RAID 0 Questions

Krumlov

Poster
Joined
Apr 10, 2009
Messages
109
Hey Techie team. I have some questions about my system and how to RAID 0 my system. I have been waiting to enter my Win7 key just so that I can RAID my HDD and my SSD.

Let me see if I get this right:

STEP 1: Go into BIOS settings and change configuration for both hard drives to RAID.

STEP 2: Start-up PC for the first time with both HDD's blank, and Win7 disk in Blu-Ray drive.

STEP 3: Install Win7 on SSD, and drivers for system hardware.

STEP 4: ??????

How do I keep the computer from adding things to the SSD hard drive, while leaving SSD locked off? I think I can setup the system correctly, but its murky water and I have never done this before haha.

Can anyone leave me some tips and pointers?

Is it possible to just install drivers and Win7 on SSD without doing STEP 1?
 
care to explain why you are attempting to use your HDD and SSD in raid0?


(hint hint: it wont work)

When you install programs just have them install to E instead of C (or whatever you drive letters are)
 
While doing raid 0 with both may not work. It is very possible to use the Hard drive like you would a regular hard drive and have the SSD act as a Cache for the hard drive. This is not always the most cost effect method, but it may or may not be what you are trying to do. A good example of this is the Seagate Momentus XT drive commonly used in laptops.
 
What I want to do is have my OS on my SSD, and everything else on my HDD.

I thoughts RAID 0 was the only way to go?... How should I do it? People do it all the time don't they?
 
RAID 0 will basically make both drives appear to the OS as one. RAID 0 is not what you want to do. Plug the SSD in SATA channel 0 and your HDD in channel 1.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top