript, you can get some instant gratification by using it in web pages and whatnot. (beware: javascript and java are different languages).

If I had to do it again, I'd want to go:
Python->C->Scheme->C++

Everyone will have different preferences though.
 
Last edited:
it really depends on what kinda application you want to make.

i started with server side web applications and used php which i really liked and it has a similar syntax to c++ which is what i moved onto when i started working on opensuse project.

i find it is a decent path php will give a good understating of everything you need to know but is easier to learn than C++ or C# and it makes easy to pick up c++ or c# later.

but even if you are olny making web applications you still need to see what is better for what you want to make since both php and javascript have pretty big differences for what they are good for.
 
Batch isn't a language, it's garbage lol.


I recommend trying Java. If you know java, php, python, c# are easy

True it's not a language, but if you learn it, it's a good start. Helps you learn how windows works + gives you a basic idea of how much coding goes into simple things. Like if he wanted to make an installer for something with 1000 files, he would need ~5000 lines of batch at least to install each file in it's correct place, then probably another ~300+ for registry edits.

Installers aren't as simple as they look, you know! :P

If he wanted it to be a bit more advanced instead of just scrolling through and give it an animated progress bar, it would take ~7,500-10,000 lines of batch code.

What I mean by scrolling through is just saying the name of the current file it's working on.

You know, you don't smear the peanut butter on the bread before you toast it! :)

What if we don't like toast? ;x
 
Last edited:
True it's not a language, but if you learn it, it's a good start. Helps you learn how windows works + gives you a basic idea of how much coding goes into simple things. Like if he wanted to make an installer for something with 1000 files, he would need ~5000 lines of batch at least to install each file in it's correct place, then probably another ~300+ for registry edits.

Batch files fall under shell scripting. They can be considered a Domain Specific Language. But the rest I agree with :P
 

Latest posts

Back
Top