Graphics card overheating issue. Please read and help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KuNai

EGO Zealot
Joined
Sep 3, 2008
Messages
1,922
My graphics card is an XFX Radeon 5770. Recently (1 month or so) my graphics card has been overheating even on idle.

Fan speeds are at 100% at all times, and it idles at high 60s - low 70 degree Celsius. It has never done this before, and I recently undusted the inside of my case.

Even so, it still idles at the temperatures mentioned earlier, and goes up to 105 degrees Celsius on full load. Haven't seen any artifacts yet..

How can I fix this? Is it a fan issue? What program can I use to check for potential artifacts? Is it too late for my card? :crying:

I tried removing the fan and heatsink of the card, but I have no idea how to take it off after unscrewing the card's screws.
 
What your problem might be with that card is the side of the heatsink towards the fan might be completely clogged with dust. I had the same problem with my 4870x2.
If yours is set up the same way mine was you need to make sure all the screws are out even the ones holding the heat sink on the card and slowly and carefully pull the top of the case around the card off. You will need thermal paste because this will remove the heat sink. But you must make sure you do not have any screws left attached when you do this.
 
Another simple method that doesn't require removing the heatsink/fan...
Air Pressured Spray and a q-tip, quite straightforward and doesn't cost much (maybe cheaper than thermal paste?). Here's a good video tutorial for that method:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5f3wbRPztg"]How to Clean A Graphics Card[/ame]


If still unsure about taking the heatsink/fan off, take it to your local PC shop and they could either blow it out or do a professional cleaning (very cheap around my area, not sure about yours though).
If you have the option, test it right there in the shop to see if it worked, if not they could troubleshoot/diagnose the problem much faster than we could.
 
Reseat the cooler with better thermal paste than the standard. You could try wiping the thermal paste totally off, then applying just a small dot in the middle of the GPU that will spread as it is pressed down. The other issue may be a problem with the heatsink itself. Maybe it is warped or something keeping it from making full contact.
 
Another simple method that doesn't require removing the heatsink/fan...
Air Pressured Spray and a q-tip, quite straightforward and doesn't cost much (maybe cheaper than thermal paste?). Here's a good video tutorial for that method:
How to Clean A Graphics Card




If still unsure about taking the heatsink/fan off, take it to your local PC shop and they could either blow it out or do a professional cleaning (very cheap around my area, not sure about yours though).
If you have the option, test it right there in the shop to see if it worked, if not they could troubleshoot/diagnose the problem much faster than we could.

My family has a compressed air machine. We don't have thermal paste, but we're most likely going to try bringing it to the computer shop I've been going over to for years.

Have you overclocked it?

It's at stock settings.

Reseat the cooler with better thermal paste than the standard. You could try wiping the thermal paste totally off, then applying just a small dot in the middle of the GPU that will spread as it is pressed down. The other issue may be a problem with the heatsink itself. Maybe it is warped or something keeping it from making full contact.

If the heatsink is bad, what aftermarket cooler can I replace it with?
 
If it comes down to getting a new heatsink, the only one I can find compatible with the 5770 is the Accelero L2 Pro.

Thank you so much. I'll look into getting it..But I have a couple of questions:

What program can I use to check for potential artifacts? and

If there are artifacts, does that mean my graphics card is screwed?
 
If the heatsink is bad, what aftermarket cooler can I replace it with?

one how long ago did you buy the card? and take it apart reapply new thermal-paste(make sure the right amount is used to little or to much could make it worse)

it's going to be really hard finding a aftermarket cooler for a 5770 alot for the 5800s but wont fit. best bet would to be either upgrade to a new one if you have the funds if not then buying one on ebay that has been fried and take the cooler off of it. best style for them is the full covers. like below
http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5316156&CatId=3669
 
one how long ago did you buy the card? and take it apart reapply new thermal-paste(make sure the right amount is used to little or to much could make it worse)

it's going to be really hard finding a aftermarket cooler for a 5770 alot for the 5800s but wont fit. best bet would to be either upgrade to a new one if you have the funds if not then buying one on ebay that has been fried and take the cooler off of it. best style for them is the full covers. like below
http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5316156&CatId=3669

July 2010
 
i would contact who you bought it from i know with mine it has a warranty, so that would be the first place to start before you take it apart
 
just wondering for personall intrest, could u give me a picture of your case? also, tell me how much fans are on it?
 
i would contact who you bought it from i know with mine it has a warranty, so that would be the first place to start before you take it apart

I don't remember if I still have warranty on it..I bought it retail from TigerDirect.

just wondering for personall intrest, could u give me a picture of your case? also, tell me how much fans are on it?

I can try taking a picture later today. It's a Xion II Mid-T case (pretty old) and I didn't have overheating problems with it before. It only has three fans, two 120mm fans and one 80mm fan.
 
if you got it from tiger it should have a year through them if not through the company that makes the card
 
Fixed. Card now idles at 42 degrees celsius (much big improvement from the 75 degrees celsius)

Will post some images tomorrow. What program can I use to check for defects/artifacts?
 
no idea. Just wondering how u fixed it? New thermal paste?

Had to remove the fan and heatsink..It was disgustingly filled up with so, so much dust (the dust was enough to make it idle at 7X degrees celsius!)

Reapplied thermal paste on it, then ran ATItool to scan for artifacts. After 2 hours of testing, there were none.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top