Computer Build

chili dude96

EGO Zealot
Joined
Jan 6, 2010
Messages
1,452
Ok so since I had great experience with my last build here I'm gonna do it again, this time I might be building my brother a new computer.

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
$49.99
CORSAIR Professional Series HX750 (CMPSU-750HX) 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
-$20.00 Instant
$10.00 Mail-in Rebate Card
$169.99
$149.99

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-8GBXH
$64.99

Logitech C210 1.3 M Effective Pixels WebCam
$29.99

MSI P67A-GD55 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
-$10.00 Instant
$164.99
$154.99

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K
$219.99

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit
$99.99

Thermaltake Element G VL10001W2Z Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Sony Optiarc 24X DVD Burner, Bulk Package Black SATA Model AD-7280S-0B
-$10.00 Combo
$163.98
$153.98

Subtotal: $923.91

This is everything I did for my last build for me, which I am very happy with. I am only hitting two snags. For one, the graphics card (XFX HD-687A-ZNFC Radeon HD 6870) is no longer in stock at newegg, so I need some help finding a equivalent one. Also, I hate my wireless card, so any suggestions on a wireless n card to work with my dlink dir 655 router?
 


Yes that would be the best thing, I just recieved my sapphire 6870, and I can tell you after only 2 days of owning it, I Love this card!

Being a first time sapphire customer, if this card stays good like it is now, ill be sure to buy from them again.

I really like the sapphire card and design and was recomended to sapphire by a few people actually in the tech forums here at eGO. I'm glad I got that card.
 
Ooooh one more question. I already have a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit-OEM from my last build, do I need to buy a new one for his or no?
 
Sapphire has the same $20 rebate. Also the sapphire version comes with Dirt3 for free. so to me thats a better deal lol.

But I also understand where you are coming from on manufacturers. If you have good experiences, then I cannot blame you for wanting to stick with that brand.

As far as knowing if its the same card you had before, I have no way of being able to help you unless i knew what you had as your previous card to that i could find a match to it. Either way you might not want that same card because there have probably been new versions of it released and the card may now come with new, changed or completely different feature. (though its probably not that drastic)

EDIT: to answer your second question, I dont believe you have to but dont quote me on that. I want to say that if yuo have a product key then you can re use it but I'm not one hundred percent sure.
 
Last edited:
Ooooh one more question. I already have a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit-OEM from my last build, do I need to buy a new one for his or no?

*technically* yes

Microsoft is pretty loose about giving out new keys sometimes though. Try calling them, tell them your motherboard died or something.


Heres the card I have. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150506
I want whatever card for this build to be the same in specs as that card.

pretty much all 6870s will have the same specs.
 
Ok I'm going to use the XFX 6870 I linked to earlier. Now I need help with a good wireless N card to work with our dlink dir 655 router.
 
Thats got terrible reviews of audio and mouse stuttering, a problem I have had before and do not want to go back too. Any others?
 
Tearing up the walls to put in a Ethernet line would have been a good idea about 1 year ago when the rooms below me were all torn up and open for easy access. :( I don't think tearing up brand new drywall will fly with my folks.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top