Bricked iPhone

OODA Loop

Forum Fiend
Joined
Mar 11, 2008
Messages
678
So I had my phone jailbroken and I updated to 4.3 without un-jailbreaking. Which apparently is a big no-no. Now it is broken dood. I can't restore using itunes. I get error 1161 (i think). Apple self-help was no help. I can't even re-jailbreak. Is there a trick or something?

Thanks in advance!
 
Do you know how to put your idevice into recovery mode?
if so try restoring you device while in recovery mode
 
Do you have TinyUmbrella installed? That edits your host files to block apple's servers so itunes cannot sign the firmware (allowing you to rollback by spoofing your own signature server in tiny umbrella).

If not, You should be able to download the ipsw, boot the phone into dfu mode, and install the update manually, then root it again with redsn0w. I just updated my iPad from 4.2 rooted to 4.3.1 and then re-rooted with no issues.


I'm willing to bet you have TinyUmbrella installed and your host file has been edited to block apple's signing server. Try looking through the host file and deleting any gs.apple.com reference.
 
Yeah I have tried booting into DFU/recovery mode and restoring. same bs.

I have nothing blocked in my hosts file. Just checked.

I tired restoring with stock 4.2.1 4.3 and 4.3.1.
tried re-jailbreaking with greanpois0n for 4.2.1
tried re-jailbreaking with redsnow for 4.3.1

there is no jailbreak for 4.3
 
Well I just tried my phone and now I'm having the same issue. Error 1013. I'll figure it out after work. I'm thinking use tiny umbrella to kick it out of recovery mode. No worries -- we can fix this.
 
Ok so I kicked it "out" of recovery -- that didn't work and ended up with an error 1064. Then I tried spoofing the TSS server and that didn't work. Then I deleted my hosts file all together and tried using iTunes to restore and that worked. Just restored a backup after that and now all is good. I will run redsn0w after work. In summary I would try kicking it out of recovery mode with tinyumbrella, deleting your host file, then restarting and trying itunes again. If that doesn't work I would try using another computer altogether.
 
Last edited:
I did that to the letter. Got error 1611.

I'll probably take it to the apple store. And hope they don't ask about jailbreaking.
 
If you do take it back to the APP store, tell them while updating, you dropped your phone... lol :P
 

Latest posts

Back
Top