Upgrading my PC

Kaos1095

Rookie
Joined
May 15, 2010
Messages
75
Hello, last night, I went out to downtown to some PC store to, well, at first, I wanted to buy an AMD PHenom II X6 1055T but they didn't have it, instead they showed me an AMD FX 6100...

Anyway, I'm considering my options and the price, but with I have been seeing, my PC's System would end up being:

-Motherboard ASUS M5A87 - Offered to me that same day to run the processor.
-AMD FX 6100
-4 GB RAM DDR3
-Nvidia GeForce GTS 450 1GB DDR5
-PSU Purepower Series 450W

Got the Slight feeling I should upgrade the PSU...

But, putting aside the Graphics Card, what would I need to keep my PC STABLE?
 
Still waiting for an answer... I really could use some advice before I buy anything.
 
Your psu is of concern 450w with a 6 core cpu its going to tax the hell out of it. A better vid card will end up draining even more power so to keep the comp stable you will deff want to upgrade the psu. If you get the mobo and FX6100 then I would highly suggest you get the psu also. The vid card and ram you can upgrade later other components are more important at this point. Hope that helps out.
 
I would definitely want to upgrade that psu.
Check out this psu from OCZ. 750W 80 plus Bronze. Can't go wrong with that.

If you are on a tight budget, you do not need to upgrade your ram. Graphics card wise, I would be able to help you out if you give me a price range, what kinda games you play, and at what resolution. Cheers
 
I AM on a tight budget, I've only wanted to upgrade the processor but it brought a lot more, i'd rather keep the gfx card I currently have... I've already planned to get a 600W PSU, would that be alright?

Everything, including the new PSU, is costing me around... 3100 pesos (about 680 dollars).

Yes, 3100 is A LAWT D:
 
600w will handle well but I tend to go for 700-750w personally. You can get that taken care of now and wait on the Mobo/cpu bottom line is your going to have to get the mobo and cpu at the same time.
 
450 watts will run an FX-6100 and a GTS450 fine, if it's a good unit. But I haven't heard of Purepower before, so I couldn't tell you.

Also, just because a new GPU is more powerful doesn't necessarily make it pull more watts, especially if it's a newer generation. The 6870 pulls about the same as a 450, but it's significantly faster. If that PSU is a good unit, it'll be plenty of power for any mid-range card.
 
I AM on a tight budget, I've only wanted to upgrade the processor but it brought a lot more, i'd rather keep the gfx card I currently have... I've already planned to get a 600W PSU, would that be alright?

Everything, including the new PSU, is costing me around... 3100 pesos (about 680 dollars).

Yes, 3100 is A LAWT D:

What are you buying exactly thats ending up costing you so much? I only spent $700 building my computer, everything from a Haf x, corsair 850 psu, 8 gb rams, a 2500k, basically everything you'd need on a computer except a graphics card. Had a 295 laying around so thats what I use.
 
Last edited:
Is that a thermaltake power supply? It may be able to handle it.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2371/8

Need clarification on the full name and model number of the psu.

As apr said, you do not need a 750w psu as your system does not draw close to that. However, unless your unit now is a quality one that can deliver what it says, then you will have to upgrade. Can you confirm the exact make and model of the psu?
 
I am going to assume it is the extreme rock power sm 600w. This appears to be a decent unit, though not very efficient (which isn't a huge deal). It should be able to handle a GTS 450 and a decent cpu no problem. How old is it though? And are you able to take the cover off your case to confirm via the psu sticker?
 
Last edited:
I am going to assume it is the extreme rock power sm 600w. This appears to be a decent unit, though not very efficient (which isn't a huge deal). It should be able to handle a GTS 450 and a decent cpu no problem. How old is it though? And are you able to take the cover off your case to confirm via the psu sticker?

Ehm... I don't have it, so... I dunno how old it is... I said I'm going to get it, though getting anything better... I don't think I can afford it.
 
Well if it were older and isn't running at a proper efficiency that would be able to support what you are running it could ruin some of your hardware. So saving some more now could save you more later.
 
Okay...I was confused. I was originally asking about your current power supply. You said it is a 450W purepower series. I then asked if it was a Thermaltake. If it is the one I linked to in my original post, you should be fine with that as it is a decent unit, though not amazing. When you said it was a Sentey 600W, I thought you were correcting your original post and saying that is what you currently have. Anyways, that would be a decent unit to get and would run what you want. Is that your only option really? Anything from Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, XFX, etc?
 
Okay...I was confused. I was originally asking about your current power supply. You said it is a 450W purepower series. I then asked if it was a Thermaltake. If it is the one I linked to in my original post, you should be fine with that as it is a decent unit, though not amazing. When you said it was a Sentey 600W, I thought you were correcting your original post and saying that is what you currently have. Anyways, that would be a decent unit to get and would run what you want. Is that your only option really? Anything from Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, XFX, etc?

oh, yes, it's a thermaltake. Thought you were talking about the 600w one >_<. And I'm guessing it is the only option I have, I mean... Around here, it's hard to get anything... and i Hate buying online.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top