Which processor to choose

B00MB00MBenji

Active Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2011
Messages
261
I am trying to decide which processor to get. Here is what I will be doing with it.

I will not be planning overclocking the CPU (Older brother doesn't want me to do it, since I might blow the PC up, and he doesn't want to pay extra money for more fans :P.)

I will also not be getting parts t'ill late april/whole month of may (Any good sales around that time?)

Thats about it.

I am trying to decide which one is the better bargain.

I don't want any suggestions for better CPU's, unless they are under 130$, and is AMD.(I understand Intel is faster, but I don't have money to get intel products at the moment)

here are the CPU's

AMD Phenom ll x4


AMD FX-4100
 
Isn't this related to a previous thread? Seems familiar :P. Anyway I believe the phenom is better, unless i'm mistaken. Its actually a 1060T with 2 of its 6 cores disable for some reason. They could be bad cores, or purposely disabled. If i'm correct about the phenom being better, it might be a plus that the 2 other cores can be unlocked. I don't know, its too late at night to be thinking >_>
 
960T for sure. Prices might drop somewhat with intel hopefully releasing new processors at that time, but nothing is certain. And yes, it has the possibility of unlocking a core or 2.
 
If you can get the clocks up to like 4.5-4.8 on the FX-4100 it would be pretty even to the 960T at like 4GHz. And it would destroy at anything optimized for AVX, XOP or FMA4.

but until any of those instruction sets take off, the 960T is probably going to have the edge in most scenarios.
 
I actually just got my own FX-4100 in the mail. I find that it has great gaming performance. I also have it overclocked to 4.2GHz though so stock vs. stock the phenom II has better benchmarks but overclocked right now my proc is scoring higher than a stock phenom.
 
I'm with RapTure on this one; buy the FX and OC to 4.2.
If you're not OC'ing then just buy the Phenom
 
I'm going to side with Reflex on this...he knows about computers and knows Chuck Norris was here! Seriously though the FX has to OC to best the performance of the 960T. Just for a second, think about this: what if, what if the Phenom was OC'd? My thoughts exactly :P
 
I'm with RapTure on this one; buy the FX and OC to 4.2.
If you're not OC'ing then just buy the Phenom

that doesn't make any sense.....


both at stock:

960T = 100%
FX-4100 = ~80%

with FX at 4.2, and 960T at stock:

960T = 100%
FX-4100 = 100%

FX @ 4.2, 960T @ 4.0 ( average thuban OC)

FX-4100 = 100%
960T = 120%



(percents used are rough estimates, but the concept remains.)
 
AMD FX chips are cheap but they are not as fast as the Phenom's because Windows 7 architecture is not made for FX chips. Once Windows 8 comes out then the FX chips will be blazing fast.
 
Phenom, it's stock is high than fx as reflex said. So you wouldn't have to oc to reach the same performance
 

Latest posts

Back
Top