Alienware or custom.

No matter what you do.. custom always wins... as long as you know what you're doing that is. Alienware is highly overpriced.
 
Custom. If you dont you will most likely regret it. You can build a computer that is better then the alienware for only about 800. Instead of a stupid 1500$ laptop. :P
 
Custom. If you dont you will most likely regret it. You can build a computer that is better then the alienware for only about 800. Instead of a stupid 1500$ laptop. :P

Well the problem is you're comparing a desktop to a laptop. Of course the laptop will be more expensive for less power. I don't know if you noticed but the desktop is also at least 10x the size and weighs at least 15 pounds more.

Here is my two cents.

1. If you actually look around at multiple websites and not just newegg, like tigerdirect for example, you are going to find all the parts cheaper. I just built a new computer a month ago for around 760 bucks and if alienware did the SAME exact setup im sure they would have charged me 1500 dollars or more!

2. The only problem is I have to disagree with a lot of replies on this post. It isn't as simply as putting lego parts together. I mean it is for getting the parts on the board, but computers I much more complicated than that. I know anytime I build a new system, I can't just throw the parts on the board and boot right up. Maybe I am a noob, but I always have to spend an hour or two troubleshooting. The problem is that computers are very picky and if you have the slightest thing out of line it won't boot.

For example. AMD motherboards put the pins for the power, hdd, and reset jumpers of cases at the back of the board for some awful reason. Unlike Intel boards that put it at the front. I have always gone AMD just by personal choice, but my case is really screwed atm. The cords for those jumpers have been streched to the max. I was computerless for a weekend almost because of that short in the wires. I kept getting this "USB Over Current Status. System Shutdown in 15 seconds" error. I am actually having to order a new case tomorrow because if I do a shutdown on my computer instead of a restart there is a chance my computer won't boot up again.

I am not trying to scare you into going with alienware. I personally never buy pre-built systems, but I would hate for you to spend all that money trying to build a new system and not get it going.

My question for you would be do you have any computer savy friends? Because what I would do in your position is go with the custom built system IF I had a friend that would be willing to help build it. You could have that friend come over and tell you where to put each part and basically let you build the system. Then if you run into any issues on the boot up like I always do they can be around to get it going for you.

That's my two cents.

1. Being a smart shopper will always save you money. It's that part about being smart.

2. No experience with AMD boards here, but I haven't had any problems with my build at all. It was all plug and play. I had a couple questions, like "what the hell is a SPDIF and why is it sticking out of my HD Audio connector?". But I didn't run across any problems that a simple question on a forum (like this one) couldn't solve.
 
With the number of information online, building a computer is nothing harder than playing with legos at this point.

There are also a number of people on this forum that would be more than willing to help.

Oh, and you will save a lot of money in the long run as you will be able to upgrade the computer numerous times for the same price you would've spent on the alienware.
 
I would go with custom. Though I am going to build my first custom rig in a month or so, i have changed interior parts before and i did assemble some of my friends's computers before. I think it is worth it. Read a little, check compatibility, maybe look at tutorial, and then get building. Besides the fact that you can always customize it and change things, you get the feeling of building your own PC.
 
Wow thanks for all the responses.

anyway I see that everyone is leaning to the custom side. With that in mind, I agree that custom = less money and better components. My only main issue is I might fry everything LOL.

I'll definitely reconsider my options after most of you agree to go with custom.

thanks again.
 
remember that all of us who custom build their PC's. were in the same place you are in right now......Never built a computer before... if you don't start now then you are more prone not to try and build your own in the future..... i am sorry but IMHO......buying a pre-built desktop from a pc is a waste of money, especially if you are a gamer.

if you decide to build your own... look to YouTube for some tutorial videos.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top