Sharking

party_cat

Poster
Joined
Sep 23, 2013
Messages
170
Hopefully everyone knows the difference between scamming and sharking so there is no confusion when discussing this topic. Anyway, I recently saw (within the past two weeks) two separate AMAs dealing with tf2 sharkers that explained how and why they shark. Neither of these people cared or had any remorse. One even claimed that "the internet has no morals." They also made tons of money off of it, ~$3000 per year.

So my question to you all is: Do you feel that sharking is wrong? Explain why or why not.

My answer: I understand both points of view. However, I think sharking is wrong. Trading is about profiting, but trading a few weapons to get an unusual is a bit extreme especially when the other person has no ideas about values. Yes, that person can google prices, but not every new person knows to do this. I would have been completely lost when I first started playing tf2 if I didn't have my boyfriend helping me out with everything. Not everyone has that luxury and there are a ton of young, young players. There has been many times where I could have sharked new players, but I told them the value of their items.

P.S. I'll provide the links if you guys really want them, but I sensed some backlash towards AMAs so I'll leave them out for now. The point of this post is to talk about the topic not the actual AMA.

As per request here is the latest one: http://www.reddit.com/r/tf2/comments/1vkahc/i_am_a_successful_tf2_sharker_who_has_made_nearly/
 
Last edited:
good post, this is partially why i avoid the tf2 economy. If i have doubles of anything I'd usually just give it away.
 
If I ever see anyone who finds a rare item, I make sure to tell them of the items value. I did kinda get a salvaged crate for real cheap, but that's because I didn't have the items to pay completely at the time. I payed him in full over the next few months. If anything, it's a good thing, because he's had a bit of time to learn the value of his metal. However, sharking for profit is just kinda lame.
 
If I ever see anyone who finds a rare item, I make sure to tell them of the items value. I did kinda get a salvaged crate for real cheap, but that's because I didn't have the items to pay completely at the time. I payed him in full over the next few months. If anything, it's a good thing, because he's had a bit of time to learn the value of his metal. However, sharking for profit is just kinda lame.

Nice, I love hearing stories like yours. Shows that there can still be trust within the trading community.
 
As a very active trader who's more concerned about my collection over profit, I generally try to inform the person I'm trading the value and when selling will not go under that market value(provided the price isn't total bs) and when buying try to get market value or under.

I don't actively go out and shark/scam but have been sharked a few times when I was very new and not a huge trader and now that I know the value of items I've noticed a lot of people trying to shark (mainly from outpost, seriously don't ever use outpost unless you know the value of items and aren't afraid to deal with idiots/scammer/sharks) when it comes to money people are going to do what ever they may want to try and make a profit.

I would be interested in reading the AMA if you could link to it please.
 
Do any of you who buy/sell use the Steam Market or do you find it more beneficial to go to trading forums/groups and deal directly with other players?

I sold a few things I had MANY copies of on the Market and got enough money to buy a few discount games.

/justcurious
 
Do any of you who buy/sell use the Steam Market or do you find it more beneficial to go to trading forums/groups and deal directly with other players?

I sold a few things I had MANY copies of on the Market and got enough money to buy a few discount games.

/justcurious

If you're interested in collecting items or making a profit, I would say go through the various trading websites, but using the market can be quicker and used for either buying game or items for games though because valve takes a cut of what you sell you do lose some profit.
 
Market is usually quicker to get actual Steam cash.

But profit-wise, you're gonna wanna deal with players.

Sharking is bad. I can't say I haven't been tempted to do it, but I can say I do tell people the value of their stuff.
 
I thought this thread was about neon annihilator pyros under water x.x

Right, Dark? :P
 
Glad that you brought this up, Party Cat. It is for reasons like these that I never trade from people I do not know. Sharking is reprehensible- it is like trading the ignorant broken glass for gold. There is nothing intelligent or cunning about scamming people... all it takes is the willingness to exploit others, and the above threads showcase the moral decrepitude of many traders.

The Golden Rule still applies, even in the age of the internet- treat others the way you want to be treated. :)
 
I personally have never sharked someone, usually tell them the price on tf.backback before any trading actually occurs. But I can say that people who do shark are just taking advantage of others shortcomings or laziness, just how the world works. Working in the finance world I see it everyday, maybe I'm just numb to the whole situation.
 
I find it very depressing that people do such things. Man, I'm not cut out for this messed up world.
 
Back
Top