New cpu overclocking

pillar

Poster Extraordinaire
Joined
Feb 14, 2008
Messages
2,968
Ok, so I just got my used Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 in the mail. I will mention that im gonna use my Arctic Freezer 7 Pro heatsink fan. Im currently using a Gigabyte GA-P35-S3G motherboard. Once I install it, im just gonna work on making sure itll boot on normal (no overclocking). Shouldnt have an issue. After that, will need some help when it comes to overclocking. On my current chip (C2D E6750), I was able to overclock it to 3.0 Ghz, but because i noticed the voltage on the memory going up, I decided not to risk it further. Check my sig for my complete stats of my rig. Any & all help will be greatly appreciated. Also I will post pics of overclocking my cpu so I can try to get the most outta the oc process as possible.
 
whats ur heat sink


Ok, so I just got my used Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 in the mail. I will mention that im gonna use my Arctic Freezer 7 Pro heatsink fan. Im currently using a Gigabyte GA-P35-S3G motherboard. Once I install it, im just gonna work on making sure itll boot on normal (no overclocking). Shouldnt have an issue. After that, will need some help when it comes to overclocking. On my current chip (C2D E6750), I was able to overclock it to 3.0 Ghz, but because i noticed the voltage on the memory going up, I decided not to risk it further. Check my sig for my complete stats of my rig. Any & all help will be greatly appreciated. Also I will post pics of overclocking my cpu so I can try to get the most outta the oc process as possible.

char
 
lol @ freakin hell. im glad u noticed it. ddily, you need to read a lil slower & pay attention to details more bud.

now, on a better note, im typin this message on my desktop. i was able to get my machine runnin on my used c2q q6600 cpu. now i need help w/ overclocking. any & all suggestions are welcome.
 
I can't help you, man. I have no experience with 775. Sorry mang. :/
 
I only have experience overclocking a 775 on a n-force chipset where I typically unlinked the memory from the frontside bus speed and went from there. A fsb of 333 should give you 3.0GHz (at the stock 9x multiplier). 400MHz should probably be your target high end depending on the stepping of your chip -- that will give you 3.6GHz. Some motherboards have trouble getting past 333 and have "fsb holes", but the P35 is supposed to be solid. You can also try dropping the multiplier to 400x8 for 3.2, etc. This isn't a cut and dry process, but there is a TON of info out there on these chips as they were very popular.

Monitor your temperatures and ideally don't exceed 70C (or 1.5V vcore at the high end) when running SmallFFT Prime95 for hours on end. I also run Prime95 blend, LinX, etc. for stability testing. I had to slightly bump my NorthBridge and VTT voltage to achieve 3.4 on my n-force motherboard with a q6600 g0 stepping. I would suggest jumping to 333, slowly tweaking the voltages until you get it stable, and then moving very slowly from there while keeping an eye on your temperatures.
 
hey guys thanx for the recent feedback.

@frankth3frizz, they had a few motherboards close to mine, but not quite there. also not really interested in signin up into yet another forum just for a motherboard that im hopin to replace within the next year. however, i do appreciate you finding that info for me

@Sn1PeR, just so ya know i recently added you on Steam, so please add me. I would like to talk with you more about your overclockin on that nForce motherboard. I was thinking about buyin this cpu from this guy who was thinkin bout sellin his nForce 750i motherboard, but didnt want another 1, esp when it came w/ sli capability. However, please hit me up on Steam sometime soon so we can talk more bout overclocking my cpu.
 
hey guys thanx for the recent feedback.

@frankth3frizz, they had a few motherboards close to mine, but not quite there. also not really interested in signin up into yet another forum just for a motherboard that im hopin to replace within the next year. however, i do appreciate you finding that info for me

@Sn1PeR, just so ya know i recently added you on Steam, so please add me. I would like to talk with you more about your overclockin on that nForce motherboard. I was thinking about buyin this cpu from this guy who was thinkin bout sellin his nForce 750i motherboard, but didnt want another 1, esp when it came w/ sli capability. However, please hit me up on Steam sometime soon so we can talk more bout overclocking my cpu.

yea. i would look in overclock.net too. they helped me with my OC by reading threads and i didn't need to register xD
 

Latest posts

Back
Top