a few call of duty 4 fixes

.#kitten!

Rookie
Joined
Sep 18, 2010
Messages
64
I'm not requesting help, but this is to help anyone who needs it. However, I'm not 100% sure if this should be here or in the cod4 division section of the forums. If this should belong there instead, move it there.

Table of Contents
I. Crash fixes
II. No servers in list
III. Punkbuster + Steam
IV. Choppy gameplay

___I. Crash fixes
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Multiplayer crashes on startup, what do you do to fix it?



First, make sure Punkbuster and the game are 100% up to date. Current version right now: November 9, 2010 @ 6:45 AM EST, is V1.7

Click here for the latest Punkbuster setup. Place this file in the PB folder in your "...\Steam\steamapps\common\call of duty 4" directory. Overwrite existing files if asked. (feel free to back up the old if you like). Run the file.

Add the game and click Check for Updates. It should automatically update the Game if it hasn't been updated already.

Close the Punkbuster setup window, as you no longer need it open at this point.

Try running the game. If it still doesn't launch, keep reading.


Right click the Speaker icon in your taskbar and click "Recording devices."

Right click on the device labeled "Stereo Mix" and click Enable if it isn't enabled already.


Launch the game. It should work now.



___II. No servers...
The filter is set to show all possible servers under "Internet," but when I click "Refresh List" no servers show up... what do I do?



First, you'll need Xfire and another Call of Duty 4 player that is not experiencing this problem that has Xfire.

Download Xfire by clicking here.

Install Xfire and create a profile. Add the person who will be assisting you.

Have the person assisting you join a call of duty 4 server while you both are in Xfire and you have a chat window with him/her open. You should see the little button of a controller light up. Click it.

Call of Duty 4 should launch and join the server of the person you are joining. Leave the server right away if you want, or have a little fun and play in the server for a few minutes. Either way works just fine, and won't change the outcome.

Once you leave the server, try to refresh the list again while still under the "Internet" servers. The names of various servers should begin filling your screen.



___III. Punkbuster + Steam
If I open the Steam UI, even if it was on accident, I get booted out of servers protected by Punkbuster. What can I do to fix this?



You will need to disable Steam in-game to fix this.

In your Steam library, right click Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare and click on Properties. On the tab that automatically opens up there should be a checkbox that says "Enable community in-game for this game" or something along those lines. Uncheck that. Click the properties and enjoy. It's best to have Xfire and add people that you play Call of Duty 4 with a lot on there if they have Xfire as well.



___IV. Choppy gameplay.
While I'm playing call of duty 4, I noticed my game is choppy. Is there anything I do to fix that?

Very simple fix, go to your graphics options in Call of Duty 4 and make sure "Dual Video cards" is set to Yes.




I hope this helps you guys. Everything I put in this guide is from past experiences I've had and how I fixed it. These are also some of the most common problems.
 
Last edited:
Just need to add a disclaimer that the fixes you provide are just some of the ways how to address the problem.

For example, 2. No servers in list. If you're trying to play CoD4 on 1.3, you'll see hardly any servers at all when you populate because you're using an older patch. Need to download the latest patches to see current servers.

IIII is actually IV in Roman numerals. Enabling dual video card does help, but if that's not an option what then? Upgrade the PC's components, turn off miscellaneous programs running in the background, even lowering the screen resolution can all help for smoother gameplay.
 
It doesn't matter if you don't have dual video-cards. If it's enabled, you may lose a tiny bit of fps, but in turn you get smoother gameplay. It just improves the rendering of the game to make it less choppy.

I don't know why Xfire stopped working when you enabled it, slayer. I've never run into a problem with that.

Snipeye, thanks for noticing my error with the Roman Numerals. Was a bit tired when I made this, and didn't pay attention. Also, the dual video cards option will always be there, but it may make your fps go down... just a bit... maybe lose 10 fps at the most. Of course, turning down the resolution helps, but in my experience, it doesn't help much...
 

Latest posts

Back
Top