Possible whining from video card

pillar

Poster Extraordinaire
Joined
Feb 14, 2008
Messages
2,968
So I have an eVGA GeForce 9800GT. Id say about 2-3 days ago, I start hearing a noise that sounds like a wire is possibly hitting the fan. 2 strange things about this tho. #1 is that none of the wires have moved since ive moved down here to San Antonio. #2 is that the sound comes & goes, so I know for a fact that no wires are touching the fan on my video card. Any ideas??
 
I have the same issue with the same model, its the cable going to the fan. It flexes away from the fan as it heats up. When you turn off the PC for a bit, it moves back towards the fan and it rubs till it warms up.
 
Well I already sent a message 2 eVGA about the issue. Hopefully I can get a copy of my receipt from Newegg so I can send the video card 2 them & get a replacement card. It def would be nice 2 get an update tho.
 
hey guys, something seems to be wrong. so i sent my current 9800gt to evga to get it looked @ (& just found out that theyre sending me either a replacement or the same card), well now it seems that my old card (7600gt) is making the same sound. only difference is that my current card requires the 6-pin power connector. do you guys think theres a possible issue on the motherboard side? i mean my old card never had this issue before.
 
Capacitors can make whining noises underload.

Could be either:

PSU
GPU
Motherboard
 
well i only know of capacitors in gpu & mobos. besides i recently got an email from evga saying that theyre sending a replacement to me & itll arrive by thursday. btw, just a lil heads up, the whining sound is always coming from around the gpu. my psu is @ the bottom. like i said, i believe its a possible motherboard issue. if it is, i have 2 external hard drives. if i were to upgrade the motherboard & save what i need to save on my external hard drives, will the info stay on there, despite it being a newer motherboard? reason i ask is cause ive never dealt w/ this kinda situation before.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top