BUying lots of parts for my computer

Pyro

Rookie
Joined
Jul 12, 2010
Messages
80
Hey guys! I am looking to upgrade my computer over the summer, and I was wondering if you guys could give me some tips.

I already have a 460gtx and your standard CD reader.

Tell me what you think:

Processor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115071&cm_re=i7-_-19-115-071-_-Product

RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428

MOBO: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138317

Power Supply: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207013

HDD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148697

Totals to about $630 minus shipping (am on a $700 dollar budget, but the lower the better). Tell me what you think, and what I could improve.
 
Last edited:
First question: Do you want to overclock? If the answer is yes, get either the i5 2500K or the i7 2600K. The regular i7 2600 does not have overclocking capabilities.

RAM is good

Motherboard is fine, although, if you want to ever add in another video card, that may present a problem. You'll have to increase your budget to get a full SLI capable motherboard, though.

Power supply is not recommended. For that price, I'd get this: XFX Core Edition PRO550W. I like XFX PSU's a lot better than Thermaltake. I believe that line is based on a Seasonic unit. Not 100% sure about that, but it is based on another design that has proven reliability.

Why do you need a new hard drive? If you're seriously going to get a good one, pour about $30 more into it and get a 1TB Samsung spinpoint.




For giggles, what are the specs on the system you have already?
 
If you follow Mad's advice about possible SLI, I would research PSU's a bit. The number of rails makes a big difference from what I understand in relation to the number of vid cards you have.
 
If you follow Mad's advice about possible SLI, I would research PSU's a bit. The number of rails makes a big difference from what I understand in relation to the number of vid cards you have.

Very true. If you want to do a multi-card setup in the future, you'll have to add about $100-150 to your budget for the increased costs of the motherboard and power supply. If you only want to keep it as a single-card solution, keep the motherboard you've already got, and just get the PSU I recommended for peace of mind. :)
 
The P8P67 LE only does CrossfireX.
 
Last edited:
the LE is a mediocre board anyways. the GD53, and a few other boards in the price range are far better.

The vanilla also only does crossfire, and no SLI.

EDIT: I had no idea the TP67XE was so cheap now a days.

Get that one for sure. Beast of a board for the price. SLI and CF support
 
Back
Top