What do you think?

Cascsiany

Dust 2 Devotee
Sr. Manager
Joined
Aug 4, 2010
Messages
4,203
I am looking into getting a desktop. I don't need a monitor but will need at least a keyboard. My budget is ~$700. I mostly play CS:S but also a couple other games. In addition to playing games I will need to do some design work on it. I was looking at getting a HP Pavilion Elite h8-1039 (QU123AA#ABA) Desktop PC Phenom II X6 1065T(2.9GHz) 8GB DDR3 1TB HDD Capacity AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB GDDR5 Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. Any thoughts?
 
This is just IMHO, but for your budget and what you're asking for, I would recommend looking into a site that builds custom rigs for you like iBuyPower, CyberPowerPC, etc. if you don't / won't / can't build it for yourself for any reason. ;O Just remember, it's ALWAYS cheaper to pick components out yourself and build it by hand -- but I know that's not feasible for everyone!

Of course, the answer is dependant on how much horsepower you'll want for your design work -- if it's an intensive program (or set of programs), you'll want a powerful, multiple-core processor and plenty of RAM, and a solid GPU -- maybe with good VRAM for multi-monitor setups if you're into that or need that for work.

Keep in mind, while you could get a fairly awesome i5/i7 Sandy Bridge rig for that budget, you may not need that much power -- and if you don't need then you could easily build a gaming/creativity rig for around or under $500-$600ish that will not only be effectively cheaper than buying a prebuilt from HP or what have you, but more powerful. Still, future-proofing is never a bad idea!

More bang for your buck, if you will.

Keep us updated!
 
Last edited:
I personally can't build it but I talked to someone and they said they would build it for me.

This is what I was thinking so far. I still need to get a case and the power supply, is there anything else I need? And can you suggest some changes because as it stands I'm going way over budget.
Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

MSI 870S-G46 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard

Rosewill RNX-N150PC PCI 2.2 Wireless Adapter

XFX HD-685X-ZCFC Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

ASUS Black SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model DVD-E818A7T/BLK/B/GEN - OEM
PNY Optima 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model MD8192KD3-1333

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT90ZFBGRBOX

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM

XIGMATEK Cooling System XLF-F1254 120mm White LED Black Case Fan PSU Molex Adapter/extender included
 
Last edited:
It seriously is the easiest thing to do...It is like a lego set with 10 or less pieces.

If you give me some time i can probably throw together a build. Today i am really busy though.
 
It seriously is the easiest thing to do...It is like a lego set with 10 or less pieces.

If you give me some time i can probably throw together a build. Today i am really busy though.

How about a month or so? That's probably about how long it'll take me to get the cash together before I can get the parts.
 
yea, if it's going to take that long, come back and make a thread when it is time.

technology moves really fast, in a month, the market could be completely different.

The parts you posted, decent attempt, but I wouldn't trust that motherboard with a 1090T. The G45 and its derivatives (like the G46 there) have a history of (catastrophic) failure with high TDP parts, and X6 processors.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top