Ask me questions about motherboards.

reflex99

EGO Is My Life!
Joined
Dec 18, 2008
Messages
4,044
(sing to Ghostbusters song)
There's nothing new
and it don't look good
what ya' gonna do?
Create a new thread!

So yea, I am bored. Which is a clever pun, because this thread is about motherboards.

Anyways, I consider myself fairly knowledgeable about motherboards, specifically on the AMD side. I (and a friend) have cataloged, and detailed the power delivery setup of every AM3/AM3+/FM1 motherboard, to date, and many popular AM2+ motherboards.
(see here: http://www.overclock.net/amd-motherboards/946407-amd-motherboard-vrm-information-list.html)

As a amateur competitive overclocker, I demand a lot from my gear, so I like to think I know what I am doing. You don't get 6+GHz from buying just any old board.

However, i can also answer about Intel boards as they are very similar, and I have worked with them as well, but don't love them enough to make a giant spreadsheet.

So, any questions you want to ask, feel free. Troubleshooting, i might not be able to help, but questions about the technology, I can answer. I am particularly knowledgeable about power delivery systems, and their components.

I find many people don't exactly know what makes a good motherboard a good motherboard. Most people just buy based off brand or something, without really knowing why.

So ever wanted to know why everyone recommends the __________? Now is your chance to ask.

Fire away... I look forward to answering some stuff.
 
Sabertooth 990FX, really good or overhyped. (I have one already and I really like it). Also what board did you get for the hexcore, and where's the review?
 
Hey Reflex, thanks for this thread!

Here's a question for you: I'm not overly familiar with the sockets of last generation's AMD mobos and how well -- if at all -- that they'll play with Bulldozer. One of the motherboards I own and use right now is the Gigabyte GA-890GP-UD3H and I'm not sure if it will physically seat the 32nm architecture of Bulldozer. I'm looking to upgrade to Bulldozer around Christmas, and the question is ...

Is it at all possible that I can fit, say ... the FX-8150 in the socket that my current motherboard has? Would it be safe, or even worthwhile to do so? Or would it just be better in general to upgrade my motherboard, and if I SHOULD just plain upgrade it, what's a good enthusiast's AM3+ motherboard?

If it helps you map out the features I'll need, I plan to overclock the stock clock rate to 4.0GHz on air (maybe higher if I can get a decent CPU cooler). I'd also like to have an extra PCI-E slot to throw in another 6950/6970 for Crossfire. Other features that would be nice are USB 3.0 (but I think that's pretty standard nowadays? :o) and high-quality audio -- I'm an an amateur audiphile who loves it when his games sound good and his music sings to his ears. :D

EDIT: as much as I'd hate to use any products with Fatal1ty's name on it, this ASRock board seems to be a nice alternative to ASUS' Sabertooth 990FX...?
 
Last edited:
Here's one, because it happened to me last week.

How can I stop AMD's intolerance to mismatched RAM frequencies?

For example, on my MSI 760gm, I had 4GB's of OCZ Fatality 1333. Then, went out and bought 4GB's of Kingston HyperX 1600, and it blue screened after about 3 days. Which eventually reoccurred every few hours. I had the bios frequencies set to 1333 (downclocked Kingston), and it still BS'd. So I took out the OCZ, and clocked the Kingston at 1600, and it's been stable since.

Oh and before you ask, I bought 1600 because for some reason it was the same price as the equivalent 1333.

If I can't get any easy solutions, I'll just pick up another 4GB's of the Kingston, because it's only $30. Plus I'm able to overclock .3GHz more with the higher frequency.
 
Here's one, because it happened to me last week.

How can I stop AMD's intolerance to mismatched RAM frequencies?

For example, on my MSI 760gm, I had 4GB's of OCZ Fatality 1333. Then, went out and bought 4GB's of Kingston HyperX 1600, and it blue screened after about 3 days. Which eventually reoccurred every few hours. I had the bios frequencies set to 1333 (downclocked Kingston), and it still BS'd. So I took out the OCZ, and clocked the Kingston at 1600, and it's been stable since.

Oh and before you ask, I bought 1600 because for some reason it was the same price as the equivalent 1333.

If I can't get any easy solutions, I'll just pick up another 4GB's of the Kingston, because it's only $30. Plus I'm able to overclock .3GHz more with the higher frequency.

I'll go ahead and answer this one.

First, which one of these motheboards (if any of them) is yours?: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ... 600008296 600008414&IsNodeId=1&name=AMD 760G

This doesn't sound like a motherboard issue, but rather, it could possibly be a RAM issue. The fact that when you take out a set of ram the problem goes away leads me to believe there may be something physically wrong with the RAM, not the motherboard itself. I have a 790GX, and while the northbridge/PCIe controller may be different, the actual architecture for the memory controller (which is on the CPU itself) is not.

This may take some time, but I need you to do this with the RAM.

Put in both sticks of OCZ RAM, and take out the newer Kingston RAM.

Download Memtest86

Follow the directions for creating a bootable disk.

After this, you need to restart your computer and boot from the disk. You should automatically run the test utility. Let that run for around 6 hours or so (do this overnight if possible). It won't damage any part of your computer. It tests your RAM for errors. If errors come back, you know that one or both sticks are going bad. If no errors come back, then something else may be causing your problems.



And before you ask, I have mismatched RAM sticks (2 G.Skill 1600mhz CAS9 and 2 PNY 1600mhz CAS8) and my computer runs 1600mhz DDR3 with all 4 sticks installed no problem.
 
Last edited:
The OCZ is fine though, in fact it's ran 100% stable for nearly 2 years now. Plus it would be a little ironic for it to go bad right after installing new RAM that is a different frequency. I've ran memtest with the Windows 7 boot disc, but it's been about 2 months.

I've searched around and it's a common problem with AM3 chipsets, and I haven't found any good explanations. It's not a total flaw or migraine causing issue, it would just be nice to know how to fix it.

But, if I can't fix it and I do test the OCZ for 100% stability, I'll probably just give it away on here to someone who needs it and pick up more Kingston.
 
The OCZ is fine though, in fact it's ran 100% stable for nearly 2 years now. Plus it would be a little ironic for it to go bad right after installing new RAM that is a different frequency. I've ran memtest with the Windows 7 boot disc, but it's been about 2 months.

I've searched around and it's a common problem with AM3 chipsets, and I haven't found any good explanations. It's not a total flaw or migraine causing issue, it would just be nice to know how to fix it.

But, if I can't fix it and I do test the OCZ for 100% stability, I'll probably just give it away on here to someone who needs it and pick up more Kingston.

Humor me and run that test. I've had 3 sets of RAM go bad on me since I made this AMD build 2 years ago. It is possible that it happened to you too. I'm not doubting what you said, though. You're probably right.

Also, stupid question, but are you sure you're matching the sticks correctly (each pair of sticks in the black or blue slots)? I know that's also pretty trivial, but I was running single-channel DDR3 for the longest time and I didn't even know it, and when I corrected the issue, my system went haywire, and I had to reformat and RMA a set of RAM. AMD systems are strange sometimes.
 
Also, stupid question, but are you sure you're matching the sticks correctly (each pair of sticks in the black or blue slots)? I know that's also pretty trivial, but I was running single-channel DDR3 for the longest time and I didn't even know it, and when I corrected the issue, my system went haywire, and I had to reformat and RMA a set of RAM. AMD systems are strange sometimes.

Haha that's the first thing I double checked, then I tried them in mismatched slots and pretty much every rotation possible with no luck. Right now I'm running them in the black slots, dual channel, unganged.
 
Haha that's the first thing I double checked, then I tried them in mismatched slots and pretty much every rotation possible with no luck. Right now I'm running them in the black slots, dual channel, unganged.

Ok cool. Just checking. AMD organizes their slots differently from Intel, which is why I screwed up the first time. Good to know you've already checked that. :)
 
Sabertooth 990FX, really good or overhyped. (I have one already and I really like it). Also what board did you get for the hexcore, and where's the review?

It is a very high quality board. It is the cheapest board you can get with decent Tri-SLI support. Has like 90% of the features of the CHV, but you save $50. Overclocking ability is sacrificed a bit from the CHV, but nothing that will effect 99% of users. It also has a 5 year warranty which is kinda amazing.

If you don't wanna spend the money on the CHV, and for some reason don't like the ASRock 990FX Fatal1ty Pro, i would say the Sabertooth is the next best thing.

Hey Reflex, thanks for this thread!

Here's a question for you: I'm not overly familiar with the sockets of last generation's AMD mobos and how well -- if at all -- that they'll play with Bulldozer. One of the motherboards I own and use right now is the Gigabyte GA-890GP-UD3H and I'm not sure if it will physically seat the 32nm architecture of Bulldozer. I'm looking to upgrade to Bulldozer around Christmas, and the question is ...

Is it at all possible that I can fit, say ... the FX-8150 in the socket that my current motherboard has? Would it be safe, or even worthwhile to do so? Or would it just be better in general to upgrade my motherboard, and if I SHOULD just plain upgrade it, what's a good enthusiast's AM3+ motherboard?

If it helps you map out the features I'll need, I plan to overclock the stock clock rate to 4.0GHz on air (maybe higher if I can get a decent CPU cooler). I'd also like to have an extra PCI-E slot to throw in another 6950/6970 for Crossfire. Other features that would be nice are USB 3.0 (but I think that's pretty standard nowadays? :o) and high-quality audio -- I'm an an amateur audiphile who loves it when his games sound good and his music sings to his ears. :D

EDIT: as much as I'd hate to use any products with Fatal1ty's name on it, this ASRock board seems to be a nice alternative to ASUS' Sabertooth 990FX...?

AMD threw a massive wrench in the system with their latest stepping. Originally FX was supossed to work on older boards with AM3a sockets, as long as they board had a bios to support it. Depending on what revision of the UD3H you have, it may or may not have an FX bios (i think rev 2.1 on does).

HOWEVER! Some boards that got FX bios's have not been working with bulldozer. For example the Crosshair IV does have a bios that supports FX, but for some reason FX does not work anyways...

I would contact the manufacturer on this one specifically, since only they will know for sure.


As for AM3+ boards, the Sabertooth is a solid choice. The Fatal1ty has more bells and whistles, but only supports 16x16x4x, whereas the sabertooth will do 16x8x8x. There are no real "bad" 990FX boards. The UD5 and UD7 are probably the lowest on my list since they suffer from pretty terrible vdroop (voltage lowers a lot under load). Some vdroop is normal, but the UD5/UD7 have been see going down like .1-.15v :eek: A bios that supports LLC could be implemented, but I don't really like buying products based on future updates.....

If you want to save a bit of cash, the 990FXA-UD3 is a good option. I think it satisfies all of your requirements too.

Here's one, because it happened to me last week.

How can I stop AMD's intolerance to mismatched RAM frequencies?

For example, on my MSI 760gm, I had 4GB's of OCZ Fatality 1333. Then, went out and bought 4GB's of Kingston HyperX 1600, and it blue screened after about 3 days. Which eventually reoccurred every few hours. I had the bios frequencies set to 1333 (downclocked Kingston), and it still BS'd. So I took out the OCZ, and clocked the Kingston at 1600, and it's been stable since.

Oh and before you ask, I bought 1600 because for some reason it was the same price as the equivalent 1333.

If I can't get any easy solutions, I'll just pick up another 4GB's of the Kingston, because it's only $30. Plus I'm able to overclock .3GHz more with the higher frequency.

I'll go ahead and answer this one.

First, which one of these motheboards (if any of them) is yours?: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ... 600008296 600008414&IsNodeId=1&name=AMD 760G

This doesn't sound like a motherboard issue, but rather, it could possibly be a RAM issue. The fact that when you take out a set of ram the problem goes away leads me to believe there may be something physically wrong with the RAM, not the motherboard itself. I have a 790GX, and while the northbridge/PCIe controller may be different, the actual architecture for the memory controller (which is on the CPU itself) is not.

This may take some time, but I need you to do this with the RAM.

Put in both sticks of OCZ RAM, and take out the newer Kingston RAM.

Download Memtest86

Follow the directions for creating a bootable disk.

After this, you need to restart your computer and boot from the disk. You should automatically run the test utility. Let that run for around 6 hours or so (do this overnight if possible). It won't damage any part of your computer. It tests your RAM for errors. If errors come back, you know that one or both sticks are going bad. If no errors come back, then something else may be causing your problems.



And before you ask, I have mismatched RAM sticks (2 G.Skill 1600mhz CAS9 and 2 PNY 1600mhz CAS8) and my computer runs 1600mhz DDR3 with all 4 sticks installed no problem.

Ok cool. Just checking. AMD organizes their slots differently from Intel, which is why I screwed up the first time. Good to know you've already checked that. :)


I would say that is more of a ram problem. With AMD/newer intel boards, ram issues are RARELY the fault of the motherboard. The Memory controller is in the CPU, the board just acts as a pass through, so unless you damaged the slots or something it should be fine.


Troubleshooting:
try setting the ram to the lowest speed possible (probably 800MHz or 1066MHz), with really loose timings (9-9-9-28 2N)

Specifically the 2N part. I have found when running 4 dimms on Deneb, they sometimes cannot handle 1T command rate.

Also, if you have a C2 chip, you are pretty much screwed if you wanna run 4 dimms at 1600MHz. C2 memory controller is particularly weak. To run 4 dimms at anything close to 1600 you really would ideally have an E0 Controller (Thuban), or FX.

that said, something like 1333 9-10-9-24 2N/T should be doable on a C2 chip.
 
OK I also have one that i was about to post my own thread about.

First question, I have a i7 920 and im looking to change mobo's and Ive decided on either The Asus x58 Sabertooth http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131665
or the Asus P6X58D-E http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131641

Now my question is which of these should I get? Ive heard good stuff about both and the usual, not so good things. but im really undecided about which one to buy. (Also im looking to overclock to a modest 3.5Ghz from my stock 2.66)

My second question is, I know its typically a good thing to reinstall windows when you change motherboards. My only problem with that is i have no idea what all that entails, and that originally i bought the Vista Home premium 64-bit with my Gateway 6800-01e, (well ive replaced everything in it, except the hard drive, optical drive, CPU, and the motherboard, took me two years to realize i should have built my own computer instead) so I dont have an install disk to use. and idk how to go about reinstalling windows if i get a new motherboard.

If you or anyone could shed some light on this it would help me a lot because id like to buy a new mobo soo.

thanks dynasty`
 
Last edited:
A. Really, both of those boards are so similar, the only differences i can pick up are:

1. P6X58 uses a 16+2 phase power delivery design, versus the 8+2 phase setup of the Saber. In the end though, this really isn't too much of an issue, as both boards are limited in other areas, power delivery should not be a problem. I *believe* the sabertooth is using higher rated chokes and transistors though, so to most normal users, it is a wash between the two.

Theoretically, the P6X58 should be able to deliver cleaner power, with less fluctuations, and run a tad bit cooler, however in practice, under normal usage, there will be no decernable difference.

2. The Sabertooth has a 5 year warranty vs. the 3 year warranty on the P6. This in itself would be reason alone for me to get the sabertooth honestly.

3. The Sabertooth is a much newer platform. The P6X58 is based on the old P6T, and it is kinda showing its age. Overclocking performance is a bit meh.

So overall, i would give the edge to the sabertooth.


B. The copy of windows that came with your Gateway is tied to the current motherboard. You will need to either buy a new licence, or obtain a copy of windows some other way.

You can attempt to call MS, say that your motherboard failed, and you need a new key to reactivate, they are usually pretty lienent, and will give it to you.
 
Whats the best "bang for your buck" motherboard with 1155 socket and Z68 northbridge?
 
Which AMD motherboard (AM3+) has the best on board RAID support?

My wife's coworker is thinking of building a workstation for her budding photography business and wants a REALLY fast storage subsystem.

She was thinking of getting a pair of 120 or 240 GB SSD's in RAID 0 for the OS, swap and scratch files coupled with a pair (or trio) of fast mechanical drives also in RAID 0 for project storage.

She understands that RAID 0 isn't for backing things up, she wants to get a NAS for that.

Come to think of it, would an Opteron or Xeon solution be better? What about a dedicated RAID card?
 
Whats the best "bang for your buck" motherboard with 1155 socket and Z68 northbridge?

On a pure price/performance ratio: ASRock Extreme 3 Gen3:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157271

It has a few quirks, and may not overclock the best, but for $125, i think those shortcomings are forgivable.

Without making as many compromises, i would consider either the:

ASUS P8Z68/GEN3:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131792

or Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128506

Which AMD motherboard (AM3+) has the best on board RAID support?

My wife's coworker is thinking of building a workstation for her budding photography business and wants a REALLY fast storage subsystem.

She was thinking of getting a pair of 120 or 240 GB SSD's in RAID 0 for the OS, swap and scratch files coupled with a pair (or trio) of fast mechanical drives also in RAID 0 for project storage.

She understands that RAID 0 isn't for backing things up, she wants to get a NAS for that.

Come to think of it, would an Opteron or Xeon solution be better? What about a dedicated RAID card?
for professional application + high performance workload like that, i would look into a dedicated raid solution.

Otherwise, all 990 boards use the AMD 950 southbridge, so they all perform within margin or error of eachother in drive performance.

Intel's P67/Z68 PCH usually benchmarks higher in drive performance though.
 
What are your thoughts about Micro ATX motherboards?

Also, to add on this:
What would your top 3 (or more) choices of a Socket 1155 M-ATX motherboard be? (you could include other sockets too if you want to sum it all in one post)
 
Micro ATX boards should be used in micro ATX cases....:D

I personally don't buy them purely because I want the option to have more expansion slots, and they are harder to resell.

1155:
Maximus IV Gene (Z)
P8P67M-Pro (unforutunately discontinued, and replaced with a Z68 version that is totally gimped)
Giga Z68MX-UD2H
MSi Z68MA-ED55

1366:
Rampage III Gene
Evga X58 SLI Micro
Rampage II Gene


1156:
Maximus III Gene (i actually own this one)
Giga H55M-UD2H

775:
Maximus Gene
Don't really know much of any others....:(

AM3+:
Crosshair V gene (not out yet, but ASUS says they will make one *fingers crossed*)
Giga 880GMA-USB3

AM3:
DFI LP JR 790GX-M3H5
Biostar TA890GXE
Giga 880GMA-UD2H

AM2(+)
DFI LP JR 790GX-M2RS
 

Latest posts

Back
Top