Would like critique.

Euphony

I made one post
Joined
Jul 12, 2010
Messages
16
Generally I was just hoping to find some assistance in the overview for my new build.

My greatest debate has come from the CPU. My choice is the current build in the picture, or an i7 build that brings the price up to 1400.

My true budget is 1500, but I'd rather stay under 1300.

Does everything seem consistent and durable? Will it all work together?
 
If you post in my build thread (the link is in my sig), then I could help you greatly.
 
Three things:

A) Do as phobus asks and fill out info on his build thread.

B) The jump from a Phenom II X4 965 to an i7 is huge. If you're really contemplating bumping up the processor (which I don't think you need to do in that build) there's probably something not quite as expensive as an i7 that would do just fine as well.

C) Looking at the combo deals on newegg is absolutely fantastic. I saw a combo for PSU-RAM that saved $30 combo and $40 instant. Look into it.
 
Last edited:
Three things:

A) Do as phobus asks and fill out info on his build thread.

B) The jump from a Phenom II X4 965 to an i7 is huge. If you're really contemplating bumping up the processor (which I don't think you need to do in that build) there's probably something not quite as expensive as an i7 that would do just fine as well.

C) Looking at the combo deals on newegg is absolutely fantastic. I saw a combo for PSU-RAM that saved $30 combo and $40 instant. Look into it.

wouldn't a yes or no do? shouldn't have to go to a different thread for an answer
 
The Core i7 is noticeably better outside of games, but inside of games, it performs ~5-10% better. In synthetic benchmarks and video compiling, it is at least 30% better (due to HyperThreading).

Also, do look into combos. They have saved me mucho money.
 
I'll look for combo's in respect to the parts I'm ordering or comparable ones. Thank you all. I think I'll stick with an AMD build for now, because I'm really only focusing on gaming.
 
I'll look for combo's in respect to the parts I'm ordering or comparable ones. Thank you all. I think I'll stick with an AMD build for now, because I'm really only focusing on gaming.

The i5 700 series is slightly better than the Phenom II quads. Especially when you factor in overclocking, the i5 700 series is just rape. lol.
 
wouldn't a yes or no do? shouldn't have to go to a different thread for an answer

It's not about using his thread, it's about answering the questions and giving the information he asks for in that thread. I don't think Phobus is too picky about which thread is getting builds done in it, he just wants to know all the relevant information to give them the best build possible. He's a good guy like that.;)

For instance, if there are two CPUs that are the same price and close in speed, but one OCs much better, you would have to know if the owner would want to OC or not.
 
It's not about using his thread, it's about answering the questions and giving the information he asks for in that thread. I don't think Phobus is too picky about which thread is getting builds done in it, he just wants to know all the relevant information to give them the best build possible. He's a good guy like that.;)

For instance, if there are two CPUs that are the same price and close in speed, but one OCs much better, you would have to know if the owner would want to OC or not.

Precisely. The i5 750 is a good perform by itself, and no doubt a good overclocker, but the 760 is a much better overclocker. It's like comparing an i7 920 (D0) to a 930. Still a good overclocker, but the 930 can do it much easier.
 
I've been thinking a lot, and I think I have the room to get a Radeon 5870. How would it be compared to the 460?
 
I think it's something like 15% faster. It is faster, but also more expensive. It would be good to get two 460s for SLI. It's ~23% faster than a GTX 480 (meaning a little faster than a GTX 580).
 
PSU=middling performance

CPU cooler=mediocre.


I suggest the following:

Seasonic M12II PSU
Much better than the TX750, and 520 will be more than you need. (that system realistically draws about 270w)

CPU cooler= [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-RR-B10-212P-G1-Universal-Heat-Pipe/dp/B002G1YPH0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1289781744&sr=8-1"]Cooler Master 212+[/ame] beast CPU cooler for the money, it will out preform the tuniq
 

Latest posts

Back
Top