Hey folks,
I'm currently in the market for a new headset (The G35 I've had for a year and a half died on me). However, I've come to realize that sound quality is pretty important to me and headSETS seem to sacrifice quality for a solid price point for being "two in one". I'm looking for some high quality headphones to pair up with the onboard audio on my Gigabyte 890GX until I can (if I have to) get a soundcard.
I'm not a huge fan of soundcards, but I do have the spare PCI/Express slot to put one in. If I do purchase one, it'll have to be next month, though.
I'm currently eyeing the following combination (in order of importance):
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013OWPV4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER"]JVC HARX700 Headphones:[/ame] I have a lot of audiophile friends and they say this is a fantastic "budget audio-fanatic" pair of headphones. I can spend up to $60-$75 or so on the headphones (right now these are about $30, usually $60+!)
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00029MTMQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER"]ZALMAN Clip-on Microphone[/ame]: I'm really not sure what to look for in clip-on mics. If anyone knows of a better one in the range of $5-$25ish, I'm listening! (lol) I don't like desktop mics but if they're quality, I'll take it.
I can spend about $100 on the sound card, but I won't be picking it up for a month. This is the one I was taking a look at. I honestly don't like Creative's products (I've always found them to be too pricey for their perfomance...), but I'm also only mildly familiar with what to look for in a sound card so I'm all ears.
ASUS Xonar D1 (7.1 24-bit audio)
I'm currently in the market for a new headset (The G35 I've had for a year and a half died on me). However, I've come to realize that sound quality is pretty important to me and headSETS seem to sacrifice quality for a solid price point for being "two in one". I'm looking for some high quality headphones to pair up with the onboard audio on my Gigabyte 890GX until I can (if I have to) get a soundcard.
I'm not a huge fan of soundcards, but I do have the spare PCI/Express slot to put one in. If I do purchase one, it'll have to be next month, though.
I'm currently eyeing the following combination (in order of importance):
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013OWPV4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER"]JVC HARX700 Headphones:[/ame] I have a lot of audiophile friends and they say this is a fantastic "budget audio-fanatic" pair of headphones. I can spend up to $60-$75 or so on the headphones (right now these are about $30, usually $60+!)
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00029MTMQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER"]ZALMAN Clip-on Microphone[/ame]: I'm really not sure what to look for in clip-on mics. If anyone knows of a better one in the range of $5-$25ish, I'm listening! (lol) I don't like desktop mics but if they're quality, I'll take it.
I can spend about $100 on the sound card, but I won't be picking it up for a month. This is the one I was taking a look at. I honestly don't like Creative's products (I've always found them to be too pricey for their perfomance...), but I'm also only mildly familiar with what to look for in a sound card so I'm all ears.
ASUS Xonar D1 (7.1 24-bit audio)





