BF3 battle plan

reflex99

EGO Is My Life!
Joined
Dec 18, 2008
Messages
4,044
It has become appearent that my current rig is not going to cut it for BF3 beta that i will be playing come Saturday, so i am going to try to change that.

Current rig:
Intel C2D E6750 (got for free)
Gigabyte EP45-UD3P (bought to bench C2Q/D, somehow got into my main rig)
4GB mismatched DDRII
Some HDDs
XFX Radeon 6950 2GB
1000w psu (don't actually need 1kw, but when shooting for 7GHz lack of power is the last thing i want)

My current monitor setup is 3 22" panels running a total of 5304x1050 pixels in SLS mode.

So what I plan to do is:
i5 2500K maybe 2600K if i feel like it
Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H or similar
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws (1600 CL9) - already own, got on sale for dirt cheap.
same HDDs
XFX Radeon 6950 2GB, might be getting a second one.
same PSU

Alternatively (and more likely) I will be getting an AM3+ board and some placeholder CPU, and then hold out for an FX-8150P.

So yea, that's what I'll be doing in the next few days. The plan is to keep this within a $700ish budget. We'll see how this goes.
 
It has become appearent that my current rig is not going to cut it for BF3 beta that i will be playing come Saturday, so i am going to try to change that.

Current rig:
Intel C2D E6750 (got for free)
Gigabyte EP45-UD3P (bought to bench C2Q/D, somehow got into my main rig)
4GB mismatched DDRII
Some HDDs
XFX Radeon 6950 2GB
1000w psu (don't actually need 1kw, but when shooting for 7GHz lack of power is the last thing i want)

My current monitor setup is 3 22" panels running a total of 5304x1050 pixels in SLS mode.

So what I plan to do is:
i5 2500K maybe 2600K if i feel like it
Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H or similar
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws (1600 CL9) - already own, got on sale for dirt cheap.
same HDDs
XFX Radeon 6950 2GB, might be getting a second one.
same PSU

Alternatively (and more likely) I will be getting an AM3+ board and some placeholder CPU, and then hold out for an FX-8150P.

So yea, that's what I'll be doing in the next few days. The plan is to keep this within a $700ish budget. We'll see how this goes.

This guy has a similar system to you, and he plays Max Settings at around 40fps.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-Agej_m5xw[/ame]
 
yea, im pretty sure having 2.5x the pixels will probably play a role.
 
It has become appearent that my current rig is not going to cut it for BF3 beta that i will be playing come Saturday, so i am going to try to change that.

Current rig:
Intel C2D E6750 (got for free)
Gigabyte EP45-UD3P (bought to bench C2Q/D, somehow got into my main rig)
4GB mismatched DDRII
Some HDDs
XFX Radeon 6950 2GB
1000w psu (don't actually need 1kw, but when shooting for 7GHz lack of power is the last thing i want)

My current monitor setup is 3 22" panels running a total of 5304x1050 pixels in SLS mode.

So what I plan to do is:
i5 2500K maybe 2600K if i feel like it
Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H or similar
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws (1600 CL9) - already own, got on sale for dirt cheap.
same HDDs
XFX Radeon 6950 2GB, might be getting a second one.
same PSU

Alternatively (and more likely) I will be getting an AM3+ board and some placeholder CPU, and then hold out for an FX-8150P.

So yea, that's what I'll be doing in the next few days. The plan is to keep this within a $700ish budget. We'll see how this goes.

If you're getting the build for gaming primarily, and don't do much heavy video editing or anything, you'd be best off with the 2500k. It tends to perform better in almost any gaming situation over the 2600k; I think it might have something to due with the lack of hyperthreading, not sure. Regardless, your new rig is bound to be a beast!
 
i would wait till Oct to see bulldozer's performance before making a choice. I have a good feeling about it won't get into it but worse case if it is faster then intel then intel will go cheaper anyway...no rush seeing how BF3 isn't gonna be released till later Oct.
 
How bad arse is it playing with the stretch 3 monitor set up?

(any game that is, since you haven't played the beta yet)
 
How bad arse is it playing with the stretch 3 monitor set up?

(any game that is, since you haven't played the beta yet)

My friend actually has 3 monitors set up for his gaming computer and i have played shooters on his computer and i dunno i am not a fan of playing with three monitors. It almost feels like it is too much to look at. He also has 28 inch monitors though but still. I much prefer one for gaming and then another for doing whatever.
 
How bad arse is it playing with the stretch 3 monitor set up?

(any game that is, since you haven't played the beta yet)

I did the Tri-Force for a while. 3x 23" Acer 1920 x 1080 monitors. I loved it for racing games, RPG's were ok, but FPS's were....I dunno, I just didn't like it. Maybe if you used larger monitors and sat back further from your setup it would work, but it just felt too...wide for me.


Back OT: Shame BF3 is coming out before the new 7000 series AMD cards. I've heard that instead of putting two chips on a single board (like the 6990) the 7000 series will be able to put out the same muscle on a single board with only one chip. Still haven't heard anything about power consumption or heat output yet though; looking forward to the price drops that the new series will hopefully force on the older AMD lines.
 
You're going to have to turn down some settings for triple monitors, but it should still play really good. The CPU, GPU, and RAM will all play a massive role in this game: It's a system killer.
 
You know you're going to go with the AM3+ board. For one, you're going to want to be benching Bulldozer, and two you hate OCing the SB. Seeing as how it looks like you spend more of your money on benchmarking and OCing, you'll be heading to AMD.
 
How bad arse is it playing with the stretch 3 monitor set up?

(any game that is, since you haven't played the beta yet)

In BC2 it is amazing. It adds a whole 'nother level of depth to the game.

CoD BO also works really nicely on three screens.

Dirt3 is also amazing.

The extra screen real-estate is just amazing. It adds so much to the game. It isn't for everyone though, some people prefer one large monitor.



You know you're going to go with the AM3+ board. For one, you're going to want to be benching Bulldozer, and two you hate OCing the SB. Seeing as how it looks like you spend more of your money on benchmarking and OCing, you'll be heading to AMD.


I think the new plan will be to just buy some GPUs for now.

Then use the TA890FXE I have lying around, with a 555BE i have sitting there as well.
 
Last edited:
Makes sense, especially if you want to buy the 990FX board with the 8150 on release. ASRock and Biostar just released some new 990FX boards. TA990FXE.
 
990FXE is the same board, but with the AM3b socket and USB3. Probably not buying it unless it significantly outclocks the competition.

If my 890FXE will accept an 8150, i will probably just use that to save some $$$
 
So I have found a 6990 for $600, probably gonna go with that, Crossfire it with my 6950. If that turns out to be rediculous overkill, i will sell the 6950 and use it to finance BD upgrade :)

Then use the 555 BE until i can afford something better.

Can you say massive bottleneck?
 
Massive bottleneck.

Also, even if the 8150 can drop in to your 890FXE board, that extra pin is for power features right? I can see that influencing your OC.
 
That sounds beast. The 6990 will not sound as nice. I thought you were getting one of these awhile back? Or maybe that was a 590. But I thought that you ended up switching. Anyways, you ever consider going water?
 
Massive bottleneck.

Also, even if the 8150 can drop in to your 890FXE board, that extra pin is for power features right? I can see that influencing your OC.

Since BD isn't really out yet, we don't exactly know.

Supposedly it has to do with power gating, which is mostly conservation of power. Also 990 boards tend to OC better.

If i get into benching BD, i will most certainly be buying something 990 flavored, but this thread is about my 24/7 rig

That sounds beast. The 6990 will not sound as nice. I thought you were getting one of these awhile back? Or maybe that was a 590. But I thought that you ended up switching. Anyways, you ever consider going water?

I was going to, but a bunch of @$#% happened, and it never materialized.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top