Installing windows 7 over windows 7 = bad?

R1V3

Poster
Joined
Mar 19, 2011
Messages
111
Hello.

I need some help as I've installed windows 7 over windows 7.
I wanted to reboot my computer so it could run smooth, but when I turned my computer back on I found a folder
which contained all the files from before the reboot. Now since I did this my computer have been acting slow and
haven't been utilizing it's powers and my connection speed as intended. When browsing internet
I hardly wait less than 5-10 seconds before it has refreshed the new page.
If anyone of you guys know how to reboot a computer without it saving all the old files or know how to fix this please reply!

- R1V3

PS. When people link youtube videos over forums I have to acturally go to youtube to se it.
 
Last edited:
Hello.

When you installed Windows 7, you installed it from the desktop and did an "Upgrade".
This moved all your files in a folder called Windows.Old, correct?

You need to insert the Windows 7 DVD again and launch it from your DVD rom and perform a "Custom" install. Do this before you log into windows. A lot of MB manufacturers include the ESC key to access the boot menu. This will erase everything and start you over fresh.

If you need clarification or help, just let me know.
Thanks.
 
Last edited:
Ah okay awesome! Yes it did move all my files into a folder called wIndows.Old.

Thank you very much. :)
 
Any time, my friend.

Remember to come back to us with future problems or if you can't get this one completely solved and tell your friends to come to eGO for technical help. :)
 
Any time, my friend.

Remember to come back to us with future problems or if you can't get this one completely solved and tell your friends to come to eGO for technical help. :)

haha, of course :) well.. brb re-installing comp totally. And again thanks for the advice ;-)
 
Hmm.. I restarted my computer with the disc in and pressed ESC but it seemed to restart every time. It said press F8 for boot menu, but this showed some Secure mode and stuff things i could start windows with.
 
At your POST screen (the initial screen after you power on your machine), you may see a prompt showing a 'hot-key' for the Boot Device selection screen. Choose this option and select the optical drive containing your Win 7 disc to boot from. You will then need to "Press any Key" when prompted by your Win 7 disc.

Other notes: Some possible hot-keys at POST for boot selection;

Asus, Dell, Toshiba Series : F12
HP: Esc -OR- F9 -OR- Esc then F9 at the next menu.
Compaq, Gateway, some E-Machines, and some Acers: F10

If you still have trouble, give me your PC manufacture or your MoBo manufacture and one of us will be happy to assist you further.
 
Thanks Angellas.

Sorry, we had a Tornado Warning, and I had to get out of dodge for where I'm at, which is why I didn't respond in a great time.
 
Back
Top