Elaborate. Was it worth it?

MorganFreeman

Poster
Joined
Nov 29, 2009
Messages
229
Howdy Tech-Guys!

I need some opinions, and would like to hear some other stories in related, or semi-related discussion.

- - - -

To start, I have a 72 inch plasma TV downstairs, however, my parent's would not let me use it for anything other than for TV purposes. In addition, the only gaming platform that I have (had), is my tower.

Black Ops is going to be released in 3 days; and my birthday was coming up. To celebrate, my buddies decided to pitch in a couple bucks to go toward a PlayStation, so that I could play with them, and enjoy Black Ops, as well. After the party, I had collected a total of $150, and I figured if I pitch in a hundred or so, I could buy myself a PlayStation, and ask my parents to buy me Black Ops for my Birthday, a flawless plan, right?

I went to Best Buy, bought myself a PS3 ($300), and my mom bought me Black Ops ($60). I took the two home, where my dad told me I couldn't plug it into my TV. In a facepalm situation, it took many hours of googling to discover that I could buy an HTMI-DVI converter, to plug into my monitor. A couple days later, I was shipped the cable, and started hooking up my PS3, and it was a total success, video was showing up! However, I couldn't party too hard, I soon realized that I don't have sound, and my RGB cables for my headset don't plug into my PS3. Thus I went to Best Buy, asking for how to do my operation, where they told me it wasn't possible. I went out and bought a new HDMI monitor ($150), and then bought some more cables, two RGB to RGB [Y-Y] adapters, and a converter to go between the two. Now completely out of money, I realized I had spent nearly $600 to play Black Ops.

I personally believe it was totally worth it. I had done something that RadioShack told me was impossible, and have the satisfaction that I can play my Black Ops on my monitor. What do you guys think? And has anyone else had any abnormal situation like mine? Elaborate, it should be pretty interesting to see what people have created.
 
Ive spent a lot on "slowly" which while im not working has turned into rapidly, upgrading my Rig. (Case , PSU, Cpu Heatsink, GPU- Which im upgrading again, Fans, MoBo, SSD, LCD LED HD HDMI screen) Off the top of my head well over a thousand. And on top of it, going to get the material for me to build a new custom desk, which should be a couple hundred more.

So worth IT!

PS I need to get an Electrician Buddy to setup a New Circuit breaker and two 15 amp lines to my room and office as the wiring in this place is crap.
 
Can you not use RCA cables with PS3?

I don't believe so. But if you could, it's too late now.

Ive spent a lot on "slowly" which while im not working has turned into rapidly, upgrading my Rig. (Case , PSU, Cpu Heatsink, GPU- Which im upgrading again, Fans, MoBo, SSD, LCD LED HD HDMI screen) Off the top of my head well over a thousand. And on top of it, going to get the material for me to build a new custom desk, which should be a couple hundred more.

So worth IT!

PS I need to get an Electrician Buddy to setup a New Circuit breaker and two 15 amp lines to my room and office as the wiring in this place is crap.

Haha, I feel the same way! Just bought a new desk for myself, as well :thumbup:
 
btw, i have spend upwards of 2000$ on my PC to get what is probably 1000$ worth of performance.

Just keep selling stuff to buy new stuff the play with........ but the new stuff is never faster

So don't feel bad.
 
btw, i have spend upwards of 2000$ on my PC to get what is probably 1000$ worth of performance.

Just keep selling stuff to buy new stuff the play with........ but the new stuff is never faster

So don't feel bad.

Haha, it never is, is it? They just want your money :mad:
 
I don't believe so. But if you could, it's too late now.



Haha, I feel the same way! Just bought a new desk for myself, as well :thumbup:

Im building a new desk out of raw materials. Thinking that Im going to have a dual keyboard pull out. Extra wide keyboard trays and enough counter top space for my Haf X case to sit on the right hand corner and two Larger LCD monitors. As well lots of storage for Cd's and games in boxes and DVD cases, above the Screens and Case.

Then eventually replace the DLP TV beside it with a flat screen and build a new Desk under that for more storage.
 
Im building a new desk out of raw materials. Thinking that Im going to have a dual keyboard pull out. Extra wide keyboard trays and enough counter top space for my Haf X case to sit on the right hand corner and two Larger LCD monitors. As well lots of storage for Cd's and games in boxes and DVD cases, above the Screens and Case.

Then eventually replace the DLP TV beside it with a flat screen and build a new Desk under that for more storage.

Haha, sounds epic. Would like those bragging rights. :drool:
 
Idk bout your PS3, but for my xbox 360. I have it hooked up to VGA on my monitor. I bought the VGA cable that microsoft sells for like $10-15 and it comes with an adapter to 3.5mm and i could just plug that into my monitor for sound. They sell these adapters though. To get it working with my headset, i bought a 3.5mm female to 3.5mm female so i could plug my headset in.

I spent like $20 to get sound working and to play on my monitor with my headset or speakers =/

$600 seems a lot just to play black ops on PS3. But at least you have a new monitor that you can keep for a while. Theyre gonna come out with new consoles in like 2 yrs im guessing though. It was supposed to be like 2012 when they were to come out with the new ones but idk.

You should convince your parents to game on the 72 inch plasma. I think theyre scared that playing games kills the t.v. Stupid websites and random articles talk about how gaming degrades the life of the t.v.
 
Or you could have spent ?35 and get it on the PC.
YES! THIS MAN IS A GENIUS!!!!!

Although, even I think ?35 for blackops was a little much considering how the game turned out... and you spent $600 on it... all i can say is

*major facepalm*

But hey, if your enjoying it then good for you!
 
Idk bout your PS3, but for my xbox 360. I have it hooked up to VGA on my monitor. I bought the VGA cable that microsoft sells for like $10-15 and it comes with an adapter to 3.5mm and i could just plug that into my monitor for sound. They sell these adapters though. To get it working with my headset, i bought a 3.5mm female to 3.5mm female so i could plug my headset in.

I spent like $20 to get sound working and to play on my monitor with my headset or speakers =/

$600 seems a lot just to play black ops on PS3. But at least you have a new monitor that you can keep for a while. Theyre gonna come out with new consoles in like 2 yrs im guessing though. It was supposed to be like 2012 when they were to come out with the new ones but idk.

You should convince your parents to game on the 72 inch plasma. I think theyre scared that playing games kills the t.v. Stupid websites and random articles talk about how gaming degrades the life of the t.v.
Yeah.. I think that would have worked with the PS3 as well, I think the OP took an unnecessarily difficult route. They have VGA cables for ps3s.
 
Or you could have spent ?35 and get it on the PC.

Well, not only did I get blackops, I got a better monitor which I use for both PC gaming, as well as my PS3; the playstation itself, which I'd wanted anyways, and some new Turtle-Beach surround sound headphones. The adapters and splitters I could have done without, but they were all a part of my expansion. :3

And haters.. They gonna hate. :thumbup:
 
lol that was a razy way of doing it but heres what you Could have done.

Bought the ps3, bought black ops, bought the hdmi to dvi cable and bought a logitech speaker system like the z506 or x-540 and plugged the ps3 composite cables into the speakers and there ya go!!
You would've saved over $150

try to return the monitor you bought and buy speakers
 
lol that was a razy way of doing it but heres what you Could have done.

Bought the ps3, bought black ops, bought the hdmi to dvi cable and bought a logitech speaker system like the z506 or x-540 and plugged the ps3 composite cables into the speakers and there ya go!!
You would've saved over $150

try to return the monitor you bought and buy speakers

Bought the monitor on sale, lol. :P
 

Latest posts

Back
Top