Desktop Won't Start Up :(

Fraurrix

Thread Junky
Joined
May 17, 2011
Messages
897
I haven't used my desktop for almost 5 months because I've been away. I went to fire it up today and it starts up for half-a-second that turns itself of and keeps going through that cycle. I'm not sure what the problem is.

I tried switching the voltage on the power supply from 130v to 260v. I know you're not supposed to do that, but I was just trying stuff out. The computer actually started up, but I couldn't get a signal to my monitor.

I think it's safe to say I need a new power supply, but I'm worried there may be a problem with the motherboard.

Online tutorials to fixing this problem have been useless.
 
Doubling the voltage might fry your mobo. Just depends on what safeguards are built it and what the max voltage rating of the mobo is. When You turn on your computer do the LED's on the mobo light?
 
Doubling the voltage might fry your mobo. Just depends on what safeguards are built it and what the max voltage rating of the mobo is. When You turn on your computer do the LED's on the mobo light?
I assume so. I don't recall and I don't want to try it again to avoid frying. Everything else starts working, fans start spinning, CD-ROM drive starts up, etc.

I'll probably just buy a new power supply tomorrow. If that doesn't work, I'll just buy a new motherboard. Won't be too big a loss if I have to as I'm currently using an i3 processor.
 
Last edited:
Sounds like it might be the mobo or cpu. You'd need an oscilloscope or Digital multimeter to rule out the power supply though.
 
Sounds like it might be the mobo or cpu. You'd need an oscilloscope or Digital multimeter to rule out the power supply though.
Hmmm... I don't have any of those handy and they probably cost more than the actual power supply. Mine's only a 480w so I can get another for like $30. But then if I gotta replace something else, I'll probably just upgrade and hence need a better power supply. And my video card is probably obsolete by now...

I might as well just replace most of the computer lol.
 
Last edited:
Turns out it was just my power supply. But I went and dropped $800 on upgrades anyway. I got a new motherboard, processor, graphics card and power supply. My computer is beautiful now.
 
Haha oh god.. Rma it and hope for the best lol
 
Check the capacitors on your mobo if any are "bubbled" or "pop up" then you mobo took the hit and it doesn't matter what PS you put on it anymore. If the ps just went bad in 2 day then go back to the store and make them give you another.
 
Yeah, I took it in and they took care of it all for me. Which I'm glad of because they're pros at organizing the power supply wires.

I think they were pretty surprised. Apparently this is the first time they've had a Cooler Master returned.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top