If you know processors please help.

Silencer67

Active Member
Joined
Jan 17, 2011
Messages
384
Hello, i'm looking to replace the Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5200 CPU in my Dell Studio 2009 model and I was wondering what CPU I could replace it with. I looked up the socket type which is LGA775 and found out that none of the i3, i5, or i7 processors support that type of socket which is why I come to you. What processor can I buy that is the LGA775 socket type and runs as well as an i5. Also, if you could, please be no more then $200. Thank you for your time. I appreciate it.
 
just follow the link in my post.. I believe there are 12 or 14 socket 775 processors.. and alot under $100
 
For the newegg equivalent:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N=100007671 600005851&IsNodeId=1&name=LGA 775

In short, the only processors that would fit your needs and the socket 775 are Core2Duo processors, the predecessor to the Intel iCore series.

Based off of newegg, the only choice for you is the Intel Core2Duo E8400 Wolfdale @ 3.0 GHz. Unless this is a temporary CPU you'll be using until you get a new computer, then you could go with a Pentium E6800 for $100, but it won't be anywhere as good as the E8400. FYI, the LGA 775 platform is an obsolete platform the past 2-3 years when Intel released the i3, i5, and i7 series back in 2008 (i7), 2009 (i5), and 2010 (i3). If you want to get one of those processors, you will need to get a new motherboard, and when you do that, typically you'll want to buy new RAM as well since you're using DDR2 and the best performance would be DDR3. This is one of the reasons why I haven't upgraded my CPU for so long because my next upgrade would involve the CPU, Motherboard, RAM, and GPU, which would be around $700 for the parts I want, minimum.
 
Core 2 Duo's and Core 2 Quads. E8300 is the best dual core and Q6600 is one of the cheaper good ones also.
 
For the newegg equivalent:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N=100007671 600005851&IsNodeId=1&name=LGA 775

In short, the only processors that would fit your needs and the socket 775 are Core2Duo processors, the predecessor to the Intel iCore series.

Based off of newegg, the only choice for you is the Intel Core2Duo E8400 Wolfdale @ 3.0 GHz. Unless this is a temporary CPU you'll be using until you get a new computer, then you could go with a Pentium E6800 for $100, but it won't be anywhere as good as the E8400. FYI, the LGA 775 platform is an obsolete platform the past 2-3 years when Intel released the i3, i5, and i7 series back in 2008 (i7), 2009 (i5), and 2010 (i3). If you want to get one of those processors, you will need to get a new motherboard, and when you do that, typically you'll want to buy new RAM as well since you're using DDR2 and the best performance would be DDR3. This is one of the reasons why I haven't upgraded my CPU for so long because my next upgrade would involve the CPU, Motherboard, RAM, and GPU, which would be around $700 for the parts I want, minimum.

How good of a processor is the E8400? Would it be able to run games like BattleField 3?
 
e8400 is a great dual core processor, i think it will be able to run bf3, but not as great as quad core processors
 
With the latest games being released (BF3), it'll depend on the GPU being used as well. However, if you got like a 560 Ti GPU + E8400, the CPU is going to be limiting it. Expect medium graphics or lower for that game with this CPU. Like I said, you're using technology that became obsolete 2-3 years ago. If you want to be sure you can run BF3 at the highest graphics, you need to go to LGA 1366 for the first generation of iCore CPUs, or LGA 1155 for the Sandy-Bridge CPUs.
 
With the latest games being released (BF3), it'll depend on the GPU being used as well. However, if you got like a 560 Ti GPU + E8400, the CPU is going to be limiting it. Expect medium graphics or lower for that game with this CPU. Like I said, you're using technology that became obsolete 2-3 years ago. If you want to be sure you can run BF3 at the highest graphics, you need to go to LGA 1366 for the first generation of iCore CPUs, or LGA 1155 for the Sandy-Bridge CPUs.


So how much do you think it would be to replace everyhing to get like an i5? I would need to replace my motherboard and ram right? What about graphics card, power supply, ect. Would that all still be good?
 
It depends on what parts you can reuse, and parts you want to reuse, and what parts you must change. At the very least, going to an i5 CPU will require the CPU, new motherboard, and possibly the RAM. But that's a different discussion altogether.
 
It depends on what parts you can reuse, and parts you want to reuse, and what parts you must change. At the very least, going to an i5 CPU will require the CPU, new motherboard, and possibly the RAM. But that's a different discussion altogether.

Well at this point the new processor will require a new motherboard and ram as you said. Also, upgrading my graphics card would be nice but would lead to me needing to also change the power supply. At that point is it even worth updrading or should I just build a new pc?
 

Latest posts

Back
Top