toss up between 2 coolers.

Silent_Predator

EGO Addict
Joined
May 9, 2010
Messages
1,281
I have been in the design stage for my i7 build coming in November. I have looked at many, Many air cpu coolers, and Im down to 2: Ive found good references for both on several OC forums. Just looking for some input from my fellow eGOs

Please limit discussion to just these 2 cpu coolers

(Either unit will have high cfm/high rpm fans installed in place of the supplied fans.)

1) Noctua NH-D14 -- 220w cooling potential - reference cfm with supplied fans 65 cfm -- 1x 120mm fan, 1x 140mm fan -- 6 year warranty -- Has been referenced as THE best cooler on the market for OC'ing the new i7's on air.

http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=34&lng=en
Gallery :http://www.noctua.at/inc/imageviewer.php?item=34&pnr=0

cpu-noc-16.jpg

cpu-noc-16_3.jpg


**************************************************************************************************************


2) Thermaltake Frio Dual 120mm Universal CPU Cooler -- 101 cfm stock fans -- 220w cooling potential -- 2x 120mm fans --3 year warranty -- **"Received The Overclockers Tech Gold Award"**

http://thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?S=1319&ID=1956
Gallery: http://thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?S=1319&ID=1956#Tab2

T925-3046-Main01-jl.jpg

B_Bottom%20View.jpg.jpg
 
Last edited:
I hear a LOT of good word about the D14 especially when overclocking the i5/17. I've never heard of the Silver Arrow but anything that Reflex recommends is undoubtedly top-notch.
 
I just popped a D14 on my 2600k a couple weeks ago. Made a world of difference over my old Zalman 9700, both in cooling potential and noise.

As Reflex said, a Thermalright Silver Arrow would also be comparable, but that Frio is simply out of it's class here. Also, I would probably hold off from replacing the stock fans on the D14 if you go for it. They have some of the best balance of airflow and noise of any fan. At least try it stock before buying any replacement fans - I think you'll find you get very good heat dispersion.

Just make sure your case is big enough to support a D14. I have a full tower case, and I just barely had clearance. Another option would be to go with a self contained H2O setup if the size is an issue, but I'd rather go with a custom loop at that point. The D14 and Silver Arrow are among the best air coolers on the market, though, and can easily compete with (more expensive) low-end water setups.
 
Last edited:
I have the D14 as well. Worth the buy if you have the money and space! Running my 2500k just like Mastermind @ 4.7. Great cooler
 
Definitely the D14. It's been the standard for tower coolers for a while. The Silver Arrow, as others have said, is a great option as well. Noctua and Thermalright always seem to have the edge on the highest end tower coolers compared to the competition.
 
Noctua gets my vote. I am really happy with the NHU12 I used on my q6600. With that said I do worry about all that weight on the motherboard (especially if you transport your machine often).
 
Between those two, (and only those two) the D14 hands down. Though I'm with reflex, the Silver Arrow is basically identical cooling wise to the D14, a bit quieter (though at such a point it's nitpicking), and gives you price options if you can find one cheaper than the other.
 
thanks for the input guys.. I was leaning more to the Noctua cooler anyway.... but this input has made the choice solid.
 
Any of those will do you well. I know people with the noctua and they like it. I have the corsair A70 and it rocks. My idle temps on my 2500k at 4.7Ghz is 25-27 and I have never gotten over 45 on full load. So I like the A70, also it is more understated than the Noctua which I like.
 
Definitely Noctua. With some rigging if you have some extra room you can put 3 fans on it too.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top