Tech Question ?

Swampfox5000

Thread Junky
=(e)=
Joined
Sep 8, 2011
Messages
841
I called Dell today asking several question's about my rig. I have an Intel I 7 2600K MB and 8 gig of 1866 meg ram, it says my MB can handle 16 gigs of ram, however " they " being the wizards @ Dell say, i would have to reduce my ram to 1600 meg or less to get the 16 meg out put of the MB. Now this seems strange to me, if the MB can handle 16 gigs of ram, why would i want to scale back my 1866 meg to a 1600 meg, and why should it matter? what was strange, i did not see any 1866 meg ram for sale on the dell web site. Are they trying to pull the wall over my eye's ? and being lazy or they not wanting to come off the ram? am i being dumb here? I know i can count on my eGO breathen to gave me an unbiased answer. Swamp :chair: :facewall:
 
Last edited:
Well to answer your 1st question, ya Dell's customer support hasnt always been top notch. Whats sad is that their home base is in Round Rock, Texas, & yet they seem to hire idiots to work for them (why I have no earthly clue).

Anyways, depending upon the type of motherboard you have will depend on the limit that you can get with the memory. Depending of whether you have Vista or Windows 7, do a search for dxdiag (Direct X) & click it to open it up. The system tag should be the 1st tag that comes up & what you want to look for is system model. That will tell you which specific motherboard you have. After that, Google search your motherboard & it will be able to tell you whats the max memory it can hold, not to mention which bus speeds it can handle.

Ill tell you 1 thing, I did a search and found out that the 1866 bus speed is the 2nd most popular (didnt even know that there was such a bus speed til now). However, if you want to keep with that memory you can, or if you want to double up on the memory, I would highly suggest against Dell. Go with Newegg (we have multiple members on the forums here who use this company & swear up & down by em, myself included). Also Newegg's prices are bound to be cheaper, not to mention that you can get free ground shipping with the memory (I bet that Dell will charge on the s&h).

I hope that this has helped in your search. If you have any more questions, feel free to hit us up so that we can help you further.
 
Newegg always has better prices. For example win7 is 99 there and at my local best buy it was 150 lol
 
As far as Dell support let me tell you this... I was asked once by Dell support if I was kicking my rig because they had studies showing that kicking would cause the fan trouble I was having, so I just hung up.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top