These Parts Good For Gaming?

Joined
Oct 12, 2009
Messages
104
Well I got some new computer parts and I'm wondering if you guys can tell me how good they are for gaming.

1xAMD Phenom II X3 700e 2.4Ghz 65W OEM CPU
2x Corsair 4GB DDR3 PC10666 1333Mhz 4096MB
1x Diablo Dual Fan 24 Pin SATA Ready 400W Pwr Supply
1x LG24X DVDRW SATA OEM
1x Seagate 1.5TB LP Serial ATA HD 5900/32MB/SATA -- 3G

^
Missed some stuff to add
Thx for telling me!
Dunno if using same graphics card or not.
 
Last edited:
IMO the most important part of the system w.r.t. gaming is the graphics card. You'll want to spend ~150 bucks minimum on a good one either AMD or Nvidia.

For gaming, a good graphics card with a bad cpu is better than a good cpu with an integrated graphics card.

What sort of games were you going to play?

1x AMD Phenom II X3 700e 2.4Ghz 65W OEM CPU
Is there a certain reason you're going with AMD Phenom? Intel recently released the new Sandy Bridge cores (I'm an Intel man myself, but it's said that AMD has yet to release a comparable cpu).

2x 4GB DDR3s
What's the speed of the RAM, and what chipset/mobo do you have? Also, what's the specs of the computer you're updating?

1x Seagate ST31500541AS 1.5TB Hard Drive
I'm not sure the hard drive speed impacts gaming performance much (unless you're using the SSD drives, and the price/performance isn't that great IMO).

1x DA Series 400 Watt ATX Power Supply
This may be insufficient for most applications, including gaming.

Anandtech has some basic Sandy Bridge systems:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4456/sandy-bridge-buyers-guide/3
 
Well, my mum's friend ordered these parts for me since my current parts are only up to 2003. Plus he's a computer tech so I dunno anything xp

Plus my computer is so crappy that I lag on runescape...
 
Last edited:
well that tri core is GOLD. unlock it to a quad. the hdd i am not to impresed by u wont get the exsperance that you would from a 7200rpm. other wise yea your fine really. gl
 
I'm pretty sure a ~2003 graphics card can't run BC2.

I think we'd need to know more about your current system to answer that question.

If you're not sure how to get that information, there are some programs out there that can help (aside from the regular device manager), I prefer CPUZ: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html. Then just tell us what your system is like, and we can help you out.
 
L4D and COD are fairly easy to run, but BC2 is a much more demanding title requiring a good processor and graphics card.

As others have said, we need to know your graphics card that will be used with the system, though I cannot vouch for that power supply.
 
Okay I'm using a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 possibly getting a better since this is pretty old and if I'm not getting one probably have to wait or something...
 
k to re place that if u were looking for a gpu under $150 i would go for a 6870. 200-300 6950 or 6970.
 
For BC2 it's recommended that you have a DX10 capable card. For Nvidia (i'm not sure about ATI) that would mean an 8000 series. I don't play COD, but from what I'm reading, it looks like you'll need an 8000 series as well.

Unfortunately, your 5000 series may use an AGP connection. That means your motherboard may not have PCIe slots. I'm not sure if they make 8000 series nvidia cards in AGP. Can you figure out if it's an AGP or a PCIe?

If your card is AGP that would mean you'd have to upgrade your motherboard to play that game, and if you have to do that your probably better off with a new computer entirely.
 
Last edited:
For BC2 it's recommended that you have a DX10 capable card. For Nvidia (i'm not sure about ATI) that would mean an 8000 series. I don't play COD, but from what I'm reading, it looks like you'll need an 8000 series as well.

Unfortunately, your 5000 series may use an AGP connection. That means your motherboard may not have PCIe slots. I'm not sure if they make 8000 series nvidia cards in AGP. Can you figure out if it's an AGP or a PCIe?

If your card is AGP that would mean you'd have to upgrade your motherboard to play that game, and if you have to do that your probably better off with a new computer entirely.

they still make AGP cards?
 
You're not going to be able to use that FX 5500 with your new system, unless it's a PCI-e or PCI card. (I don't think PCIe was even available in 2003). Given the time frame, it will be an AGP card, so you'll need a new PCIe card anyway.

I'm a little shocked honestly. There are a couple good parts in that last, but most are not something I would buy due to perceived quality. Why would they have done that to you? That "computer tech" that bought the parts should be taken outside and beaten with a stick. The PSU isn't up to par, and that's the most important part!!! On top of that, why would they let you put a GPU that's 7-8 years old in a brand new computer? That's suicide on a stick.

Anyway, do you have a budget for a new graphics card? Even if that FX 5500 is a PCI card (god forbid), it will still be heavily insufficient and a bottleneck for your new system. From what I remember, my 6800 GT had problems running TF2 at acceptable levels, and L4D is a more demanding title. You're not going to have good luck with that FX 5500 for modern games.
 
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top