Windows issue

Muffs

Poster Extraordinaire
=(eGO)=
Joined
Aug 11, 2010
Messages
3,061
Today I turned on my desktop and after signing in my password, I was prompted saying "Please enter the correct CD key to activate windows." I've had my desktop for two almost three years. I hit cancel and now it's telling me that I have a pirated copy of windows vista home premium. Any ideas on how to fix this without using the CD key? I bought it from a store so I don't have the CD key.
 
Like shadows said, your key should be on the back of your computer, on a sticker (usually looks something like this).

I find it strange that this would happen out of the blue.

Did you recently reinstall Windows? If you did, make sure you install all the latest updates from Windows Update, including service packs, before you enter the key. I had an issue where I had a CD with Windows Vista on it, but my key was for service pack 2 or something, so it wouldn't accept it. Thirty days later, it wouldn't let me use the computer because I hadn't provided a key. Once I reinstalled Vista and installed all the available updates, the key worked fine.
 
This happened to my computer once. You'll want to find a sticker on it that looks like this:
cod-sticker.jpg

Well similar, obviously it won't say XP.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top