Restoring Scratched CDs?

Fraurrix

Thread Junky
Joined
May 17, 2011
Messages
897
Hey folks, despite my best efforts to take care of my CDs, many of them are pretty scratched up. None are unreadable, but I wanna try and get them fixed before I get to that point.

Is there any fool-proof product out there that I can use to restore scratched CDs? All I've been able to find is internet videos of people putting stuff like toothpaste and deodorant on there disks. Common sense tells me these home remedies are terrible ideas.
 
Also, have any of you used those protective skins you can put on the bottom of your disks? Are they everything they're cracked up to be?
 
Back up your CDs onto your hard drive so if thu ever do become that scratched buy some CDs and put the music/DVD back on but yea they have disc cleaners, I bought one for 40$ and it did work but it felt like cheap plastic.
 
Back up your CDs onto your hard drive so if thu ever do become that scratched buy some CDs and put the music/DVD back on but yea they have disc cleaners, I bought one for 40$ and it did work but it felt like cheap plastic.
Is it legal to rip your DVDs onto your computer? I can't find a clear answer and don't wanna get screwed by those anti-piracy bills that're trying to be passed.
 
Yes you paid for it, therefore it is yours. Plus you are not sharing it, and they aren't going to be passed lol
 
If you own the disk it's perfectly legal to backup your disks.

I have a Disk Doctor MD... it's got to be 8-10 years old now and it works wonders. This is the best I could find for what mine looks like.
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Innovations-Skipdoctor-Repair-Kit/dp/B00005B9W6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1335908690&sr=8-3[/ame]

A lot of after market resale places won't take disks that have been doctored though so keep that in mind.

There are also a lot of places that should be able to resurface your disk for a price. Normally $1 per disk so if it were me I would look at a disk doctor of sorts. Toothpaste and other "home remedies" are just a good way to mess up your disks.

As for the little plastic protectors they are good and bad, just depends on what kind of shape you keep them in. One good crease in it and the disk won't read right with it on. If you get dust or dirt in them then you can kiss that disk goodbye.

Hope that helps you out :)
 

Latest posts

Back
Top