PC upgrade

Well I got home today and the $40 rebate on the msi gtx460 was gone. The evga superclocked gtx460 is $11 more than the evga regualr gtx460. Would it make a difference in performance in-game or not?

There will be a difference, but it's marginal at best compared to what you can do yourself. That differential overclock can easily be achieved and surpassed if you pick up the regular GTX 460.

I also believe Superclocked (and most brand's OC'd GPUs) cards cannot be tinkered with yourself due to the cores/chips being manually locked or etched out, so you'd be stuck with never being able to overclock it yourself if you ever need to. However, you'd be paying $11 more for that. D: Not really worth it, IMO.

The MSI version of the GTX 460 is still cheaper than either EVGA option, though, and has better cooling to boot. Maybe consider picking it up anyway?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127646
 
Last edited:
Hmmm, I thought it ended today.

Well, tigerdirect still has the rebate up and says it ends today. Free shipping, but $10 more. Your call.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1781467&CatId=3669

Deals are likely to pop up again at some point if you want to wait. I do like the evga ones just because of their superior customer service. Definitely go with whichever is cheaper is you go that route since you can easily overclock both of them higher.

EDIT:

Actually, newegg still has the rebate if I search for it through google because I figure it ended today as well:

http://images10.newegg.com/uploadfilesfornewegg/rebate/SH/MSI3MIRsMay17May3112cx16.pdf

While it is no longer on the actual page, according to the form, it goes through today, so if you want to order, you probably need to do it asap (aka tonight).

You can still get to it through the msi gtx 560 page on newegg, so it should still be valid:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127592
 
Last edited:
I didn't have time to order anything on Thursday but I ordered the evga gtx460 and the psu yesterday.
 
Ok so I just got the gtx460 and the psu. I am having trouble with connecting the I/O front pannel because it is not labled on my mobo. I would appreciate if someone could tell me where to hook up the Power, reset, hdd led, and the power led. Also just to make sure, I do not plug the fans onto the mobo in any way just to the psu?


EDIT: Figured that out. Now when I power on the PC my screen is blank. The CPU and GPU fans are spining. The light that I have on my mouse is not lit up, nad neither is the power/hdd light.
 
Last edited:
Make sure both power connectors are secure as well as the 460 itself in the motherboard.

Before that though, check to see if you need to change the input of the monitor. I have had that problem before.
 
Still nothing. The gpu has 2x6 pin so I had to use on of the converters that came with the card from 2x3 pin b/c the psu had only one 6 pin other than the cpu one. I swap to the 5450 to see if its the gpu.
 
Its an 8 pin that splits into 2 4 pins. Also, there is no way to plug in the 5450 b/c it doesnt fit. When I hooked up the case fans they work as well.

EDIT: The lights on the mouse light up for a split second when I try to power on.
 
Last edited:
If your front panel lights aren't on, then you might not have those plugged in correctly. I couldn't find it on that site you linked to, but there ought to be directions in a user manual. Though, this is an OEM....

I would plug the fan from the CPU heatsink into the slot labeled "CPU_FAN". That way it'll ramp up speed automatically when it needs it, and run slower during idle. You don't want a stock fan running at full speed 24/7.

If the light on your mouse isn't lighting up, I'd double check that your mobo 24-pin plug is in all the way. Also, that your HDD is plugged in correctly. If the mouse is plugged into the front I/O try using the back I/O panel. It could just be that your front panel is not working.

Like huck, I don't see how your 5450 won't fit.

Also, this shouldn't make a difference, but you might try using the other half of the connector for your CPU.

Double-check all the connections on your GPU as well.
 
The 5450 does not fit b/c I had it in a small tower case. Now I am using a mid-tower and the card does not reach the mobo. The CPU heatsink is already plugged into the CPU_FAN slot. Also, the hdd should be plugged into the SATA 1 slot, correct? The dvd drive doesnt work either. All connections look good to me.
 
Last edited:
Well the good news bout SATA hard drives is that they can technically be plugged into any of those slots. However, if you have more than 1 hard drive then the motherboard will automatically give the hard drives default letters (C:, D:, etc). So therefore, if you only have 1 SATA drive, then yes its just best to put it into the SATA 1 slot. Sometimes, motherboard manufacturers dont even print that info onto the slots. In that case, best rule on common sense here is to plug it into the top slot (or nearest to the drive if the SATA slots are on the bottom of the motherboard, which ive seen once).
 
Have you tested without video card? Your motherboard appears to have an integrated gpu, so running with no discrete card should tell you if the 460 is the problem.
 
I did. It works fine with the onboard graphics. I will go down to a store and pick up a 650W to see if it could be a PSU problem. If not, there is always an option of the mobo not handling the card well. What makes me think it could be the psu is everything else starts to work when i unplug the card. Im on my PC right now with the onboard graphics and it works fine other than the obnoxious 800x600 on a 27 inch monitor.
 
So I ended up getting the Corsair GS 700W. It works well now. The only weird thing is ech time I start my PC it gives my an error before the Windows logo. It tells me to press F2 and it works fine after that. I am not sure but I think it could be because it used to be an HP build and I changed the GPU in it. I hope thats the reason....
 
Not sure why the 430 was giving you problems. I am glad you are able to be up and running now.

As for the new problem, is there an error that is associate with the press f2?
 
It says the system fan has failed. But the fan is working. Im not exactly sure why I get that error.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top