Steam freezes at the Login Screen

MacArther

Keeper of Treeception
=(e)=
Joined
Sep 22, 2010
Messages
1,712
I've already uninstalled and reinstalled twice, with a restart of the computer coinciding with each. Despite this, I'm on my third attempt to get beyond the Login screen (after I've entered my password and name). Nothing has worked so far.

I've removed the Steam folder from the C drive, removed it as a program, restarted my computer, and it STILL won't work.

Any ideas short of getting a new account? I'd really prefer not to do that.
 
Admin won't affect it, as I'm the only user on this laptop. Anti-virus says its fine with Steam, and has always been fine with it. I can't do anything about the router if that is the issue because I'm at college and can't go to the main building and ask them to reset the internet connection for the school....although that would be kinda funny. I have NOD32 antivirus, as well as Super-Anti-Spyware.

It seems like Steam might be trying to update itself extremely slowly as I first log on. I've read in other places that Steam did this during various updates, and unfortunately my Steam is back to almost original version!
 
Ok. Steam works now, but it takes an absurd amount of time (read more that 10 minutes) for a game to launch once I've clicked on it. Specifically, COD4 is clicked for multiplayer, I get the "preparing to launch Call of Duty 4" pop up, and then it just sits there...sometimes it connects, mostly it doesn't. I've de-fragged my hard drive, and verified the integrity /de-fragged the COD4 files through Steam.....this is getting annoying!

Also worth noting is that this has never happened to me before this run of installs and uninstalls.
 
Did you just get to college and this happened? Or is this the first time in College you've ran into this issue?
 
This is the first time in my college career that this has happened. I've been at 2 different colleges and nothing like this has happened before.
 
Well, I partially fixed the issue.....now Steam just won't run at all. I guess I should back up and explain the reason I've been MIA for a few days is that I couldn't get my computer to load beyond the login screen. Well, after running in safe mode, I found that steam was trying to launch at start up, and my laptop did not have the resources to accomplish this. I turned Steam's startup off, and now I'm back to having steam freeze at its launching.....I SWEAR TO VELOCIRAPTURE IF VALVE IS BEHIND THIS ISSUE AS A RESULT OF UPDATES I'LL DO SOMETHING VERY RASH!!
 

Latest posts

Back
Top