The IT Showcase Thread

Adam

Man, I'm pretty.
=(eGO)=
Joined
Jul 26, 2008
Messages
7,460
So, not sure if something like this has been done. But basically wanted to do something like, those of us in IT or do a lot of IT-esque work and have little projects we'd like to show off.

I'll start, I started working at a computer shop where I live and have been doing a few things.

tumblr_m9xvigGxW51rosh3uo1_500.jpg

Custom 120mm Fan. Keepin' my face cool.

tumblr_m9y3b9fiQi1rosh3uo1_500.jpg

This is a RAID rack we pulled from an old server that I use to dban (Darik's Boot and Nuke) multiple drives. Has an 80mm fan that moves a lot of air behind it.

tumblr_ma01kzf4kO1rosh3uo1_500.jpg

In conjunction with the last picture, I needed more molex connectors, so we made a custom 6 connector cable.
 
This pic was of our server room when I was first hired about 5.5 years ago... I was just a helpdesk guy at the time and was in no way responsible for maintaining our server and network infrastructure. Things have changed dramatically since then.. updated pics to follow tomorrow...

d0367362.jpg
 
@Mister Adam & @Bad Religion, your pics make me so desire to work in the help desk/IT area. Unfortunately, I got a lil bit of training back in 03 & have been studying the A+ book for the last few months, but seems that companies around here want experience. You guys are so freaking lucky! Also unfortunate is the fact that I seem to have a harder time learning or taking in material than most people.
 
@Mister Adam & @Bad Religion, your pics make me so desire to work in the help desk/IT area. Unfortunately, I got a lil bit of training back in 03 & have been studying the A+ book for the last few months, but seems that companies around here want experience. You guys are so freaking lucky! Also unfortunate is the fact that I seem to have a harder time learning or taking in material than most people.

Get your foot in the door somewhere doing help desk. That's generally where most people start. It might not pay well or be in any way glamorous but if you want to get in to IT that's the place to start.
 
Ok as I promised, here are a few modern day pictures of our server room. Compared to the picture above from 5 years ago things are much different.

Due to server virtualization we have gone from nearly 20 physical servers down to 3 primary VMware hosts that run about 35 virtual servers collectively and 1 VMware host dedicated to running our backups and low priority virtual machines. Our switch rack has been overhauled as well... no more spaghetti cabling mess.. the core switch isnt as pretty as it could be, but its a darn sight better than our old setup!

da3d84d9.jpg



ab85c78e.jpg
 
Ya that 2nd pic looks way better than that "spaghetti mess" of the 1st pic. Also @mobomelter, ive been trying to find a company that will take me in as an entry level guy & help teach me the ropes, but have yet to find any kinda company like that.
 
This pic was of our server room when I was first hired about 5.5 years ago... I was just a helpdesk guy at the time and was in no way responsible for maintaining our server and network infrastructure. Things have changed dramatically since then.. updated pics to follow tomorrow...

d0367362.jpg

Seriously puked a little when I saw the cables in that pic. Please tell me it looks nice now that you are in control of it.

EDIT: Okay never mind. Didn't see the updated pics. Looks nice now.
 
@Bad Religion, Got a couple of SANs in there, nice. Where do you work? Lots of fun toys in those racks.

@pillar, start somewhere like a shop, get some experience and then get your foot in the door somewhere fancy doing tech work or help desk stuff and the possibilities just open up from there.

I'm working in a computer shop right now, but I'm looking to move up to corporate IT as soon as I can.

So, we recycle old stuff here and we had a relic come through the door yesterday.
tumblr_malqdnSEj81rosh3uo1_500.jpg


I have about three of those drive cages, because we pull them out of those servers and replace them with hot swap bays, so we keep them around and use them. I mounted one of them today. Got a second one ready to go up once I get the SATA cards added to my test rig.
tumblr_mam23r4MtE1rosh3uo1_500.jpg
 

Latest posts

Back
Top