I had a conversation at work, three or four years ago, about this. (I'm a software engineer).
Back when I was working on my undergrad (15-20 years ago), and when I first started working, if you wanted to know how to do something, you looked it up in a book.
My office at work used to have TONS of books; everything from administering to advanced algorithms.
I do NOT remember the last time I opened one of those books. Every few months, I'll take some home and put them in my attic.
Now, if I don't remember the syntax or don't know how to do something, I just google it.
What's the params for C++'s STL sort? Umm.. umm.. google to the rescue!
The web is an amazing and wonderful resource.
The link TomSound provided is actually pretty nifty. If you have NO programming experience, JavaScript is a great place to learn/dabble. You don't need a compiler or anything... just need to know the basics of html (and no, html is not programming).