Help with building a new system

Most of the motherboards all come with at least 2 sata 6 ports unless you go for the very lowest quality mobo. While Corsair ram is good, they are not the end all be all. G.Skill is good stuff, but the samsung stuff I recommended is as good as you can get for the price. Asus is decent, but they are not the best bang for your buck usually. And finally, a hdd cannot take advantage of sata 6, so getting an hdd that is touted as sata 6 compatible really means nothing. SSDs are another story.
 
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116502 Processor, best one. For 320. People say the 2600k, but that is an older version. This is an Ivy Bridge processor which is newer and supports newer RAM.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131821 This motherboard is for 240 and is amazing. It has it's own thermal armor system involving it's own controlled airflow. (The board itself has fans!) The bios is easy to use and lets you use your mouse too! Plus if you screw up with installing windows or if the bios gets corrupted, if you download the right bios on a usb flash drive, you just plug it into the right slot, turn the computer off then press the "bios flashback button" and boom you got a new bios replacing it. This is also a good way to update it whenever one for the bios comes out. Overclocking is also VERY simple.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231489 16 gigs of RAM for 110, 2 sticks, 8 GB each. Heard the brand is good.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233223 Your SSD for 80 after the rebate, originally at 120.
 
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2580683&CatId=6982 Here's the same motherboard bundled with a better version of the processor I linked which will save you 20 bucks then buying the two on Newegg.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1430203&CatId=5300 Same SSD but cheaper.

Get the RAM from Newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231489

That saves you nothing, all it did was increase the price and break stormys budget
 
/Facepalm why post stuff that isn't relevant a 300 $ CPU with a 240 mobo and 110$ of RAM? You still need room for a card and a HDD and an SSD
 
While the cpu is good, it is really a tossup between ivy and sandy. However, given the fact you have posted non K ivy cpus which cannot overclock, the 2600k will surpass those when overclocked mildly.

While the mobo is nice, doesn't really grant you much extra over a mid range. I though the older versions also came with a 5 year warranty where as this one according to newegg still only has a 3 year one. Thermal armor isn't really needed as components stay plenty cool as it is.

The ram is simply overkill. I would get two sets of 2x4gb over one of those since being able to upgrade to 32gb is absolutely useless for the average person. Heck, upgrading to 16gb from 8gb is useless as well. Cas 10 is also a little weak vs a cheaper cas 9 2x4gb set.

And the ssd isn't one of the better ones. It is a lower end model from Corsair. Beyond that, I would definitely go with 120/128gb version given the deals for less than $1/gb recently on some quality models.
 
/Facepalm why post stuff that isn't relevant a 300 $ CPU with a 240 mobo and 110$ of RAM? You still need room for a card and a HDD and an SSD

I linked an SSD. If it's too much for him he can probably find a slower set of RAM or a cheaper processor. He just asked for suggestions and that's what I gave him. No need to criticize people on a tech support thread.
 
Thanks a lot for the help guys.

Last week I went ahead and bought a 120GB SSD made by ADATA that should come out to $100 after rebate.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211569




I have been pondering the biggest purchases of the processor and mobo. I think I am going to get the: "i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo)"

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116504&Tpk=3570k

Cheaper here after rebate (thanks Muffs): http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2373004&sku=I69-3570K

I was just wondering what the next step up is from that processor. Just from reading this thread I know I want to overclock and therefore need the ####K suffix, correct?



As far as the motherboards go, what should I be looking for and what do you all recommend? I think I will only need 1 PCIE slot (more is not a bad thing) and I would like something that could take advantage of the SSD, also USB 2.0 or 3.0.

As for RAM I am looking for 16GB minimum but know little about what kind to get (is the type or RAM reliant on the mobo I choose?

Any and all good deals that save me money are welcome!!! On that note I would like to finalize the majority of my purchases today since a number of sales seem to be expiring because of the end of the month/Memorial day.


Basically I need to know:

What the next upgrade would be from the ""i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo)"

Recommendations for motherboard (under $200)

Recommendation for RAM (under or around $100)

Good deals!!!
 
CPU: The next step-up from the 3570K is the i7-3770K (<-- link, damn this font! And as you said, yarr, the 'K' is the most important part). I wouldn't recommend stepping up though since it's basically the same exact chipset/dye but at a lower clock rate, which--obviously--you can clock up to yourself since, IMHO, the whole point of getting a K-series Intel IS to overclock and the 3570K purportedly overclocks better than the 3770K variant.

SSD: I've never heard of that particular SSD (or brand) being very good in the memory or storage drive departments. If I was going to be brutally honest, I would cancel that order and grab a deal like the Crucial M4 128GB which is on sale for nearly the exact same price BEFORE any rebates and gives you a little more wiggle room in terms of space and is definitely on a more reliable design and from a more reputable SSD/memory manufacturer.
Crucial M4 128GB

Motherboard: Tough call. I honestly want to say that a Z68 could be useful for you, but if you're not video editing, the only other major feature that the Z68 totes is SSD caching and I believe that doesn't work on SSD partitions over 60-64GB in size--and the practicality of SRT doesn't apply to all its users anyway.... A lot of reports suggest that a motherboard with the Intel P67 chipset will serve you well, as they are supposed to overclock noticeably better than the Z68 chipset (someone slap me if I'm wrong here). Lemme throw a couple options your way to help you decide.
ASRock P67 Extreme4 (totes two PCI-E 3.0 slots and other goodies, plus better overclocking capabilities)
ASRock Z68 Extreme4

RAM:
I don't know why you need 16GB over 8, but I'm ordering eight gigs of this RAM when it comes time to upgrade and all of the eGO tech-pros, benchmarks and reviews show its solidity in terms of performance/price. You could just order four sets of these 4GB sticks and still save yourself a lot of cash and add mucho performance with its slick timings and great voltage. Try to grab the 2x4GB version if it's ever in stock.
SAMSUNG 4GB DDR3 1600

TL;DR footnotes:
*i5-3570k is a great choice, the next step-up is unnecessary and its stock clock rates can easily be achieved (and more easily surpassed) with the 3570K. Make SURE the suffix is 'K'

*You're probably going to be looking at a Z68 or P67. Z68 has Smart Response Technology / SSD caching and Virtue (video editing), two benefits that may not be all that beneficial to you. You can save money/overclock better using a P67. Both chipsets will utilize USB 2.0 or 3.0 (FYI, these two are backwards and forwards compatible with one another anyway, but a 3.0 peripheral/external will run at 2.0 speeds in a 2.0 port and 2.0 will not run at greater than 2.0 speeds even in a 3.0 jack). Most modern motherboards come with more than enough PCI slots and the likes to sate most gamers, unless you're a hardcore enthusiast looking at matching more than two GPUs with all of them being really beefy

*Motherboards have pins that will only accept certain types of RAM and have a 'memory standard' (that doesn't really necessarily mean you can't go outside of the standard. A motherboard with Memory Standard DDR3 1866 will work just as well with quality sticks of 1600 / 1333, etc.). Memory also has a set number of channels, but these concern the CPU (which I still wouldn't worry about letting that be the deciding factor for your memory purchase, say if your CPU accepts triple/quad channel, as it won't be noticeable in most real-time applications and most certainly not in gaming

*Don't bother with 16GB RAM -- stick to eight gigs for gaming (as that's all that will be recognized by 64-bit Win7), if you don't need to run any majorly memory-intensive applications like media editing, programming, F@H etc. If you do, disregard this note
 
Last edited:
If he's getting the 3570k, why not go with Z77?

As far as RAM goes, Samsung basically has the best on the market now. If they aren't in stock, get Corsair or G.Skill. Just save yourself the hassle and get the DDR3 1600. The gains above that are negligible for most gamers. Then as long as you pick a half-decent mobo, it'll support 1600.

If you're getting an i5-3570k or an i7-3770k, it will be double-channel which means you only want to use 2 or 4 sticks.

To reiterate, what the hell are you going to use 16GB for? I think BF3 is the singular game that comes close to touching 8GB in W7, and I suspect it has a memory leak problem.
 
If he's getting the 3570k, why not go with Z77

Ah, that's actually a really good point... Something like this Z77 should be right up his alley, I think? He's looking for USB 3.0 and dual PCI-E 3.0 (and the added overclockability) are pretty nice on this one, IMO, and it's >$200.
 
Last edited:
I linked an SSD. If it's too much for him he can probably find a slower set of RAM or a cheaper processor. He just asked for suggestions and that's what I gave him. No need to criticize people on a tech support thread.

I was just saying that his price range couldn't fit anything that you were posting
 
Thanks a lot for the input. As for the 16GB of RAM, when Arma 3 comes out that game will be putting a lot of systems to test from what I've heard. It looks like I'll be sticking with the i5 3570k and Samsung RAM.

Now I guess I'm down to these two mobos:

P67: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157265
Z77: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157293

***After looking at the two I'm thinking they're almost identical with the Z77 having more USB 3.0 slots. Are both good for overclocking?
 
Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the input. As for the 16GB of RAM, when Arma 3 comes out that game will be putting a lot of systems to test from what I've heard. It looks like I'll be sticking with the i5 3570k and Samsung RAM.

Now I guess I'm down to these two mobos:

P67: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157265
Z77: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157293

***After looking at the two I'm thinking they're almost identical with the Z77 having more USB 3.0 slots. Are both good for overclocking?

Either should be just fine for OC'ing, but like huck and APR mentioned, the Z77 has better features and more bang for your particular buck IMO.
 
I promise you, it doesn't matter how much Arma 3 stresses your rig, it will not require 16GB of RAM. Flat out. If it did, they'd be committing financial suicide. They aren't that stupid. It might need more than 4GB, and it might even start pushing 8, but 16GB is the realm of workstations not personal use or gaming.
 
I just bought the processor from NCIX.com using the price match feature. The best deal I could find was from MicroCenter:

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0388577

Coincidentally, they have a great deal when you buy the processor and mobo we have been discussing. I would have bought from them but the processor is in-store pickup only and the mobo is out of stock at the store closest to me. If NCIX doesn't follow through I may just go with MicroCenter's deal even if I have to drive further.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0387554

Now I need to find some RAM and maybe a new PSU if the price is right.
 
Thanks again for all the help guys.

Without the help of this forum and our members I would have spent a lot more money on less-awesome stuff. I followed the advice of almost all of you from the tech recommendations to the shopping advice. During the process I became a little more knowledgable with computer stuff and maaged to buid a powerful system that will last me for years. I also made out like a bandit at Micro Center by buying the i5 3570 for $189 and getting the ASRock (a great mobo) for just $90 when purchased with said processor. I also ended up getting 16gb of GSkill Ripjaw RAM, an ADATA 120gb SSD, a 2TB Seagate HDD, and a Zalman Z11 case. I overspent a little but my new system rocks!!!

My system now ranks a 7.3/7.9 on the windows experience index, boots up in around 10 seconds, looks awesome. My next (and hopefully final purchase is a mid range video card (currently using a GTS 450)

You have all shown what Edge-gamers is all about and I just wanted to let you all know that your extra time and effort has helped me out in numerous ways.


0610020413.jpg


0610020414.jpg


0610020416.jpg
 

Latest posts

Back
Top