Newsletter April 2015 Newsletter

wewo

Poster Extraordinaire
Joined
Jan 12, 2009
Messages
3,433
View attachment 8440

wewo?s quote of the month:

I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen.

Ernest Hemingway (courtesy of www.brainyquote.com).

More and more I find that many people speak when they should be listening. What Hemingway is saying is that you do not learn when you speak, but if you listen to someone else you have the opportunity to learn. Of course, you must listen, not just hear. So shut up and learn something already!;) We have some interesting articles for you this month, and if you listen, you may learn a thing or two.

This month, all articles were edited by whoflungpoo and the art was prepared by Mobilize, with Ice preparing the art for the PSC article. Thank you for reading.


View attachment 8441
[link="http://www.edge-gamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282425#post2736697"]Acefire fires up events in the MC Division[/link]


View attachment 8442
[link="http://www.edge-gamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282425#post2736707"]Some new games that may pique your interest[/link]



View attachment 8448
[link="http://www.edge-gamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282425#post2736711"]PSC is liberated[/link]



View attachment 8444
[link="http://www.edge-gamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282425#post2736716"]DO NOT drink and drive[/link]


View attachment 8445
[link="http://www.edge-gamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282425#post2736723"]DOD:S, going strong[/link]


View attachment 8446
[link="http://www.edge-gamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282425#post2736726"]More zombies[/link]
 
Last edited:
View attachment 8450

by whoflungpoo

For this month's newsletter, I have the honor of interviewing one of EdgeGamers' newest, and most deserving, leadership members. His name is Acefire and he is the Event Coordinator Advisor for the Minecraft division. Maybe I'm a little biased when I pick who I want to interview: I played CoD4 with Acefire back in the day, but that's how poo rolls (yeah I said that). Now, without further ado, let's get right into it.


whoflungpoo: Thanks for doing this interview, Acefire. Let's start off with your reaction to becoming a leadership member. Did you expect it?

Acefire: I was thrilled to be able to accept the honor of becoming Minecraft's EC Advisor. As far as expecting it, kinda. When I first joined eGO back in 2010 I wanted to be an EC and of course the 13 year old in me said I wanted to be an Advisor too. When Dr. H@ckf3$t stepped down I figured it was between me and my senior EC, CrossCheck, and we both had worked hard but it was a toss up and MC Leadership picked me and this now they're stuck with me:p

whoflungpoo: Next question: What is your role in the Minecraft division as an Advisor?

Acefire: My role? Don't screw up? Isn't that everyone's role? Nah I kid. As far as my responsibilities go, I'm tasked with maintaining the events that we have, updating them, cleaning old ones out and introducing new ones. I have an amazing EC Team who keep each other in check so I don't have to worry about them so much. They're hard workers so I always get new event ideas from my team. Oh! I'm also supposed to not blow up the event server either. I'll knock on some wood, as I haven't yet.

whoflungpoo: Call of Duty is a VERY different game from Minecraft. What caused you to take interest in Minecraft and overall the Minecraft division?

Acefire: The ironic part about that was that I was never really interested in Minecraft when I was in CoD. I got a free copy of MC from a friend from another community that I played with in my free time. They had their own server and I played with them for a while before their community shut down. As far as the MC Division goes I'll back track to when I first joined. Remember earlier when I said I wanted to be an EC? Well, I had suggested many event ideas for CoD and even set up a paintball match between eGO and the other community I hung out with. It was a blast. With Minecraft though, there is more flexibility since you CREATE your own events limited only by my imagination. As an eG I had probably three or four event ideas. I switched from CoD to MC back in 2012 and within a few months I got EC.

w: I noticed you have the 2014 Minecraft Divisional Member of the Year Award. Congrats! Other than to have a sexy award next to your name, what does that award mean to you?

A: That award shows me my work, and my efforts for the past five years. Now I won't say I have been here every day for the past five years but I have committed myself to bettering eGO whenever I've been here. Be it filling dying CoD servers, making events for MC, helping out as an AT for a small amount of time, helping rebuild the MC EC Team, making APPS. I feel that all those times and moments that I've stepped up is in that MOTY Award. Everything I've done for eGO is what the award represents to me.

w: I know a lot of people have already heard about the new APPS program you introduced in the Minecraft division, but can you enlighten us with what it does and who is in it?

A: APPS if you didn't already know is a small team that the MC EC Team selects from MC Members. Currently we have three members (formerly five members), which consists of an eG, and 2 e's: VoxNeutron, Ktenspike909, and Minnie. Summer and Zmanplays moved up from APPS members to being ECs for me. They do a LOT of different things for the MC EC Team. They help test regions, test plugins with ECs, test new event ideas, and help us build and update old events. If an EC is in need of an assistant, APPS is their go to. Hopefully we can see some new faces in it soon.

w: Well, good luck to you and everyone involved in the program! Last serious question here: How is the events program going in your division? Also, what are some of the events that you and your EC's host in the Minecraft division?

A: Events have turned up so much. We went from about 8 or so to almost 20 people a night. The events have had a boom of player participation. We have four event nights that we host Friday to Monday: Mastermind, a mind gaming about guessing a combination on Friday, Saturday Night Fight Club, PvP Minigames/Plugin events [Team Deathmatch, One in the Chamber, Hunger Games], then we have Guinea Pig Night which is our test night on Sundays, we test out new events with our members or a general choice night, my choice of course, and last but not least on Monday we have Race Night, cause everyone loves Mondays we put the most raging event time on Monday, races can be a first to the finish or first to complete three laps.

w: What do you like to do outside of playing video games? Any hobbies, activities, or interests you would like to share? Also, is there any personal information you would like to let the people in EdgeGamers know about?

A: Outside of eGO and the world as we know it here, I'm a vivid and active member of my Debate Team and my Marching Band. I enjoy watching anime and hanging out and cosplaying with my girlfriend. Personally you can ask me just about anything and I'll be truthful with you. Had problems as a child? Yeah girls avoided me like I had the plague till 5th grade (started in Kindergarten.) Have had relationship probs? First GF broke up with me because she was a vampire and 2nd cheated in front of me, poor innocent little Acefire.

w: You know what they say, there's other poo in the toilet, or something like that. Which leads me to my next question: Just like Mr_Nicoll has to ask his interviewees about Irn Bru, I have to ask this, who did fling the poo? And if they did fling it, at whom did they direct it towards?

A: It was all Legend, he flung the poo. At whom you may ask? Why none other than Hammer!

w: Well, thanks again for accepting to let me interview (bother) you, Acefire. Good luck to you and with your new program in the Minecraft division. Hope to see you more often on the servers and in Teamspeak 3.

A: Well than you for that tort-interview! Hope to see you around as well! Just let me know when y'all are filling Ava #2 and I'll for sure come in, if I'm not busy taking care of my EC Team or APPS!

[LINK="http://www.edge-gamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282425"]return to front page[/LINK]
 
Last edited:
View attachment 8451

by flamelauncher11

Hello EdgeGamers, and welcome to another edition of the monthly eGO Newsletter, written by gamers for gamers. This month, I take over the Clan Wide Interest section to share what's been happening in the gaming world.

First off, I'd like to talk about a few popular titles that recently hit the shelves, and those that are coming in the near future. Visceral Studios took the Battlefield series into their own hands and developed Battlefield: Hardline. The first beta for Hardline was released in June of 2014 and featured a few of the many available weapons, vehicles, and maps that the full version of the game includes. The game was originally announced for an October 2014 release date, but was delayed until just recently. On March 17th, 2015 the full version of the game was released and quickly became a success. Featuring an intense campaign with a gripping story-line and an action packed multiplayer mode that the Battlefield series is known for, Battlefield: Hardline was worth the wait. Meanwhile, DICE was busy working on the new Star Wars: Battlefront game, which is supposedly due for a mid-late 2015 release. More details will be revealed at an EA conference this month.

Next, the exciting release of Rockstar's "Heists" mode for GTA V Online finally arrived. Since the 2013 release of the game, fans have been expecting a slew of robbery missions that players can take part in online, much like the heists featured in the campaign mode. These missions are high risk, multi-part missions that offer a large reward if completed successfully. These missions cannot be completed solo, so players must team up in order to complete a heist. Unfortunately, GTA Online is still only available for the PlayStation and XBOX consoles; a PC release date is set for April 14th, but has been postponed a few times already. Pre-orders are currently available on Steam.

In other gaming news, EdgeGamers and EA have put up new 64-slot Battlefield: Hardline servers for players to hop in and enjoy. Don't have Hardline yet? No problem! EdgeGamers and G2A have partnered up to bring gamers like us great deals on games. You can find Battlefield: Hardline along with numerous other titles there for a fraction of the price you'd normally find on Steam or Origin. You can find the G2A link in Teamspeak 3 and on the EdgeGamers website. The first quarter of 2015 has already blown past, and the second quarter is quickly creeping up. Game developers are hard at work this year, prepping for E3 2015 this June. Be sure to keep an eye out on the front page as E3 approaches for any leadership-hosted events and Teamspeak 3 chats. Be safe this month, have fun and be foolish! This is flamelauncher11 signing off, peace!

[LINK="http://www.edge-gamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282425"]return to front page[/LINK]
 
Last edited:
View attachment 8452

by wewo

It is official, the PSC Division is opening its borders. While the PSC has been its own division for quite some time, it has only recently been redefined as an "open division". PSC Division Leader, Ice, had this to say “Today, everyone is welcome to join the PSC, regardless of rank. There will no longer be an application process to join the PSC. We may not represent a specific game or series of games, but we do represent eGO at the front line.”

PSC Processors and PSC Recruiting Coordinator Team members will be part of the PSC Division. Although anyone is welcome to join the PSC, they must be promoted to eG or eGO to become PSC Processors. Current PSC Processors and PSC RC Team members will have a transition period before switching Divisions. If you have any questions regarding the effect of the new PSC on you, please contact PSC leadership.

The NME Program remains a global EdgeGamers program, with the PSC retaining oversight. NME Representatives will not be required to switch to the PSC Division. PSC Leadership encourages more members from each division to step up and represent their own division through the NME Program. eGO members of any rank may sign up as a NME Representative for their division by contacting any member of PSC leadership.

[LINK="http://www.edge-gamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282425"]return to front page[/LINK]
 
Last edited:
View attachment 8453

by SigmaTaurus

Battlefield: Hardline has been released. Yay!

Everyone is talking about it, eager to play and share their experiences. And it's perfectly understandable. Battlefield: Hardline comes from a great franchise of first person shooters, the promo commercial looks like GTA: VI with more bad-assery. Of course, EdgeGamers will be an important promoter of the game with servers and tournaments with DICE and all the other sponsors. For more information on eGO's involvement in Battlefield: Hardline, please see this thread: http://www.edge-gamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281947

Haven't played it myself just yet, but I will, and no one cares mostly because I'm not that good at first person shooters, but it's all about the fun, right?

Nevertheless this month we'd like to talk about something far more important: 808-Stat3. We previously reported about 808-Stat3's serious auto accident in the May 2014 Newsletter here.

He was born in October 1978, and he is a 36 years old buddy from Hawaii who last year had a terrible accident involving a guy driving under influence.

His recovery has been a story of strength and hope, which we have talked about in the past, we've talked with "Stat" and this is what he told us:


"Hi Brother Sigma.

I appreciate your inquiry. It has been a rough road and I finally was able to return to the community today. The road to recovery has had it's ups and many many downs. I missed being here with my brothers in eGO and I will get back to you if you are still interested [I had contacted him a few months ago about an interview, but his recovery has been keeping him quite busy].

Aloha

Much love
808-Stat3"


He recently posted news about his recovery and his plans with EdgeGamers in this thread:

http://www.edge-gamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281193

If you have the opportunity, go there and show some love.

Also, I'd like to take this opportunity to reinforce and recommend everyone to be mindful not to drink and drive; I've had my portion of stories, thankfully not personal ones, about people getting hurt or even dying because of incidents caused by irresponsible driving. Cabs and friends are always there, use them if you are gonna party like its the end of the world.

"Its all fun and games until someone loses an eye". Can't remember who said that, though.

Stat3, my friend, everyone on the Newsletter team hopes for your quick and complete recovery, so you can return to your daily activities surfing 20m waves and solving crimes in Hawaii 5-0.

Because...he plays Chin Ho Kelly, right?

Right?! I bet 20 bucks he was the guy playing that character. Aw man, there goes my salary for a month.........

Read ya' later (while in extreme poverty until next payday)
SigmaTaurus

[LINK="http://www.edge-gamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282425"]return to front page[/LINK]
 
Last edited:
View attachment 8454

by Mr_Nicoll

Day of Defeat is slowly but surely expanding its horizons, especially with recent outreaches to other aspects of the gaming world and the community around us.

Recently there was a friendly realism match with the 2nd SAS, an exciting and new event, which combined victory, defeat, and a greater sense of camaraderie with making new friends and sharing advice and stories (not to mention the odd grenade and rifle bullet!). This event managed to spread the name of both EdgeGamers and the SAS, so it's pretty much a win-win situation, where we're getting ourselves known to the wider populous, expanding our outreach and sharing the goodness and greatness of DOD:S and EdgeGamers. After all, sharing is caring!

As we saw a few months back, the DOD:S division started a long and prosperous campaign to recruit new members and gain a wider foothold in the community. All looks to be going well, with new and exciting members pouring in on a weekly basis. The fun never stops. The influx in new members is simply astounding. They tell their friends, and their friends follow suit. It's just a chain reaction of awesomeness. Keep up the great work lads!

As the academic and tax-year continues, as with every division, its members have commitments to fulfill, may it be work, events, special occasions or school. A lot goes on in their lives, and finding that equal balance of work, play and rest is key to maintaining a healthy and acceptable lifestyle. This, unsurprisingly, will result in a lull in activity. However, as mentioned above with the recruiting of new members, this seems to be less of a problem! It is simply remarkable that in a game release nearly a decade ago, the DOD division has created a sustainable and self-regulating community with members who are respectful, playful and motivated to help out whenever.

Would it sound pretentious of me to suggest that we're one of the best? Or will I have instigated some sort of inter-divisional competition? Who knows, things are getting better, and horizons are broadening with new and exciting opportunities being presented all the time!

So why not give us a visit? Your horizons look a bit thin.... come here and we'll broaden them!

[LINK="http://www.edge-gamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282425"]return to front page[/LINK]
 
Last edited:
View attachment 8455

by SigmaTaurus

Ladies and Gentlemen, the end is upon us.

A strange disease is spreading across the globe at an alarming rate. People are dying by the millions,and with no hope for a cure, humanity is facing its worst fear: Extinction.

No one really knows where this plague came from, or who made it. Is it just Mother Nature saying "I'm kinda tired of your attitude towards me"? All we know is that this has become an "adapt and survive" world.

A daily dose of death and despair. That's my kind of game!!!

H1Z1.

Originally developed by Sony Online Entertainment, H1Z1 is an MMO Zombie Survival for PC.

Probably you've heard about this being a "bad remake" of games like Daylight or DayZ. I'm not sure if I can relate to that comparison (since I haven't played those) therefore I'll just stick with explaining my experiences with H1Z1.

The game is great.

That's it.

Read ya' later

SigmaTaurus.

...

Talk about briefness!!

H1Z1 is still in Early Alpha. Like most Early Alpha games these days, they show you a piece of the pie, then wipe out the servers two or three times before launching a stable version and WE KEEP BUYING THEM ANYWAY.

So you start in a random spot in a (currently) 16,348 Sq Km sized area. You have a flashlight, a belt pouch and your bare hands. From the moment you land, the fight for survival begins. There are no safe zones, no re-spawn points, no mapping references, just you vs. the world.

So you start running towards (I don't know, the west?) since the sun is going down to the horizon, you just follow it hoping to find some remain of civilization.

For now, the Zombies are fairly easy to kill. They are mostly dumb and slow, although some of them run fast. You can punch them like there is not hope for tomorrow until they drop dead, again.

If you are lucky you will find some hatchets, probably a bag pack, some canned food. Nature has been naughty while humankind is disappearing, so you will find wolves and bears looking for a morning meal and you look kinda tasty.

But nature is not your worst enemy. As always the fellowmen is the biggest threat.

Although there are PVE (Person vs. Environment) servers, 90% of the 50+ servers available are PVP (Player vs. Player), which means, ANYONE, ANYWHERE can kill you.

What happens when you die? You re-spawn, again, with your pouch and your flashlight, in a completely random location across the map. Good luck!

The game contains sharp weapons, blunt weapons, guns, shotguns, rifles, bombs, torches, craft-able components, vehicles that require batteries, spark plugs, fuel, an increasingly large list of materials. But most of all, the need to survive is an important aspect in the game. Because dying is so stressful, watching your killer loot you collected through hours of game play can be tough if you don't watch your back.

The game recently added a Battle Royale Mod, which is a free for all, kill everyone to gain prizes mode. But to perfectly enjoy it they first need to remove all hackers (something we will discuss in another article).

In conclusion, H1Z1 provides:

Survival
Zombies
Craft-able stuff
You die, you lose everything
No map
Learning from your mistakes
Making allies or betraying them whenever possible
Being human.

Besides the game costs 10 bucks. Geez, give it a shot.

Read ya' later (for real this time)
SigmaTaurus.

[LINK="http://www.edge-gamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282425"]return to front page[/LINK]
 
Last edited:
Nice job everyone and thanks for reminding us about 808-Stat3 it has been awhile glad to hear he is getting better
 
Back
Top