Which Windows OS should I get?

KindaKrevan

Rookie
Joined
Jul 14, 2008
Messages
99
I am working on trying to fix my desktop PC, I think I figured out the problem (hard drive is messed up) but I need it know what the overall preference between versions of Windows I should get.

Programs/Games I play are:

Counter-Strike: Source
Homefront
Rift
World of Warcraft
Crysis
Mass Effect

Photoshop CS5
Source SDK
Unity 3D (game dev kit)
 
Windows 7, especially if you're buying a new one. No point in wasting $100 on old outdated tech that will lose support.
 
Ok, Guess my new HD is going to have to wait for a while until I can get some of my bills paid. :/
 
Some older games (maybe even some of those) will not support win 7 and you wont be able to play em.
When i got windows 7 I couldn't play about half of my old game catalog, including Farcry and Quake 4 (quake 4 works for some people though so i dunno)

HOWEVER:
any games u download off steam will work with win 7, regardless of age, thank you valve!
 
Win 7 x64 Home Premium at a minimum although Pro would be my recommendation, there's nothing extra in Ultimate that you need.
 
Home Premium will suffice. Professional is better if you're running a business from home because of the added business functionality (go figure).
 
7...why would you even ask?
or by versions are you asking 32 bit, 64 bit, home, professional, ultimate etc? otherwise id suggest home premium 64 bit

or did you mean like....which windows?

its like saying "i could have vista...which is basically a broken version of 7..i can have XP which was good but its old , outdated and now no longer as effeceint, or i can have windows 98 thats 13 years old and doesn't support any modern anything
 
7...why would you even ask?
or by versions are you asking 32 bit, 64 bit, home, professional, ultimate etc? otherwise id suggest home premium 64 bit

or did you mean like....which windows?

its like saying "i could have vista...which is basically a broken version of 7..i can have XP which was good but its old , outdated and now no longer as effeceint, or i can have windows 98 thats 13 years old and doesn't support any modern anything

aside from your joking, i actually have a legal version of win 98 (even tho they killed support back in like 03 or 04), but if anyone is interested, ill give it to that person for free. i have absolutely no use for the software.

now to help w/ this issue of the OS, we all keep saying win 7 & for good reason. vista is so messed up, hogs memory like none other, & win xp is about to become out of date for tech support in the next few years. you can get win 7 home prem from newegg (which gives a percentage back to us if you use the support eGO area) or you can get it from a local retailer (like walmart, but itll be more expensive, but you get both the 32-bit & 64-bit).

overall, get the 64-bit (which allows you to have up to 16gb of memory) version of win 7 (whichever version you choose is your choice) & save yourself some $$. just make sure to take your time in getting it as bills always take 1st priority. i highly doubt that microsoft will lower the prices of their OS anytime soon.
 
win xp is about to become out of date for tech support in the next few years. .



Not about to, microsoft no longer supports XP.

For the the OS I think none. Get Mac OSX. Or Ubuntu.

If you MUST get windows get a 64 bit copy of Windows 7 Ultimate.
 
Not about to, microsoft no longer supports XP.

For the the OS I think none. Get Mac OSX. Or Ubuntu.

If you MUST get windows get a 64 bit copy of Windows 7 Ultimate.

Why Ultimate? For the average user, you don't need more than Home Premium.
But do go 64-bit.
 
Not about to, microsoft no longer supports XP.

For the the OS I think none. Get Mac OSX. Or Ubuntu.

If you MUST get windows get a 64 bit copy of Windows 7 Ultimate.

Ubuntu I already have a partition on the new HD of, but I can't play any of the games I play on Linux, so that's why I am looking for Windows.
 
Wine isn't compatible with everything, and is sometimes a real pain to use.
 
Why pay for stuff that you won't use? As I said before, Windows 7 Home Premium will suffice for most needs, unless you need business applications and heavily increased backup/security.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/compare

And I'm assuming you will be putting a good antivirus/firewall software on the PC already, so the Ultimate version isn't really necessary. Save the difference.
 
Yeah but the difference is only $20-30

Unless of course you don't want to break the EULA, might ever want to upgrade your motherboard, or don't have access to the Microsoft employee store, then the difference in more like $100. OEM for system builders =/= retail version.
 
You should use my Win7 disk....

No:
-networking
-media apps
-security features
-anything else that wastes CPU cycles

Yes:
-.04s faster in Super Pi
-crashes if you try to open an MP3
-uses only 200MB or ram


/crazy benchmarking dude....

Back on topic: Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit. If you feel you need more business oriented features, then get Pro.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top