New computer selection help

http://oi52.tinypic.com/iddugg.jpg

Here is a quick build I did relative to what was left over after the laptop I linked to.

The one you linked to seems nice mr. game, but that seems more like a netbook at that size then a small laptop. And the processor in that can't compete with an i5. I like the ability to customize it though for more ram and a bigger hard drive at 7200 rpm.
 
http://oi52.tinypic.com/iddugg.jpg

Here is a quick build I did relative to what was left over after the laptop I linked to.

The one you linked to seems nice mr. game, but that seems more like a netbook at that size then a small laptop. And the processor in that can't compete with an i5. I like the ability to customize it though for more ram and a bigger hard drive at 7200 rpm.
Nice build, although I'd personally add more RAM and maybe a bigger PSU wattage for future upgrades.


I wasn't sure what to call it since laptops are normally ~15" and netbooks are usually up to 10.1".

Well, as you said the difference of the processors is true, but power consumption and price-tag between an i5 and a fusion is different by far.

One thing you can't beat at that size is the graphics card (Radeon HD 6310).
I'm quite sure PhotoShop or other "graphical intense" applications will run smoothly on it.
 
Nice build, although I'd personally add more RAM and maybe a bigger PSU wattage for future upgrades.


I wasn't sure what to call it since laptops are normally ~15" and netbooks are usually up to 10.1".

Well, as you said the difference of the processors is true, but power consumption and price-tag between an i5 and a fusion is different by far.

One thing you can't beat at that size is the graphics card (Radeon HD 6310).
I'm quite sure PhotoShop or other "graphical intense" applications will run smoothly on it.

What would you add that could possibly use more than 650w?
 
What would you add that could possibly use more than 650w?

(not trying to go off-topic)
A 2nd 6870 for CrossFire, more RAM, a 2nd or 3rd HD (1 being SSD), an additional CD/DVD drive for various tasks, and possibly a fan controller. :drool:
 
(not trying to go off-topic)
A 2nd 6870 for CrossFire, more RAM, a 2nd or 3rd HD (1 being SSD), an additional CD/DVD drive for various tasks, and possibly a fan controller. :drool:

So why does it need more watts? I really don't see a problem here.
 
We are plenty on topic.

We are discussing options pertaining to the purchase of new computers as indicated by the thread title.
 
We are plenty on topic.

We are discussing options pertaining to the purchase of new computers as indicated by the thread title.

I guess you're right.

Reading closely at my reply, I did say that I would "personally" use a bigger PSU. With that being said, I'm one that enjoys upgrading instead of rebuilding, and maybe some minor overclocking once it gets old.

But, as for why...
A power supply is not something you want to underestimate when building a gaming PC. It's always key to have ~%20 overhead in case of heat from either the outside, or overclocking down the road. The PSU has an outtake fan, meaning heat that passes through will cause it to waste wattage (that's why they have 80 PLUS). Crossfire 6870 would require just about 600W, then everything else that I said would require more (even RAM uses a bit).
Although something to note, the bottom-mounted power supplies usually have less problems with heat.

I guess it all comes down to what is the PSU powering currently, what you would be doing on a daily basis, and what you plan to do in the future (ie, overclocking/upgrading).
 
600w? maybe under furmark+linX+HDtune+fans 100%.

Under average load, that would probably pull close to 550w, even less at idle.

I really don't know how people got it into their heads that SLI/CF requires 800w or whatever. :confused:
 
I used antec psu calculator including all future upgrades, and 650w was plenty. As for ram, 4gb is enough for this price of a build leaving room to upgrade to 8gb in the future.

As for the screen size, 11.6" seems small for a laptop that I would use fore more than just taking notes in class. 14" gives you portability while still not being tiny. One reason I suggested something bigger/better was for more use as well as future use. As for the graphics, 6310 is decent for the price though the 310m with the i5 will beat it still. Finally, obviously a more powerful cpu will draw....more power....it is a tradeoff. However, I did not recommend a 4 core/8 thread behemoth...this is still a 2 core/4 thread cpu with respectable speed to power usage.
 
psu calculators from a PSU manufacturer that want to sell you more stuff.....

I see nothing wrong with this. :rolleyes:
 

Latest posts

Back
Top