Good CPU for GTX 460?

Mr.Game

Forum Fiend
Joined
Feb 2, 2011
Messages
695
I just need to get some input/advice here.

If I were to build an AMD OR Intel based computer, what CPU would go best with a single Nvidia GTX 460?

Additional Information:
  • 1600 x 900 Resolution.
  • I'm going to be gaming, recording gameplay, photo/video editing (nothing extreme), and 3D game design (such as UDK).
  • I'm NOT going to be overclocking anything.
  • I'm possibly buying it within 1 to 2 months.
Currently, I'm deciding between the following CPU's:
  • Intel Core i3-2100 (Or similar)
  • Intel Core i5-2500 (Possibly*)
  • AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE (Or similar)
  • AMD Phenom II X6 XXXX (Possibly*)
  • AMD FX-6100 (Possibly*)
Any other suggestion(s) would be much appreciated.

(*I'm not trying to spend that much, would prefer to keep it low budget.)

Also, would 4GB of RAM be a bottleneck to the CPU/GPU?


Thanks in advanced!
 
I'd recommend the Intel i5 2500k, simply because it's an obscenely powerful processor for it's price, and has tremendous overclocking ability, resulting in a longer lifespan. It doesn't hinder the GTX 460 in any way (I build computers for friends and family, and have extensive experience with the newer Intel chips i.e. 2500k, 2600k, etc.) and wouldn't be bottlenecking the GTX 460 at all, or any other GPU on the market. With regards to your question about 4gb of RAM, I'd have to say it'd be smart to grab another 2gb, as you say you're doing photo and video editing, gameplay recording, and using UDK, all of which are memory-intensive. It'd also help if you could tell me what frequency your RAM is running at, and which type (DDR2 or DDR3) just so I can make a more informed decision to help.

Regards,

Henderson
 
I would go with either the i3-2100 or 955. Between the two of them, I would only go 955 if you know there are multi-threaded programs that the 955 will shine in. And 4GB should be great. I can't imagine anything using more than that until Windows 8 releases, and even then..
 
I'd recommend the Intel i5 2500k, simply because it's an obscenely powerful processor for it's price, and has tremendous overclocking ability, resulting in a longer lifespan. It doesn't hinder the GTX 460 in any way (I build computers for friends and family, and have extensive experience with the newer Intel chips i.e. 2500k, 2600k, etc.) and wouldn't be bottlenecking the GTX 460 at all, or any other GPU on the market. With regards to your question about 4gb of RAM, I'd have to say it'd be smart to grab another 2gb, as you say you're doing photo and video editing, gameplay recording, and using UDK, all of which are memory-intensive. It'd also help if you could tell me what frequency your RAM is running at, and which type (DDR2 or DDR3) just so I can make a more informed decision to help.

Regards,

Henderson

As I said:
Not going to be overclocking, so don't need the K.
Wasn't really looking to spend that much on just the CPU alone...

As for the RAM... Of course DDR3 with whatever speed the motherboard can handle. (motherboard to be decided based on CPU)

I'll more than likely just go with 8GB anyways because of how cheap it is now.
 
I'd say:

2100< 955.
The 2100 will be faster at stock in poorly threaded applications, but you cannot overclock it. If you get a healthy 4GHz out of the 955, It will probably win most of the time.


2500K>pretty much everything else.
pretty obvious one here. I'd get the K, becuase it is only $10-20 more, and if you ever decide to overclock, you will at least have the option.

All P67/Z68 boards will support 800-2133MHz....The memory controller is in the CPU, the board just needs to have a bios option for it. Any decent board will have such an option.
 
Last edited:
I would go with either the i3-2100 or 955. Between the two of them, I would only go 955 if you know there are multi-threaded programs that the 955 will shine in. And 4GB should be great. I can't imagine anything using more than that until Windows 8 releases, and even then..

After all the reviews I've read between those two, the general conclusion was i3-2100 for gaming performance, 955 for most anything else... But what would perform better when recording your gameplay? I was thinking the 955 would, but wasn't sure.

I'll more than likely just go with 8GB anyways because of how cheap it is now.
 
Last edited:
I'm inclined to strongly recommend against investing in a dual core CPU. If you hadn't realized, we're now moving onto 8 cores and up; the time where dual cores were a viable computing solution has come and passed. Sure, it'll be good for some games and apps, but it'd be like polishing a turd (For lack of a better term). I know you said you aren't going to be doing overclocking, but why wouldn't you want the option? Overclocking can greatly extend the lifetime of a CPU, and when the day comes when the CPU isn't doing as well as it once was, overclocking can more often than not fix that. Just some things to think about.

Regards,

Henderson
 
Last edited:
I'd say:

2100< 955.
The 2100 will be faster at stock in poorly threaded applications, but you cannot overclock it. If you get a healthy 4GHz out of the 955, It will probably win most of the time.


2500K>pretty much everything else.
pretty obvious one here. I'd get the K, becuase it is only $10-20 more, and if you ever decide to overclock, you will at least have the option.

All P67/Z68 boards will support 800-2133MHz....The memory controller is in the CPU, the board just needs to have a bios option for it. Any decent board will have such an option.

If I'm forced to get the 2500, I'll be forced to get an H61/H67 motherboard (unless I can find a P67/Z68 in the same price range).

I'm inclined to strongly recommend against investing in a dual core CPU. If you hadn't realized, we're now moving onto 8 cores and up; the time where dual cores were a viable computing solution has come and passed. Sure, it'll be good for some games and apps, but it'd be like polishing a turd (For lack of a better term). I know you said you aren't going to be doing overclocking, but why wouldn't you want the option? Overclocking can greatly extend the lifetime of a CPU, and when the day comes when the CPU isn't doing as well as it once was, overclocking can more often than not fix that. Just some things to think about.

Regards,

Henderson

Just as I said above...
Mr.Game said:
If I'm forced to get the 2500, I'll be forced to get an H61/H67 motherboard (unless I can find a P67/Z68 in the same price range).
 
Last edited:
Well here's my rig which uses a GTX 460, the CPU only bottlenecks in BF3 on Caspian Border. They don't make my CPU anymore but should give you a bit of an idea and both are overclocked.

AMD Athlon II x4 635 @3.26GHz
MSI Cyclone NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 900/1800/2000
ASRock A780LM AM2+/AM2 (760G) Micro ATX
ADATA DDR2 800 Premier 4GB (2x2GB)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
 
Microcenter has some pretty enticing deals on processor/motherboard combos at the moment. $80 off some Intel boards with purchase of a 2500k or 2600k. Same goes for AMD, $40 off when you bundle a CPU and motherboard. I think these are only good in store, maybe you have one near you?
 

Latest posts

Back
Top