Trying to choose between 2 programming books.

Furiosity

Famous
Joined
Jul 9, 2009
Messages
427
I'm trying to choose between [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Game-Programming-Jonathan-Harbour/dp/1435454278/ref=pd_sim_b_2"]Beginning Game Programming[/ame] and [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1598632892/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_d1_i5?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=07EWMSMTP1QAV075TTP5&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846"]Game Programming All in One[/ame], but I don't know which one to purchase. The All in One is from 2006 while the other is from 2009. I'm not sure I want to go with a 4 year old book. It also uses the Allegro library while the other has your create your own library. And for some reason the older costs more. I' m eventually gonna get the one i don't get first, but not sure which is best to get first.

And yes, I know the basics of C++.
 
Last edited:
How's your vector math? This is probably the most frustrating thing about game programming. Additionally, what do you mean by you know the basics of C++? ;p

Have you considered:
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Game-Programming-Direct-9-0c/dp/1598220160"]Introduction to 3D Game Programming with Direct X 9.0c: A Shader Approach[/ame]

If you are looking to create pc games/xbox games - knowing directx well is the way to go. If you want to develop in multiple platforms, opengl is the way to go. Sound handling is easier to deal with in directx.

Also - lol @ learn java - random garbage collection - ahh why is the game freezing ;p
 
Last edited:
How's your vector math? This is probably the most frustrating thing about game programming. Additionally, what do you mean by you know the basics of C++? ;p

Have you considered:
Introduction to 3D Game Programming with Direct X 9.0c: A Shader Approach

If you are looking to create pc games/xbox games - knowing directx well is the way to go. If you want to develop in multiple platforms, opengl is the way to go. Sound handling is easier to deal with in directx.

I don't think I have a highly working knowledge of vectors. At the moment i know how to create them, add elements to them, use some of the functions, etc.

What I mean by basics is I know about classes, functions, arrays, OOP, Inheritance, loops, types, basically everything covered in this book: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Learn-Program-C-John-Smiley/dp/0072225351/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1291321150&sr=8-1[/ame] and the first 350 pages of this: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Primer-Plus-5th-Stephen-Prata/dp/0672326973/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1291321182&sr=8-2[/ame] (I'm reading the stuff that the first book didn't teach me about in C++ Primer).

I don't want to create 3D games yet O.o Just to obtain the foundation for making simple 2D games so I feel like I can at least do SOMETHING without having to read 10 different books before I can put a sprite on a screen >_>

The 2 books I listed seem to be directed at a complete beginner(who has working knowledge of c++, which I believe I do) so I want to give them a shot.
 
If you want to just do 2d games and get up and running quickly - build flash games. The barrier to writing a game is a lot less, and it works on all platforms. Farmville is all flash and has 75 million users on it.
 
I'm trying to choose between Beginning Game Programming and Game Programming All in One, but I don't know which one to purchase. The All in One is from 2006 while the other is from 2009. I'm not sure I want to go with a 4 year old book. It also uses the Allegro library while the other has your create your own library. And for some reason the older costs more. I' m eventually gonna get the one i don't get first, but not sure which is best to get first.

And yes, I know the basics of C++.

the links to your books, they are the same link (same book)
 

Latest posts

Back
Top