Stream FPS issues

Punch2Face

Thread Junky
Joined
May 26, 2007
Messages
782
I figured I'd post in here to see if anyone could give me a hand. I tried to livestream BF3 last night, and I ran into a little bit of a problem. So I'll give some pre-info. I run BF3 in fullscreen mode on 1920x1200 resolution with Ultra settings (except for AA, I turn that off just because I don't notice a big enough graphics difference to justify the 10-15 drop in FPS it gives me), and I average around 35-45 fps depending on the map and what kinds of effects are nearby.

I downloaded Xsplit and tried to set up a stream to own3d.tv. I had read before and verified that you must run the game in windowed mode in order for it to capture what it on your screen. No big deal right? Well, turns out it's a very big deal. I switch to windowed mode and my FPS drops to anywhere between 3-10 FPS, and there is a 2-3 second delay on every action I do (such as shoot, run, turn, etc.). My first thought was "Well maybe the graphic settings are just a little bit too much". Changed everything to low (except for my resolution, I kept that the same), still get 3-10 FPS along with the delay.

I'm pretty sure it's not a computer-power issue saying that on fullscreen and ultra settings it gets great FPS. The instant I set my game back to fullscreen, it fixes itself even if Xsplit is still running in the background. Also, lowering the settings made no difference whatsoever in the FPS while in windowed mode.

I tried googling this and there were a fair amount of people that were complaining about this same issue (even on games like League of Legends, which is about as graphically demanding as minesweeper), people would post responses that made them look smart, and then no resolutions were ever given, the threads just died.

Has anyone else ever run into this issue and found a way to fix it? I would greatly appreciate if someone has and they could share the love with a resolution ;)

Thanks!
 
Bandwidth issue could also be the problem. Could also be faulty programming. Did you have anything else running aside from BF3 and Xsplit? Are you running dual monitor? Windowed mode is most likely the issue, every time I have tried to run BF3 in windowed mode it fails. Could simply be that BF3 and windowed mode do not like each other much. There can be a lot of failure points here.
 
I don't think it's bandwidth necessarily, I average about 6Mbps upload speeds. The programs I had running were Chrome, ventrilo, Xsplit and BF3. Yes I run dual monitors. I'm kinda with you on the thing that it's just windowed mode.
 
I also tried lowering the resolution I was streaming at and that didn't make a difference, either.
 
Are you using crossfire? I heard that playing games in windowed mode disables crossfire and only uses one card. That could be it.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top