Trixx or Catalyst control?

dynasty`

Rookie
Joined
May 25, 2011
Messages
37
Ok so I posted earlier this week about getting a new GPU and Psu and already got both.
Well i got my Sapphire 6870 in yesterday and love it so far! Now my question is...should i run both the Sapphire Trixx OC tool (or MSI afterburner or whatever) and be running the Catalyst Control Center also?

I still use my CCC for video display settings and what not, and especially for changing fan speed while gaming. I do realize those other tools both have fan speed options but I cannot find anywhere what kind of problems or if its even ok to have both the CCC and Trixx running at the same time or if i should only have one installed. I dont want them to interfere and cause problems for me.

so if someone could help me out with this id appreciate it

-dynasty`
 
Use one of the other. If you use both, some settings may conflict....unless there are no settings changed, for obvious reasons. I've used CCC with other programs and it forcibly underclocked my card and restricted the fan speed :(. Maybe my card was just a controlled incident, but its best to just use one program or the other.
 
Whoa, now. CCC is your driver control panel. You want always want that running. I've been running CCC and MSI's Afterburner at the same time with absolutely no problems. Just make sure you don't use CCC's overclocking functions, the Overdrive section I believe, and there shouldn't be any conflicts.
 
If you play any game with punkbuster then I suggest using just CCC, using trixx or msi afterburner results in bsod/hardlocks
 
I use Saphire Trixx to overclock my 6950. I tried to use MSI Afterburn but I'm unable to pass 900 MHz core clock and 1325 Memory clock. With Trixx I have a stable setting of 950 MHz core clock and 1450 memory clock over the stock speeds of 840 MHz core clock and 1280 memory clock. I've been able to push it up to 960/1500 for benchmarks :)

If you play any game with punkbuster then I suggest using just CCC, using trixx or msi afterburner results in bsod/hardlocks

I had that problem with EVGA Precision with my old 8800 GT. I haven't had any problems with my 6950 using Trixx. Might not happen to everyone? Maybe? :s
 
Ok thanks guys.

Also can anyone link me to a good guide to overclocking gpu's? ive looked on overclock.net but havent been able to find what im looking for. I'd like to find something specific to my 6870 because I honestly dont know much about overclocking and changing voltages.

If overclocking isnt going to increase my fps by a lot then I probably won't even do it.

-dyansty`
 
It's all depends on the graphics card. Example I have a 6950 some people are able to hit 1000/1500 stable but I can't get past 960/1500 stable. You will see a gain. I can get up to a 10-15fps gain over stock with my card (Depending on the game)

Basically if you up your voltage you'll be able to overclock it higher and it'll be more stable. But this also reduces the life of the card, increases power usage and heat production.

Stock voltage for my card is 1100 with a clock of 840/1280. When I overclock it up to 960/1500 I have to use a voltage of 1200 to get it stable. Mostly it's about playing around with settings (but being smart about it) and doing just a little here and there, don't do DRAMATIC changes.

I forgot to mention with Sapphire Trixx you actually can set up a custom fan profile. This is my custom fan profile. As it hits certain temps it'll increasingly speed up the fan. I rarely hit 50c on a hot day.

 
Thanks celtic for the input. I think i may leave it at stock actually. It gets good frames in all of my games, BF3 gets between 55 and 85 frames and that's plenty for me since bf3 is ridiculously demanding.

Thanks for the help.
 
I wouldn't hold the performance you get with the BF3 beta. With new drivers and a full release you should see at least a 5-10fps increase with less stuttering as far as it'll bounce between 60-70 in half a second for no reason. Also a lot of things weren't actually engaged (ultra textures for one) so the beta won't compare to what the real game will look like.

So that being said, if the same settings were used you should get at least 60 constant with full release, but if you wanted to turn things up.. overclock it :) And you don't have to do much more as far as overclocking. I run my 960/1500 for benches, not gaming. Gaming is a 940/1400 which gives me about 10fps depending on the game over stock. Most of the time 960/1500 depending on the game I can only squeeze maybe another 2-3fps more.

I would just save your judgement for when the full release is out. :)

But no problem :)
 

Latest posts

Back
Top