Upgrade = Slow?

Walkuere-

Poster
Joined
Sep 1, 2009
Messages
170
So I just put in my new CPU (I went from an AMD Athlon X2 at 2.70GHz to a used AMD Phenom II X4 at 3.00 GHz) and I started my computer up, everything went fine, no error messages or anything. Then it got to the desktop and it installed drivers, then asked me to restart my computer, so I did. Then when that was done I played Battlefield 3 for awhile and it handled it better than my last cpu for sure. The dual core I had, I wasn't even able to play it with, it was so sluggish. Anyways, it seems like my computer is slower when I am just browsing websites which never really happened before. I read on the internet that I may have to update my bios for it to work properly but I'm not sure. Anyone know what I should do? Thanks.
 
In the bios under Advanced CPU Features, disable C1E. Since your mismatching sockets it could be bugged keeping it downclocked during normal browsing.

If you have a USB stick lying around, definitely update your bios too.
 
Last edited:
Is he really mismatching sockets? I thought Athlon II and Phenom II were both AM3.
 
Is he really mismatching sockets? I thought Athlon II and Phenom II were both AM3.

Athlon X2. As in dual core. Not Athlon II. I had to catch that too.

But Athlon X2 is AM2 and AM2+.

I need to say too, 2, to, two more times. :mellow:
 
I can't seem to get into the bios, when I restart my computer and it gets to the screen where it says my motherboard on the top and on the bottom it says "Press tab to enter setup, press del to enter bios post message" I tried pressing tab and my computer just starts up normally to the desktop, I tried del and same thing happened. I'm not sure which one I should be pressing. Am I not doing this right?
 
I can't seem to get into the bios, when I restart my computer and it gets to the screen where it says my motherboard on the top and on the bottom it says "Press tab to enter setup, press del to enter bios post message" I tried pressing tab and my computer just starts up normally to the desktop, I tried del and same thing happened. I'm not sure which one I should be pressing. Am I not doing this right?

Delete is the one you use.

Wait until immediately after your motherboard makes the posting "beep" noise
 
Ok, in bios, C1E was already disabled, do I need to update the bios? I have an M3N72-D motherboard. The new processor is an AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDX945FBGIBOX, this is my motherboards cpu support list http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM2Plus/M3N72D/#CPUS

My current bios version is:
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS M3N72-D ACPI BIOS Revision 0603, 12/9/2008

Is this what's wrong? If I need to update it, how do I do that?
 
Ok, in bios, C1E was already disabled, do I need to update the bios? I have an M3N72-D motherboard. The new processor is an AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDX945FBGIBOX, this is my motherboards cpu support list http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM2Plus/M3N72D/#CPUS

My current bios version is:
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS M3N72-D ACPI BIOS Revision 0603, 12/9/2008

Is this what's wrong? If I need to update it, how do I do that?

Best bet is to check the ASUS user forums. I'm not familiar with your mobo though I do have an ASUS. There is an option to download the BIOS to flash drive on mine and install it that way. 2008 sounds a bit old for a BIOS; but, while ASUS is fantastic with new gear they are HORRIBLE at keeping old gear up to date.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top