Looking to build a new computer

Tormenter

Rookie
Joined
Aug 25, 2010
Messages
99
So I stumbled into some christmas money and I'm looking to go from my beast of a laptop(read as: Mehhh Desktop) to a decent gaming desktop.

My limit is low, I know. It's only $500, but that's without a mouse/monitor/keyboard. I can supply those.

Can anyone link me to all the parts I'd need to make a decent computer?
 
buildfortorment.png
 
Is that samsung a hybrid drive? Why not just go with a caviar blue or black?
 
Is that samsung a hybrid drive? Why not just go with a caviar blue or black?

Blues are slower, and cost just a little less. Blacks are (marginally) faster, but noisier and cost more. F3's are good price to performance drives. They're not hybrid drives.
 
The blues are my favorite though. I have one sitting in one of these
blacx_004.jpg

next to my computer and it's barely making any noise. It also has semi-good performance, I can't notice a significant drop in access time
 

Well dang. I didn't think anyone could do it for under $500.

Nah I have a Windows 7 Disc that I haven't used yet so I have an OS.

I'm not ordering today, probably a little later this month when I get my taxes back.
 
Well dang. I didn't think anyone could do it for under $500.

Nah I have a Windows 7 Disc that I haven't used yet so I have an OS.

I'm not ordering today, probably a little later this month when I get my taxes back.

Okay. Good. I'll make a build in a few days. Prices will change once Sandy Bridge is released.
 
That and the specific combo Reflex mentioned might not be offered anymore.
 
Sorry about bumping this, but I haven't bought a computer yet. I should be getting my taxes back on Feb 4 or the 5th.

New build maybe for $500?
 
I did you a monster build relative to the last one up. While it requires some rebates and comes out to about $530 in the end, the upgrades are worth it!

Better case, graphics card, ram, power supply, motherboard, and processor while using the same hard drive.

ogfnkn.jpg


The power supply has a $5 promo code atm ($5 off w/ promo code EMCKHKJ42, ends 2/7 ). The processor also comes with a newegg giftcard as you can see so you would probably want to order everything except like the hard drive and then order that later using the gift card. After all rebates and gift cards, the total before shipping is $531 which I have to say is an amazing deal for the system you are getting here.

And for me, shipping was only $9 so most of these should be free shipping which is nice.

Upgradability is also nice. Add in a decent cooler and you can overclock your processor as well as some additional case fans. Possibly SLI your GTX 460 later on as well.
 
Last edited:
Last edited:
ya thats a pretty boss build for nice and cheap - will last a long long time since you can upgrade it for future applications (adding another 460, OCing etc)
 
Quick update, you would probably want this mobo for sli (same price but sli compatible...while it does not have usb 3.0, it does have dual x16 pci-e slots):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130235&cm_re=msi_g55-_-13-130-235-_-Product

Also, it might be worth the $10 to get this gtx 460 instead:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...7519&cm_re=msi_gtx_460-_-14-127-519-_-Product

Better cooling solution as well as rear exhausting to help with case temps.

SLI is 8x8x on 750a.....


only 780a, and 980a (rebranded 780a) support dual/tri X16
 
Ah well, performance between 16x and 8x is not that much different anyways, but it is still worth it for the sli capability. Neweggs Details have failed me!
 
Newegg also doesn't mention the SLI hack, so you can run SLI on chipsets that don't suck....errr .....AMD chipsets .
 

Latest posts

Back
Top