Bad CPU Fan/Heatsink??

StormRage

Poster
Joined
Jul 18, 2009
Messages
134
Bad CPU Fan/Heatsink Noise??

OK, my CPU fan appears to making a loud, vibrating humming noise and its rather annoying to have. The weird thing is, I have taken the fan off the heatsink and have let it run for a little and it makes no noise at all. I have taken the heat sink off and cleaned it and made sure all the screws were tight and everything is fine, but whenever the CPU fan is on the heatsink, it makes that noise.

I have a Thermaltake TR2 and I'm unaware of the heatsink origins.

Any ideas what might be causing this noise? I'm trying to avoid buying a new one.

edit: BLAST! I appear to have place this thread in the wrong section...
 
Last edited:
man, gotta say this is good timing. i have an old school heatsink fan that ive never used (ive only opened up the plastic package once to get a better look @ it) so technically its still brand new. i did some research into your heatsink fan & i must say that i feel for ya on that guy. however, im willing to sell ya my heatsink fan ultra cheap. all i gotta do is go to my moms place sometime soon (i was trying to sell it @ her annual yard sale, but was unsuccessful). i got it @ frys like back in 03 or 04 i think. all i ask is that you have some patience w/ me digging it out & once i find it, ill do research to find out what a decent price for it (in used condition). overall, im really thinkin just $10+s&h.

however, i would highly recommend that you start saving up for a new computer (overall).
 
It could be running fast because your temps are hot, what are they like? Did you apply new thermal paste when you took of the heatsink and put it back?
 
Also, has this always happened or is it a change? Also, when I installed my OEM heatsink, the power wires that plugged into the mobo were so tightly wrapped around the fan the blades would hit them. I just loosened them up a little bit and now it's basically silent. Make sure they're not rubbing any wires.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top