Help me build my first gaming rig.

Yep. But the threads that are created due to HyperThreading are virtual threads, and they are not nearly as efficient as physical threads.

That I did not know :D
Do you know if the threads in Bulldozer are going to be physical threads?

Edit: Did a real quick research. Suppose to be 8 cores 2 physical threads per core for their top CPU.
 
Last edited:
That I did not know :D
Do you know if the threads in Bulldozer are going to be physical threads?

Edit: Did a real quick research. Suppose to be 8 cores 2 physical threads per core for their top CPU.

Yep. lol.

From what I've read, they're made of modules that the OS treat as one entity, while still seeing all threads/cores. One module contains two cores & two threads, and share L2 cache and I think all modules share L3 cache.
 
And I think this is going to be it.

Tell me what you guys think.

5UhZKQ.jpg
 
Eww antec case, caviar blue, and a $200 460? Gross.

This case is infinitely superior to that Antec in every way shape and form among others.

Samsung F3 HDD so much better for $5.

If you have to spend only $200 on a GPU, get a 560. What I would do is get rid of the 2600k for a 2500k and use that $100 to buy a GPU worth pairing with k-edition Sandy Bridge. Something about a 6950.

Magic site.
 
Could always go with this for your hard drive. For the same price as the HDD Pet rock suggested.
Seagate Baracuda 1TB (Click)
Utilizes the SATAIII 6Gb/s
Not sure if the difference in speed would be a WHOLE lot.
But I do know pet rock loves his spinpoints >_>

G.Skill 8GB (Click) Has slightly slower timings, but is cheaper. You can work out the timings later.

EVGA Superclocked GTX 560 Ti (Click) Much faster than the 460 you picked. It's 244.99 Since you have to view it in the shopping cart.

Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit (Click) You'd rather have this. (:

i5 2500k (Click) Although I personally rather have what you picked, this would be more suitable with your budget.

ZEROtherm ZT-10D(Click) Best bang for your buck CPU heatsink. Only thing is, this thing is HUGE and really HEAVY.

As far as cases go. The on that a pet rock suggested, looks kind of ugly, but is really functional. and I can agree with him. But if you go with the heatsink I suggested. I fear that you'd possibly run into clearance problems.
 
So which case should I go with then? And the i7 can still fit in there with my budget.
 
Well Cooler Master HAF X wouldn't be a bad choice for you. Though I can see why pet rock suggested the Raven. It's basically a fan box. Sadly I don't think it comes with all of it's optional fans. So you would need to pick up a number of fans. Not that bad though (: Looks like ~120mm fans. Cooler Master 120mm I don't know about fans a whole lot. I do know Cooler Master make great fans. I personally use 5 120mm Thermaltake Silent Cat fans. Push ~62CFM at only 16dBA. I'm sure someone else who knows a little more could suggest something. I just can't stand Antec or Apevia fans. Always die one me.

The reason I suggested the 560 Ti that I did, is because you showed that you wanted Nvidia. I know people who only buy Intel or only Nvidia. But a 6950 is better. Less heat, less power consumption and if you overclock it, performs even better. If it could be in your budget I'd suggest even a 6970. But that's another ~$80
Sapphire 6950 2GB I would suggest this 6950. I can push my HIS 6950 to 950/1500 on a 1.2v.
Gigabyte 6970 2GB I would suggest this 6970 if it's in your budget.
I'm guessing your budget is near 1500 or so.
 
if u want a good 6970 i would get the XFX HD-697A-CNFC Radeon HD 6970. atm its out of stock on newegg.
and the hyper 212 is the best heatsink on the market atm. it comes with a fan. i would put a ssd in your build as well. just like the 1 i have posted several times....
 
It's true the RV03 doesn't come with fans for every possible slot on the case, but it's got the two 180mm fans on the bottom which are arguably all you'd really need. The important part is the airflow from those two fans is completely unobstructed from the intake to the components. There's no HDD cage or 5.25" drive bay, just fan to mobo.

and the hyper 212 is the best heatsink on the market atm.

That is an outright lie. It's the best cooler on the market for $20, but there's a huge list of coolers that outperform it.

Scythe Mugen 2
CM Hyper 612
Thermalright HR-02 Macho, regular HR-02, Archon, Silver Arrow
Corsair h50, h60, h70, h80, h100
Noctua NH-C14, NH-D14

Just to name a few. Honestly.
 
Last edited:
It's true the RV03 doesn't come with fans for every possible slot on the case, but it's got the two 180mm fans on the bottom which are arguably all you'd really need. The important part is the airflow from those two fans is completely unobstructed from the intake to the components. There's no HDD cage or 5.25" drive bay, just fan to mobo.



That is an outright lie. It's the best fan on the market for $20, but there's a huge list of coolers that outperform it.

Scythe Mugen 2
CM Hyper 612
Thermalright HR-02 Macho, regular Hr-02, Archon, Silver Arrow
Corsair h50, h60, h70, h80, h100
Noctua NH-C14, NH-D14

Just to name a few. Honestly.

My main beef with it, is the Raven just looks silly :D But you're right it is very efficient as I had agreed before. And if he wanted a hover-craft case then he could just add a few more :D lol.

The one I suggested a post ago is supposedly able to compete with some of those you mentioned. Not sure if that's true, but I rather have it than my Thermaltake Contac 30 imo.
 
Lulz, agreed. The Raven is not one of Silverstone's better looking cases. If I was going to buy a new ATX case today and budget wasn't an issue I'd probably get something like this. All aluminum, unobstructed airflow to motherboard, Lian-Li fashion. It's got everything I want in a case except the price tag.

Didn't even notice that ZT-10D you posted earlier. I never really hear much about Zerotherm so it's not surprising. Just based on the [H]'s review though it's another very solid cooler. It's too bad it doesn't come with fans or that would be a glorious bargain as good as the new CM 612 and HR-02 Macho.
 
Ok I switched out for the radeon 6970 and also switched out my cases for the cooler master. So this is what I'm at now.


Any other suggestions?
 

Latest posts

Back
Top