Big RAM users.

n00tz

I made one post
Joined
Jan 17, 2011
Messages
9
Question... For those of you with more than 8GB of RAM, what's the most you've ever seen your system use? What were you doing when you saw it peak?

My system specs are below, and as you can see I have 12GB of RAM. I've never seen it use more than 6.5GB total... and that was running Red Faction, Chrome with about a dozen tabs (one of Pandora), Skype, Raptr, Microsoft Security Essentials, Windows Home Server console, VMware Infrastructure Client, and a Putty window.

Why did I get 12GB of RAM? :P
 
I have no idea why YOU got 12gb, but I know why I got 16. The highest use I've ever seen was close to 10gb but I don't monitor it closely either. I saw that number running multiple 3ds Max Design projects as well as Revit (running renderings in the background), AutoCAD, Photoshop, and probably a couple browser windows. I'm currently pulling 3.5 running a video conversion with Freemake and a single browser window.
 
Last edited:
I have no idea why YOU got 12gb, but I know why I got 16. The highest use I've ever seen was close to 10gb but I don't monitor it closely either. I saw that number running multiple 3ds Max Design projects as well as Revit (running renderings in the background), AutoCAD, Photoshop, and probably a couple browser windows. I'm currently pulling 3.5 running a video conversion with Freemake and a single browser window.
Yea, but you need it for doing stuff like that, if you are just playing games there is no point at all.
 
Yea, but you need it for doing stuff like that, if you are just playing games there is no point at all.

Agreed. I see no reason that a gaming system should need more than a nice fast 4, maybe 8 tops as cheap as RAM is right now, but that's it.
 
It really depends. One time on GTA 4, mine peaked just over 3GB's on the game alone. That's the most I've ever seen with any game though.

Plus future proofing never hurts. Even though your hardware will become outdated in 6 months, it'll be a nice half a year.
 
Unless you're heavily video editing with HD files and large projects.

Then 4GB is more than enough.
 
Personally I think the 4gb is plenty for most (including gamers and light photo/video editors) statement is getting to be outdated. I think we're getting to the point where 6 is plenty and 4 is simply 'enough.' I occasionally find myself using over 4 (I have 8) with just steam, xfire, vent, a browser window, and a game. Would having only 4gb significantly impact my performance? No, but having more does help...and it's cheap.
 
4GB is not really enough anymore.

With all the crap i have running in the backgroud (Skype, steam, teamviewer, a bazillion tabs of chrome) I have to now start closing some of those things before playing games.

8GB would be really nice.
 
Im just curious what O/S everyone is using?
Only 64 bit O/S architecture can utilize address space above 4GB.
All 32 bit applications including games are stuck at 4GB (2GB per process)

4GB is fine for 95% of all PC users.

Id be happy to explain the kernel architecture of any windows O/S if anyone needs help or wants more information on physical address space or allocation.

also, reflex - if you need more than 4gb of ram for skype, steam, teamviewer and chrome, i think you have way more issues than ram. Im running the same 4 apps you are referencing, including 12 open tabs of chrome and the total commited ram being used is 581,504K, which is about 567MB, not even half a gig. I suggest downloading microsofts process viewer to see whats eating up your physical memory.

anyone feel free to PM me with any questions.
FYI - I hold MCSA, MCSE, MCITP and ITILv3 certifications, so yeah, i know what Im talking about.
 
Im just curious what O/S everyone is using?
Only 64 bit O/S architecture can utilize address space above 4GB.
All 32 bit applications including games are stuck at 4GB (2GB per process)

4GB is fine for 95% of all PC users.

Id be happy to explain the kernel architecture of any windows O/S if anyone needs help or wants more information on physical address space or allocation.

also, reflex - if you need more than 4gb of ram for skype, steam, teamviewer and chrome, i think you have way more issues than ram. Im running the same 4 apps you are referencing, including 12 open tabs of chrome and the total commited ram being used is 581,504K, which is about 567MB, not even half a gig. I suggest downloading microsofts process viewer to see whats eating up your physical memory.

anyone feel free to PM me with any questions.
FYI - I hold MCSA, MCSE, MCITP and ITILv3 certifications, so yeah, i know what Im talking about.

If you want a full list:

Printer software
Keyboard software (G15)
Logitech Setpoint
Realtek software
HFM.net
Bitcoin client
Bitcoin GUIminer
Avast AV
Dropbox
Teamveiwer
Whatpulse
CoreTemp
MSI Afterburner
Sapphire Trixx
on average ~30 tabs of chrome
ATi Catalyst
Windows media player
Steam

Add a game to that, and i am up in the 3.8gb range

and you can forget about turing page file off.
 
30 tabs of Chrome... wow! :O

Oh, and the speed of your RAM matters too right?

I have 4GB of DDR2 800MHz of RAM.

But I'd probably feel a difference if I was running 4GB of DDR3 1333MHz type RAM, right?
 
MSI Afterburner and Sapphire Trixx?
Get AV. Avast is poo poo. MSE >
I'm pretty sure Bitcoin has a relation to why you're taking so much ram.
 
wow, 30 tabs huh? Im not even going to ask why. :)
looks like youre big into overclocking and tweaking your system judging by the apps listed, so if you cannot remove or stop some of the programs in your list, I would start by tweaking your OS services. Black Viper is a good start. You can disable any unneeded services to free up valuable RAM until you can grab another 4GB, assuming you are running a 64Bit OS. Good luck, and enjoy the overclocking.:biggrin:


If you want a full list:

Printer software
Keyboard software (G15)
Logitech Setpoint
Realtek software
HFM.net
Bitcoin client
Bitcoin GUIminer
Avast AV
Dropbox
Teamveiwer
Whatpulse
CoreTemp
MSI Afterburner
Sapphire Trixx
on average ~30 tabs of chrome
ATi Catalyst
Windows media player
Steam

Add a game to that, and i am up in the 3.8gb range

and you can forget about turing page file off.
 
Msconfig does all of that too. First thing I do when installing an OS.

But I'd probably feel a difference if I was running 4GB of DDR3 1333MHz type RAM, right?

I went from 667Mhz DDR2 to 1600 DDR3 and noticed a good difference.

Bottom line of this thread. If you can afford more RAM, go ahead (it's dirt cheap anyways). 4GB's is plenty, but not necessarily for everyone. 6-8GB's is starting to become the norm too.
 
30 tabs of Chrome... wow! :O

Oh, and the speed of your RAM matters too right?

I have 4GB of DDR2 800MHz of RAM.

But I'd probably feel a difference if I was running 4GB of DDR3 1333MHz type RAM, right?

30 tabs, yep. OCN is like 20 of them, and the other 10 are random stuff most of the time

probably not notice much by increasing speed. Maybe a little.

I have super nice Elpida Hyper chips (good for benchmarking), which run at 2000 8-8-8-24 stock, but i can hit about 2150ish 7-9-7-22 on my i7.

MSI Afterburner and Sapphire Trixx?
Get AV. Avast is poo poo. MSE >
I'm pretty sure Bitcoin has a relation to why you're taking so much ram.

Trixx allows for voltage control, and AB has better monitoring software

wow, 30 tabs huh? Im not even going to ask why. :)
looks like youre big into overclocking and tweaking your system judging by the apps listed, so if you cannot remove or stop some of the programs in your list, I would start by tweaking your OS services. Black Viper is a good start. You can disable any unneeded services to free up valuable RAM until you can grab another 4GB, assuming you are running a 64Bit OS. Good luck, and enjoy the overclocking.:biggrin:


When benching i don't use this OS. If i am doing 2d stuff, i will use XP, stripped to hell, uses like ~150mb of ram. When doing 3D stuff like 01, or o6, i prefer XP but with less stuff cut out. and for newer stuff like vantage, W7 works nicely

I plan to get a 8 or 16GB kit for my 24.7 rig, and then move my nice ram to only benching duty.
 
Back
Top