Which Model of the 6770?

dynasty`

Rookie
Joined
May 25, 2011
Messages
37
Ok guys I'm not quite sure which brand to go with concerning the ATI 6770. Now im pretty dead set on this card, right in my price range, and the next level card is to expensive (dont need a crazy, High level card) so I need to narrow it down as far as brands go. SO please any input for that helps. If anyone has experience with this card go let me know what you think.

The brands im currently looking at getting are as follow:

The link has a list of all the manufacturers of the 6770

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...MATCH&N=100006662&isNodeId=1&Description=6770

Now im leaning toward the Sapphire Flex Version, the HIS, possibly the MSI, or maybe the GIGABYTE version.

I noticed the MSI twin FrozerII version has two fans, Im a big fan of keeping my components cool for longevity purposes and such, so would having two fans warrant buying that version? Input is welcome!

Mostly ill be buying this to replace my 4850 which, has been a great card for my needs, but it runs BF3-beta at about 30fps @ 1920x1080 with the settings at LOW and I'm looking for more. CSS and TF2 will all benefit and those are basically the only games I play at the moment.

Any and all input from you guys is welcome!

Thanks in advance,
dynasty
 
Stay away from HIS. Just because their customer service is horrible.

I would lean more towards MSI and ASUS.
 
Sapphire is by far the most reliable manufacturer of ATI/AMD cards. I've been through several of them myself, and never had issues, plus I'm pretty sure they've got the best warranties as far as ATI/AMD cards go as well. However, if you're upgrading from a 4850, the 6770 isn't substantial enough to warrant spending that amount of money in my opinion; it's only real feature that your 4850 doesn't have is DX11 capability. I'd recommend either a 6850 or 6870, as they're light years faster than your 4850 and the 6770, and will have plenty of life in them for the foreseeable future. You can find them for about $160-$180USD.

EDIT: http://www.hwcompare.com/5725/radeon-hd-4850-1gb-vs-radeon-hd-6770-1gb/ As you can see, the 6770 really isn't all that much more powerful than your 4850; and that would be due to it's limiting 128 bit memory bus. Your 4850 has a 256 bit memory bus, but it's very clearly aged. This difference in bandwidth can make or break a card. Just something to keep in mind.
 
Last edited:
Ok thanks for the input, i also have a question about the interface...

The 4850 i have now is PCI-e 2.0, most of the newer cards inlcuding the 6770 are all 2.1 ... So can i even run a 2.1 card on my motherboard if it has a 2.0 slot??

this could be a real difference in chosing what I am able to get.

thanks
 
"PCI Express 2.1 supports a large proportion of the management, support, and troubleshooting systems planned for full implementation in PCI Express 3.0. However, the speed is the same as PCI Express 2.0."

It'll work, and at the exact same speed.
 
"PCI Express 2.1 supports a large proportion of the management, support, and troubleshooting systems planned for full implementation in PCI Express 3.0. However, the speed is the same as PCI Express 2.0."

It'll work, and at the exact same speed.

Ok good because I was not completely sure wether or not the two interfaces were compatible, but thanks for answering me on that!
 
Also I have a question about a new power supply.

SO ive decided to go toward the 6850, the ATI website, as well as the sapphire site says i need a minumum of 500 watts to run it. (i do not plan on running crossfire)

I refered to Phobus's pc build guide and did the math for finding out the wattage that i would need for this new card and it doesnt quite make sense to me as far as what i actually need to run it.

So my i7 CPU needs 130 Watts of power, the card according to the link hw compare ( http://www.hwcompare.com/5938/radeon-hd-4850-1gb-vs-radeon-hd-6850/ ) says it needs about 130 watts as well. so i did the math, first adding the 10% then the extra 25% for headroom. and came up about 357 watts. This doesnt make sense that i could get away with using a power supply that only has about 400 or 450 watts and be fine, If this method of Phobus's is actually correct.

Can anyone give me some insight on it or at least a recomendation on a PSU to get ? the one i have now is 400 watts btw.

thanks again
dynasty
 
Last edited:
Also I have a question about a new power supply.

SO ive decided to go toward the 6850, the ATI website, as well as the sapphire site says i need a minumum of 500 watts to run it. (i do not plan on running crossfire)

I refered to Phobus's pc build guide and did the math for finding out the wattage that i would need for this new card and it doesnt quite make sense to me as far as what i actually need to run it.

So my i7 CPU needs 130 Watts of power, the card according to the link hw compare ( http://www.hwcompare.com/5938/radeon-hd-4850-1gb-vs-radeon-hd-6850/ ) says it needs about 130 watts as well. so i did the math, first adding the 10% then the extra 25% for headroom. and came up about 357 watts. This doesnt make sense that i could get away with using a power supply that only has about 400 or 450 watts and be fine, If this method of Phobus's is actually correct.

Can anyone give me some insight on it or at least a recomendation on a PSU to get ? the one i have now is 400 watts btw.

thanks again
dynasty

Any 500+ watt PSU should do the trick for your rig. In terms of branding, I've had good experience with Antec and Cooler Master.
 
Pho's method is accurate. Most people entirely over estimate how much power their rig draws. This problem is perpetuated by calculators from manufacturers that have to overrate to cover their backside if you have a crappy power supply, and sellers who overrate so that you buy a more expensive unit. The fact is an i7-2600k+6850 even with OC won't ever need more than 450W and will be fine on a 400.

Of course, this assumes you have a quality PSU that isn't over-rated to begin with. What unit do you have right now?
 
Pho's method is accurate. Most people entirely over estimate how much power their rig draws. This problem is perpetuated by calculators from manufacturers that have to overrate to cover their backside if you have a crappy power supply, and sellers who overrate so that you buy a more expensive unit. The fact is an i7-2600k+6850 even with OC won't ever need more than 450W and will be fine on a 400.

Of course, this assumes you have a quality PSU that isn't over-rated to begin with. What unit do you have right now?

Exactly. And all the components are measured at peak watts. So the i7 could get to 130 watts, but it's very unlikely.

For example:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cvv-pisUhkg[/ame]

That's a beastly system, and not using very much power.
 
I currently have an FSP 400 watt psu, Came with the case so I did not feel the need to replace it, it has run my i7 920 (bloomfield series) and 4850 gpu very well.

Basically the bottom line is do i really need to by another psu? According to my math done in MY previous post, i DO NOT need to upgrade PSU. The ATI website says i need at least a 500 watt supply.

Im just trying to figure out if I really need another PSU and if so, the amount of power i actually need. If i can save money on these two upgrades it would be great. but i understand PSU's arent something to skim by on.

Thanks for the help guys!
dynasty
 
I currently have an FSP 400 watt psu, Came with the case so I did not feel the need to replace it, it has run my i7 920 (bloomfield series) and 4850 gpu very well.

Basically the bottom line is do i really need to by another psu? According to my math done in MY previous post, i DO NOT need to upgrade PSU. The ATI website says i need at least a 500 watt supply.

Im just trying to figure out if I really need another PSU and if so, the amount of power i actually need. If i can save money on these two upgrades it would be great. but i understand PSU's arent something to skim by on.

Thanks for the help guys!
dynasty

If it came with your case, I'd say upgrade it just on principal. The only brand of cases that come with half-decent PSU's I know of are Antec and Cooler Master, and that's because they're in the business of making PSU's. For the rig you're trying to build, 400W simply won't cut it.
 
If it came with your case, I'd say upgrade it just on principal. The only brand of cases that come with half-decent PSU's I know of are Antec and Cooler Master, and that's because they're in the business of making PSU's. For the rig you're trying to build, 400W simply won't cut it.

Ok, thanks. Ive always wondered if the psu was adaquate or not and stuff because on top of what components i have now, i have 4 fans, 2 on the power supply firectly, and two running on the MoBo power.

Thanks Henderson and everyone else, I appreciatte the insight and help!

Dynasty
 
depending on the model, it should be fine. most of the things FSP puts out are decent enough. Efficiency might suck, but whatever.
 
I should think the 4850 actually draws more power than the 6850. Which means if it's running fine now, it'll keep running fine. At least until it decides to kick the bucket.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top